Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question MCD Blinds

Any suggestions how to adjust our MCD day/night blinds. The white night shades will only go half way up. Had several windows adjusted at Forest City while under warranty. We our out of warranty now.
Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Call MCD M - F they are the nicest folks. Someone hear may provide advice on manually using the "roller wheel" at the top of mechanism - and there may even be advice on their website - but I would call them if it's not an emergency....
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The MCD site has the manuals which give instructions on how to adjust the tension. Not sure if you have power or manual blinds, but there is a speed dial on the end of the blinds to adjust tension on some models.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tour View Post
Any suggestions how to adjust our MCD day/night blinds. The white night shades will only go half way up. Had several windows adjusted at Forest City while under warranty. We our out of warranty now.
Calling is good, they are very nice folks with good phone support. Here is their website MCD Innovations You can download the manual for your particular shade from their.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Gang,
This is not to "hijack" the OPs thread but, I figure it's related to the subject. To those of you using the manual type MCDs, how do you like them so far? Any issues or complaints other than say, the OPs having a retraction issue for part of the shade mechanism? We've presently got the corded infamous "day-night" shades and, while I've tolerated the occasional breaking of a string, I might be leaning towards the MCDs.

I'm interested in the answer or, remedy to the OPs thread here as, if we migrate over to MCDs, I'd like to know in advance on how to handle certain possible issues that may crop up. We're presently at the GNR in Forrest City and, they did have a vendor site during the rally but, at the time we were cruising the vendors area, I was not all that interested in looking farther into them. I've restrung many of the day-night shades in our coach and, while a bit of a pain, it's not all that bad.

It's a lot more of a pain to get them down and back up, from the valance area than to re-string it, to me. But, the thought of never re-stringing again and, maybe having a better product gets more and more enticing. I've even purchased a 3000' roll of the .4 mm cord that is the exact replacement cord for our shades for a mere $9.00 on ebay. So, I've got enough string for a zillion day night shades.

Anyway, your comments on how you all like them so far would be appreciated. Thanks
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gang,
This is not to "hijack" the OPs thread but, I figure it's related to the subject. To those of you using the manual type MCDs, how do you like them so far? Any issues or complaints other than say, the OPs having a retraction issue for part of the shade mechanism? We've presently got the corded infamous "day-night" shades and, while I've tolerated the occasional breaking of a string, I might be leaning towards the MCDs.

I'm interested in the answer or, remedy to the OPs thread here as, if we migrate over to MCDs, I'd like to know in advance on how to handle certain possible issues that may crop up. We're presently at the GNR in Forrest City and, they did have a vendor site during the rally but, at the time we were cruising the vendors area, I was not all that interested in looking farther into them. I've restrung many of the day-night shades in our coach and, while a bit of a pain, it's not all that bad.

It's a lot more of a pain to get them down and back up, from the valance area than to re-string it, to me. But, the thought of never re-stringing again and, maybe having a better product gets more and more enticing. I've even purchased a 3000' roll of the .4 mm cord that is the exact replacement cord for our shades for a mere $9.00 on ebay. So, I've got enough string for a zillion day night shades.

Anyway, your comments on how you all like them so far would be appreciated. Thanks
Scott
Rest assured - don't go to MCD and you will use that string. Go to MCD and you will not - and have a great company standing behind your shades that BTW - look about 150% nicer than accordions. And ours are manual. Going to have the cockpit done in the next few weeks. Got the house done when they had 35% of sale a couple years ago.

Our storage space is 10 miles from their shop in McKinney. They are great folks and the product has so far been awesome.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I replaced the pleated blinds on our three larger windows with manual MCD Duals a couple years back. DW and I both feel it was one of the best upgrades we did. Daytime privacy, nighttime solid, easy to clean, not a single issue so far. No-hassle ordering from MCD (even sent us material samples to choose from.) Not sure I'll bother with the small slideout side windows, but am considering how to do the windshield area next.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem with the bedroom blinds. Rather than take everything apart, I just flip the shade over the top of the roller. That Thales up about 2-3" of blind. Now mine will tuck up under the valance, be fore they wouldn't
Old 07-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Very satisfied with the day/night shades! Allows better visibility in the day and blocks night time light. Provides noticeable insulation form heat and cold. We have used them for two years. MCD is customer oriented. I ordered an incorrect shade and they worked me for an equitable solution. Joy is a very pleasant person to work with when ordering.

I replace the string shades as they brake. Two left to replace!

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Their web site does have manuals you can download with detailed instructions on how to set travel and retraction speed.
As to how we like them - a lot! They provide privacy and insulation from both heat and cold.

There are some cons however. We have had two of the motors on the windshield shades fail and they had to be replaced. I had 3Ts in Lake Havasu replace the first and I had them order the other motor for me and I installed it.

Several of my shades will not hold adjustment - usually retraction speed - and have be adjusted every month or so. The factory has tried to be helpful but so far has no solution for this problem - other than sell me new shades which isn't going to happen.

They were installed at the MCD factory in Oct of 2010.

For what the product costs this should not be happening.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

There is a thumb knob on one end of the shade. Pull the shade about halfway down and turn the knob until it's all the way up. You may have to do it a couple of times to get the desired tension. I have to adjust mine once in a while but it's no big deal.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gang,
This is not to "hijack" the OPs thread but, I figure it's related to the subject. To those of you using the manual type MCDs, how do you like them so far?
Scott
We got the MCD shades in October and other than our solar panels my wife and I agree they were the best upgrade we could have made. We love them. A couple of the shades bind a bit but that's the fault of the amount of space our valences allow. It's not that bad though. We had one stop working we thought but adjusting them according to the manual (or the web site) made it work fine again. We love how dark we can make the bedroom now (especially in Northern Yukon this summer) and best of all how great they look.

Here is a post on our blog about it:
Walkabout With Wheels: New Inductee to the Customer Service Hall of Fame: MCD Innovations Day/Night Shades

The the original poster, check the manual or online and it will tell you how to adjust them. We have the manual shades (except the windshield which is run off the sun visor switches) One side of the manual shades have a gray wheel and the other has a black wheel. One adjusts where it stops when it goes up and the other adjusts how fast it goes up.

We would never be without these shades and if we get another coach we will get them if not already installed.

SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

X2 on how dark the bedroom cam be. We close the doors between the house and the bathroom and close the blinds in the bedroom and it is pitch dark any time of day! That is priceless!!!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

FIRE UP (Scott),
Hey guy how are things?? TeJay here. The TOAD wiring is doing just fine. Again thanks for all the help.

We love the MCD shades. Our coach came with them all around except for the windshield and cab windows. We had CW here install the windshield shades. You can do it yourself. If you call them you can get the instructions for install by customer on-line. I can help by answering any questions you might have. Just send me a PM and Ill give you the skinny on them.

As far as the OP and his problem. We need to know if they are electric or manual. If electric yes the manual is on-line and it is not to hard to figure out.

Take care,
TeJay
Old 07-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Hey Gang, Tejay too,
Glad the wiring is working for you. Anyway, thanks to all who've responded on my question of how you like the MCDs so far. When we get home from our present trip, I think I'll give MCD a call and see what kind of cost we're up against if, we do all the windows. I don't know about the dash or, windshield area 'cause we have an arked windshield area and, the dash protrudes into the area where the straight MCD will go. So, I'll see what they have to offer. Thanks again to all.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

MCD

We replaced the old day night blinds with MCD one window at a time over the past year makes our 2000 Winn 40J looks newer than it is, also I'm able to look out to the right during the day while driving helps to change lanes sometimes the shades are great.
tbethurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

For what it's worth, if you are checking out MCD you might also want to check out Automotionshade - Home . I've seen them advertise in the FMCA mag and appears they have a similar product, both manual and motorized.

Personally, I have the MCD, don't know much about these guys but offering it as an option for you to explore. They claim they are used on Tiffin, Newmar, Fleetwood and Monaco.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=FIRE UP;I don't know about the dash or, windshield area 'cause we have an arked windshield area and, the dash protrudes into the area where the straight MCD will go. So, I'll see what they have to offer. Thanks again to all.
Scott[/QUOTE]

Scott,
Yesterday I took a good look at our Allegro Bus and our "new to us" 2004 Journey. I don't believe the curve of the windshield will be a problem. On our Bus, the shade is installed parallel with the side edges of the windshield and travels up and down resting against the windshield posts. It appears the same setup would work on the Journey, but the surround speakers may need to be relocated slightly to the rear of their current locations.

Jim
Cloudrnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

We love our MCD shades - much nicer than the original ones. They are easy to adjust. We do have one shade that won't keep it's adjustment. It get's tedious adjusting it all the time, but mostly they are great.
sfrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I had MCD install the Gold Series Night shades on the two windows in the center (salon) area and am very pleased with the look and the easy pull down/retraction.

I will say I wish they retracted a little stronger, need to adjust the tension but I can't get in there and twist myself around to break it loose to adjust the end points, but its no big deal.

I put a dark uv/sun resistant (I think 80-90%) they call it limo tint on the bedroom and salon windows last year so I didn't need the day shades, just the night shades.

Great folks at MCD, and a great product. They look so nice and are such an enhancement to the coach it was amazing. Took them less than 20 minutes to install these two. It was well worth the 45.00 they charged to do it, which is a minimum install fee up to an hour I believe. You can order them and install them yourself for free if you are a good handyman, I'm not and was too nervous about those window boxes so I drove the coach up there about 35 miles on appt. and had them do it.

Measure TWICE and according to their instructions!!! I was off about 1/2 inch too short on the space on the shade over the table and they had to either cut it down or lower the arms on the window box, so they lowered the arms enough to get the roller assembly in with the proper clearance, which was a lot easier to do than cutting it down 1/2" and looks great.

Now the only thing I might say is, I think the day/night pleated shades may have more thermal value than the MCD since they are more layers, but it's just an idea I had at one time, no white sheets on it or anything.

I tossed around the idea of the front windshield and side shades for night only but the cost does not justfy the need for me. Instead I'll order new pleated blinds that are heavier and more thermal resistant than the OEM's. I have the outside sunscreens for the front windows and love them since they keep the heat out, let the pups look out during the day without anyone seeing in, like the limo tint on the windows does.

I love mine, and heartily recommend them.

Pics of the install. One pic is the old dinette window day night shade. Due to the nature of the shell/curve on the bottom of the top of the valance/fabric, you still can see a part of the MCD shade when retracted, they don't go completely out of site, but it is trivial and the colors blend so well you can't see it unless looking at it very hard.

Best wishes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140422_082249_618.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	68929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140422_082102_519.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	68930  

Click image for larger version