Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2007, 05:38 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Is it just me or are these basement A/C heat pumps the most repaired items on the rig? I have a fight with mine at least once a year for the last 3 now?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:57 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Haven't had any problems with heat pump now in 5 years. It is used a lot down in Florida in the mornings. Have replace thermostats 2 times and on the 3rd one.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:24 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
Did Lichtsinn tell you why the thermostat stops #2 compressor from kicking in or staying on line? My dealer did not tell me in detail, just said it failed to provide 110V to #2 compressor. As I related in my original post, this is the 3rd thermostat in this coach. I am curious as to the reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think all of our thermostat problems are with the switch that you use to either have it set in Cool, Off, Furnace, or Elec. Heat. position.
I noticed that if I dont really push hard to get the switch all the way to the left for the Cool position, that only compressor one will work. I think over time, that switch goes bad.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:04 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Mike: Thanks for the come back on the thermostat. I too had problems with the little switch you refer to. Eventually it just stopped working except for compressor #1. I wish I had pursued this further with he service manager when I picked up the coach.
Oh well, two thermostats were sent free, the 3rd cost me a bundle, but I am happy to have #2 compressor running again.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:51 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ISLAPP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
Did Lichtsinn tell you why the thermostat stops #2 compressor from kicking in or staying on line? My dealer did not tell me in detail, just said it failed to provide 110V to #2 compressor. As I related in my original post, this is the 3rd thermostat in this coach. I am curious as to the reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think all of our thermostat problems are with the switch that you use to either have it set in Cool, Off, Furnace, or Elec. Heat. position.
I noticed that if I dont really push hard to get the switch all the way to the left for the Cool position, that only compressor one will work. I think over time, that switch goes bad.
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was hoping that was the case with mine since I did fuss around with the switch like you said and had #2 working for a minute or 2. Got the new thermostat and didn't solve the problem. Hate to think that one's bad. Dave at Lichtsinn said there'd been a redesign of them also.

1:45 PM Hre's an update. I found a fried wire that look like a jumper between 2 terminals on the #2 compessor relay. Too hot outside to work on it but I'll get to it later. The pdf manual says its the #2 relay (12v). Question is, why is it cooked? Stay tuned!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Tim, I have not heard of that particular problem lately, I don't believe. Most of the issues are with the run or start capacitors or the start switches on top of them. I think I would just change out the particular wire that is burnt and see what happens. I wonder if the wire could have been loose or corroded. Now I am not a service tech so you might check with rvcomfort first and see if they agree.
Mike
Old 09-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Yup. gonna replace the wire and go from there
Old 09-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Well I replaced the wire. It looked fried at the terminal and the relay housing looks a little on the melted side. So far, no #2 compresser.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:34 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think all of our thermostat problems are with the switch that you use to either have it set in Cool, Off, Furnace, or Elec. Heat. position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've never had that problem. The only thermostat problems I am personally familiar with is a totally "dead" thermostat ...no display, nothing at all works. I've had that problem, and have friends who have also.

I've had a burned up #2 start capacitor (1st year of ownership), and have replaced both the inside and the outside blower motors (3rd & 4th yrs).
Old 09-05-2007, 03:55 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

I have had the fried wire inside the box at the A/C control center. Short black wire. Had tech replace after checking all of the other electrical equipment and their values. He called the manf before replacing wire. He was told that it most likely was loose at one end and burned from arcing. He replaced and I had no more problems until the thermostat failed.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:17 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

I have had the fried wire inside the box at the A/C control center. Short black wire. Had tech replace after checking all of the other electrical equipment and their values. He called the manf before replacing wire. He was told that it most likely was loose at one end and burned from arcing. He replaced and I had no more problems until the thermostat failed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had this wire fry once before and they had to replace the relay also. With the warranty in effect, they replaced a circuit board, start capacitors, blower motor and I suspect any one of these things could have been the failure. Seem like no one diagnoses anymore, just replace parts. I'll be back at it today looking for more loose or cooked wires. Does anyone know if I can buy parts directly from RVP?
Old 09-05-2007, 04:50 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Tim, I am almost positive you can buy parts direct from RVP. They will overnight also I believe if needed.
Mike
Old 09-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ISLAPP:
Tim, I am almost positive you can buy parts direct from RVP. They will overnight also I believe if needed.
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's their response:
Hello:

Unfortunately we do not sell the parts direct. You will need to go thru your local rv dealer or Camping World or other retail outlet.

The part number is 1460-1131 for the relay and 8333A9021 for the start kit.

Thanks

Keith Ince

RVP Tec Service

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 11:22 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: A/C Heat pump

I have a 2002 Winnebago with an RVP 6535 basement unit. I'd like to purchase a #2 Compressor Relay 12 VDC Coil as described in Page 11 of the service manual and a start capacitor kit. I prefer NOT to go thru the local dealers here in NJ.

Please let me know if this is possible to purchase directly from you.

Thank You