Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2008, 05:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I kept finding metal shavings on the floor inside the coach whenever I would move the living room slide. I could not see any gouges in the floor or carpet and when I looked under the slide I could not see any metal parts. I took my coach to Lazy Days and they checked it out and said the slide was fine and the shavings were just left over from the construction. I haven't seen any shavings since the service so I think they might be correct. Has anyone else had this issue and does it seem like Lazy Days gave me the right answer?
Bruce

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I kept finding metal shavings on the floor inside the coach whenever I would move the living room slide. I could not see any gouges in the floor or carpet and when I looked under the slide I could not see any metal parts. I took my coach to Lazy Days and they checked it out and said the slide was fine and the shavings were just left over from the construction. I haven't seen any shavings since the service so I think they might be correct. Has anyone else had this issue and does it seem like Lazy Days gave me the right answer?
Bruce

2005 Honda Element
Old 07-19-2008, 05:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I think that's just something you will have to keep an eye on. If the shavings aren't there anymore and they don't return then it's all good. When biulding these things they do leave some wood and metal shavings around and as things are moved around they fall out. You have a new rig so once you find some of these spots and clean them they shoudln't re-appear unless it is below something that may be dropping it from. I have had a screw or 2 come loose from time to time and as things move it scraped metal shaving off. Look for these occassionaly. Make sure you keep things lubed up with the proper lubrication. HTH

Workhorse W-24
Rock-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My new coach has lots of metal shavings around the edges of the inside of the coach. How they keep showing up after I pick em up is beyond me. Makes me wonder if they vacuum these new rigs out at all before they drive them to the dealer. Yes, I think Lazy Days gave you the right answer.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply folks. I feel better now :-)

2005 Honda Element
Old 07-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had exactly the same issue with mine for about the first 6 months of ownership. Every time I put the front slide out there was a small pile of shavings behind the driver's seat. They were small circular shavings like what you would expect from drilling through aluminum, so I suspect that's exactly what is was--leftover from construction. Eventually they stopped appearing.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Leg 1 of our 3 week trip complete and no metal shavings to be found. I am grateful that it appears the problem has been taken care of but I am mad that it took 15 gallons of fuel for the round trip to have the dealer tell me that it was just the factory didn't clean up after the construction. Well, on the bright side I am a little wiser now.

2005 Honda Element
Old 07-21-2008, 03:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Had a similiar situation that ended up being created by the couch/bed that occurred when it was extended for use. Camping World discovered a piece of metal that was scraped each time the couch dropped and left metal shavings behind the drivers seat. No long-term damage.
Oldbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #9

Yup, we had them too. I think I posted an inquiry about it back then and some told us to get it checked but by the time we took it back to the dealer for other punch list items, the shavings seemed to have disappeared.

Glad we're not alone.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote