Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Maytag Fridge in Journey 40U

Have a 2012 40U with the residential Maytag frige, having trouble keeping the refrig. left and right doors closed during traveling. They seem to vibrate open. Anyone have a suggestion, just returned from a short trip from Dallas to Houston and back and had to use one of my belts tied around the handles.
FlatwaterMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

WE have a Samsung French door model. The two upper doors have a vertical handle on each door. We use a Velcro strap around both handles.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

10,000 Miles in our 36M - after dumping a gallon of milk at mile ten we went to a bungee cord wrapped around the 2 handles three times and has not come open ever again.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatwaterMG View Post
Have a 2012 40U with the residential Maytag frige, having trouble keeping the refrig. left and right doors closed during traveling. They seem to vibrate open. Anyone have a suggestion, just returned from a short trip from Dallas to Houston and back and had to use one of my belts tied around the handles.
Our's has "cabinet" catches at the top of each door. Haven't had any problems. Do you have the catches? Maybe earlier in 2012 production run didn't have the catches. If you don't have, ask dealer to install. Winnie will probably pay for?

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I removed our factory installed catches after one screw stripped out of the door.

Like rream we use bungee cord, works great.

We looked at a new 2013 Journey 36M while at the factory to decide on replacing our shower door with the new style sliding doors and noticed they have designed a wood spring loaded door catch. It is located on top of refer, pull out, twist 180 deg and release. Worked great, for taller folks. Sharon at 5'2" couldn't operate it.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Cabinet Catches at the top.....

Thank to all that responded. Took a quick drive to where we have RV stored to take a look at the frige and did find screwed into the top center of the chassis of the frige two what was left of catches. Found four holes drilled into the left and right doors opposite the catch carcuses. Looks like a catch was there at some time, someone at dealer must have broke them and decided to not fix. Will call manufacture to see what they have comeup with now.
FlatwaterMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Velcro strap on ours
Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #8

Of course I had to go check this out on our fridge. We have the double door bottom freezer Whirlpool in our 2013 Tour. There is a latch for the freezer drawer since I am sure vibration would probably cause ito open. However,there are no latches on the upper doors. They are so tight to open you really have to give them a good tug to open the doors. I'm thinking the driver would have to go "off road " to make those things open on their own. And I know that is NEVER going to happen with my DH behind the wheel.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenda1908 View Post
Of course I had to go check this out on our fridge. We have the double door bottom freezer Whirlpool in our 2013 Tour. There is a latch for the freezer drawer since I am sure vibration would probably cause ito open. However,there are no latches on the upper doors. They are so tight to open you really have to give them a good tug to open the doors. I'm thinking the driver would have to go "off road " to make those things open on their own. And I know that is NEVER going to happen with my DH behind the wheel.
As I stated i dumped mine at mile 10, good luck
Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

One of our factory added cabinet latches striped out (door side). A slightly wider screw fixed it.
We also have a U-shaped plastic piece we got from Dennis (an Ellipse owner).
Between the 2, we havent had any issues with the fridge doors.
The latch for the freezer door blew out its spacer. But we just replaced it with an appropriate sized rubber washer. Works great.

Here is a couple pictures of the U-lock. Its about 1/2 thick. We put some magnets on the back so it sticks to the fridge when not in use (Kudos to Dennis).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0070.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	34530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0072.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	34531  

Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We have the 3 door Maytag ( I think) I'm not there to verify brand. We have the metal clip for the freezer door and the wooden block at the top for the double doors. Seems to work well.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #12

I'm just wondering why the doors on the residential fridg's are hard to keep closed. In our last 5 coaches we had the standard RV refridgerators and I never had to secure those doors. They never opened on me when traveling. Also, they didn't seem as tight and secure as the one we have now. I understand the freezer drawer may "wonder"therefore there is a latch for that, but not the doors. I'll take your word for it if you had it happen and I guess I will just take my chances
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

These ball bungees work pretty well and don't scratch anything .... various lengths are available. You can make multiple wraps around stuff with the longer ones.
Sigman 6 in. Tarp Ball Bungee (25-Pack)-BB06B at The Home Depot

Work well for holding chairs in place during transit.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenda1908 View Post
I'm just wondering why the doors on the residential fridg's are hard to keep closed. In our last 5 coaches we had the standard RV refridgerators and I never had to secure those doors. They never opened on me when traveling. Also, they didn't seem as tight and secure as the one we have now. I understand the freezer drawer may "wonder"therefore there is a latch for that, but not the doors. I'll take your word for it if you had it happen and I guess I will just take my chances
RV fridges have a mechanical latch, rather than the magnetic latch on residential fridges. Early household fridges used to have mechanical latches also, but that was a long time ago.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer View Post
One of our factory added cabinet latches striped out (door side). A slightly wider screw fixed it.
We also have a U-shaped plastic piece we got from Dennis (an Ellipse owner).
Between the 2, we havent had any issues with the fridge doors.
The latch for the freezer door blew out its spacer. But we just replaced it with an appropriate sized rubber washer. Works great.

Here is a couple pictures of the U-lock. Its about 1/2 thick. We put some magnets on the back so it sticks to the fridge when not in use (Kudos to Dennis).
Wow very nice I wish I could get one to replace my bungee cord.

Tags
journey, fridge