Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-07-2018, 07:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

MaxFan Rear Ceiling Fan Stopped Working

My 2018 Sunstar rear ceiling fan stopped working. It has been working since March when I picked up the RV. I wanted to check a few things if possible before I bring the unit in for service. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Replace motor only? Check wires?

Is this complicated to replace? Instructions or link to manual would be helpful too.
ajkishgolf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It's unlikely the wires themselves are bad. You're going to have to troubleshoot it to determine the cause of the problem. In doing so, you run the risk of compounding the problem. Even if you don't damage it further, any signs of disassembly may be enough for the dealer to void warranty coverage on it.

Therefore, since this is a new rig, under warranty, I wouldn't fool around with it.

Nonetheless, the most likely problems are:

1. Tripped breaker, check your 12v breaker panel.
2. Blown fuse at the fan (if there is one). If this is the issue, why did it blow?
3. Faulty wall switch, if you have one.
4. Loose power or ground connection at the fan.
5. Faulty switch/control at the fan.
6. Failed motor.

All of these, except #1. will require some degree of disassembly, poking around with a multimeter and possibly disconnecting a wire or two.

I applaud you for wanting to DIY and, although it's not that complicated, it does require some skill in using a multimeter, knowledge of how the fan is designed and familiarity with 12V circuits.

Just let the dealer take care of it, and, while you're at it, make a list of anything else that isn't working properly. By the time your warranty has expired, you'll know a lot more about your rig and can join the rest of us DIYers.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Great advice. Thanks.
ajkishgolf12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, fan