Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Meridian Propane tank leak at weld

I have a 2004 Itasca Meridian that has a leak on the propane tank. It is at the weld on the bracket that is welded to the tank. This bracket is used to bolt the tank to the frame. I purchased the Meridian in 2007 and a new tank was installed by the time I saw the Meridian. I do not know why it was replaced, I can only guess.

2 weeks ago, I smelled gas, investigated and found gas escaping from the weld on the tank/bracket. I know there was a Campaign on this subject, I think it was Campaign 90. I was able to view this at a dealer and my tank is leaking were the picture exhibited a leak. My tank does not have the new style mounting on it.

Has anyone been successful in getting Winnebago to pay for this repair? This is a fire - explosive hazard. So far my dealer has told me that Winnebago states my model Meridian did not qualify for this campaign and the repair is my problem.

Any ideas on getting Winnebago to repair this known type failure would be appreciated. Thanks, Ernie
Old 08-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There was a recall on LP tanks on 2004 Journeys ... a different set of brackets were installed on my unit ... the original tank was not replaced.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Yes it is dangerous. Only way to "fix" it is have a certified pressure vessel welder purge, weld, and black light or hydrostat the tank. Might be cheaper to replace it with a new one.
GASMAN6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The tank on mine was replaced a couple of years ago by Winnebago at the factory. They had welded and repainted it the previous year and it later developed a leak again. They told me the tank was not one of those covered by the recall but they did replace it with a new tank and a newer type bracket (at no cost to me). Good luck.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone have a photo of what the updated brackets look like as opposed to the OEM?

The tank on our 04 Journey 34H looked brand new when we bought it a year and a half ago.
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I don't have any photos, but they added the brackets and clamps on my 03 Journey DL. The "clamp" part is two 1/4" or thicker steel rings that encircle the tank and the "brackets" mount to the frame of your MH. When installed, they take pressure off of the welds.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

That's ok ernieh. I think they may have done the same update to our 04 34H. I can see where the reinforced thicker tank rings cradle the tank and help support it much better than our friends LP tank mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02621 - Copy.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	71721   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02626 - Copy.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	71722  

Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:31 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

On my previous RV, a 2003 Itasca Horizon, the paperwork showed that the propane tank was retrofitted with new mounts, consisting of steel straps that wrapped around the tank. That was part of the recall.

Looked just like the straps shown in Ron & Cindy's photograph. However, my tank was upside down from theirs (the guard below the valves was actually on top, in my RV. Never made a difference, all worked well.

I noticed that my current RV a 2010, has the same strap mounting system. (although the valve guard is below the valves on this one, as I think it should be)
Old 08-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

This recall goes all the way back to my 2000 Journey. The bracket that was attached to the propane tank did not quite match up to the mounting bracket welded to the frame. But rather than redesign it, Winnebago's assemblers forced them together, causing the bolts to shear off (I tried larger and larger bolts, but they kept failing). During the next several years I spent many days sitting at various dealers while they consulted with Winnebago's engineers and tried out various repair schemes. Each of these repairs also failed in time. I shudder to think how close we might have come to the tank falling off and dragging on the road until something sparked!

Finally, in 2004, Winnebago replaced the entire tank and mounting system.
Guanaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, propane, tank