Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Microwave changeout

I have 2001 Winnebago Journey with a Sharp 1050A microwave/convection oven. The plastic is simply deteriorating. I’ve epoxied some pieces, but the control panel buttons broke. I took the control panel apart, trying to be careful, but the plastic is so brittle that many of the catches broke as I was trying to release the electronics board. I managed to epoxy it back together and reinstalled. At the first push of the fan button, the button broke in half. No use ranting about quality here—the unit is over sixteen years old and no replacement parts are available—though the oven still works. I’ve decided to replace the thing. I’ve read pages of information by folks who have made the change; some writers simply replace the Sharp with a newer model which seems to use the same mounting plate, and that would seem to make the task easier. There are some questions: first, Sharp seems to have a terrible reputation for customer service. Second, the Sharp replacement unit microwaves all seem to put out 850 watts while most other comparable units have 1000 to 1100 watts. Some writers have mentioned that amperage is an issue here, especially when using a 30 amp service. Though the Sharp’s manual says the unit used 13.2 amps. A third issue seems to be venting; some units seem to vent out back or upwards while the R-1850 vents out front. Fourth, some writers have mentioned that there are undocumented attachment screws used by the coach builders. Has anyone changed out one of these in a 2001 Journey? Where are the gotyas? Thanks.
wilson8ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Can't speak about any Journey specific problems, but just changed out a non working GE convection/microwave in my 2004 Tropi-Cal T350. After some looking around decided on a GE micro only model # JVM3160DF2BB, thought it might be my best chance for a similar mounting, WRONG! The wall plate was just a little bit different, and also the top mounting screws were about an inch further outboard, and National did not install the third mounting screw, and of course the power cord hole was different. I think it would be next to impossible to find an exact fit. Power requirements are all going to be the same, in the 13-15 amp range. All of the newer ones I have seen can be vented out the top, back, or front. So basically just get the one you want, we like our Samsung at home, and our GE in coach. The change over was a little bit of a pain, but not as bad as I was expecting.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Since yours exhausts out of the front make sure whatever you get does the same - ie is built for cabinet installation. Convection microwaves get very hot in back in convection mode.
The one I bought as a replacement unit for my first motor home was not intended for built in use and after about 45 minutes in convection mode the temperature in back got up to 200 degrees. It was a lot of work getting the temperature down and involved adding a grill above it, cutting through the wall, adding a flapper vent in that opening and adding an exhaust fan.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I replaced mine and I believe I had the same model in my 01 Ultimate Freedom. It was very simple. I purchased the same model (newer version) almost identical. Mount was exactly the same. I left mounting brackets that couldn't be seen. Our old one was 15 at the time and I know what you mean about the brittle plastic. If your worried about customer service, purchase from a reputable store that will support you. In all my years of microwaves, I don't recall a single warranty issue, they more than outlived their life expectancy in our house.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My solution of the microwave oven issue. I managed to epoxy the brittle plastic frame for the control panel and reinstall it. However, after a couple of cycles of the light and fan buttons, they broke—splintered down the middle. That seemed to call for a replacement though the rest of the unit worked well. Of course, the button set for my unit is no longer available—obsolete. But I searched round on the Sears Parts Direct page and found a still available unit that looked like it had the same button setup even though it had a different part number. It was cheap enough, so I decided to order the part and see it if would work; if didn’t, a few bucks gone, but if it did, several hundred saved. Well, the part arrived, I dropped it into place, and it was a perfect fit. Reinstalled the touch panel and it looks good. I wonder how many people have disposed of a perfectly good unit (like I was about to do) all for want of a five dollar piece. The manufacturer certainly doesn’t help by crosslising more recent parts that would be an exact replacement for obsolete and unavailable parts.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson8ford View Post
My solution of the microwave oven issue. I managed to epoxy the brittle plastic frame for the control panel and reinstall it. However, after a couple of cycles of the light and fan buttons, they broke—splintered down the middle. That seemed to call for a replacement though the rest of the unit worked well. Of course, the button set for my unit is no longer available—obsolete. But I searched round on the Sears Parts Direct page and found a still available unit that looked like it had the same button setup even though it had a different part number. It was cheap enough, so I decided to order the part and see it if would work; if didn’t, a few bucks gone, but if it did, several hundred saved. Well, the part arrived, I dropped it into place, and it was a perfect fit. Reinstalled the touch panel and it looks good. I wonder how many people have disposed of a perfectly good unit (like I was about to do) all for want of a five dollar piece. The manufacturer certainly doesn’t help by crosslising more recent parts that would be an exact replacement for obsolete and unavailable parts.
What was the Sears part Number for the part you ordered?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The part number for the button is JBTNB113MRF0. (The number on the actual package was JBTN-B113MRF0.) Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

replacing samsung microwave in my 02 Minnie winnie

Does anyone know what microwave is available today that will fit the same footprint as my recalled samsung? Thanks.
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote