Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Major Full Wall Slide (FWS) problem

Today I discovered a major problem with my Full Wall Slide which may be a very difficult fix. I first noticed the end cap to the Power Gear slide out ram (gear drive) was loose and would not fully retract with the slide. Upon closer examination, the two bolts that attach the floor to the ram had sheared off, causing the center of the slide to drop about 1/2". I brought it to the WBGO Service Dept for further diagnosis and repair. It is almost impossible to get your hand above the upper half of the bolt which according to WBGO, these two bolts are welded in place. Factory service recommends jacking the ram and welding the bolt back together. Not sure if this will do the trick and maintain integrity. Wondering if extended warranty will cover this, since it appears to be a manufacturer defect. Any suggestions?
vegas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

When you said you took it to the WBGO service center, was that in Forest City? Sounds like the whole slide out needs to be removed. What did Power Gear have to say? You might give 3T's in Lake Havasu. I had a friend who needed major side repairs and they did it right. However his was an HWH system but it was a mechanical break not a hydraulics prob.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

This was at the local Winnebago Dealer/ Service. They called Forest City for advice and were told to weld it.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tom! Power Gear was never contacted since it appears to be a Winnie issue. Are you suggesting I call Lake Havasu, or bring it there. It's a bit far from CT!
Old 03-01-2016, 04:26 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I thought you might per chance be a full timer and could travel. From what I have seen and heard is the trick is to remove the whole slide to get proper access for the grinding and weld. I have seen these removed with two 1/2 ton forklifts but they have to know what they are doing and work it tandem. A single forklift with proper spreaders could do it. Make sure your dealer is comfortable with this to the point that they can make you comfortable. Don't forget your proper grounding for the weld. A competent welder goes without saying. You may have to schedule a vacation trip to the WGBO factory for this. Good luck and keep us posted.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas1 View Post

This was at the local Winnebago Dealer/ Service. They called Forest City for advice and were told to weld it.
If you look HERE: edgray Gallery - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery you will find two pictures of the same type failure on my 37F FWS. Mine was the two bolts in the center support, not the powered arms. I suspect the failures are because the bolts used by WBGO are not grade 8 which can withstand higher loads than whatever grade they apparently used. Each of mine have been welded (at separate times) after each one broke and allowed the slide to drop down just enough to prevent opening the compartment doors below the slide. Since they were welded at my local service center the slide as performed as expected, but I'm always careful to run it after getting straight and as level as possible.

FWIW, I was told that welding was the ONLY option short of removing the entire slide box and replacing the bolts with better quality bolts.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

According to techs in Forest City, you have to grind the hole surface flush and then weld a grade 8 Bolt to the underside. The big problem is that is is a very tight space to weld, especially the back side of the bolt. Thanks for sharing the photos!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Would it be possible to drill out the welded bolt head from below and replace with a threaded rod, double nutted on top, as it is on the bottom?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
Would it be possible to drill out the welded bolt head from below and replace with a threaded rod, double nutted on top, as it is on the bottom?
That's what I was thinking... ought to be able to slip a nut up on top in there, then run either a bolt or threaded rod up into it.

Could upsize the bolt diameter while you're at it.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
According to techs in Forest City, you have to grind the hole surface flush and then weld a grade 8 Bolt to the underside. The big problem is that is is a very tight space to weld, especially the back side of the bolt. Thanks for sharing the photos!
What I would love to know is "why" WBGO didn't use the grade 8 bolts on your 2012 model. I can assure you they have known about these bolts breaking since my 2010 model was almost brand new.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Make sure you have the best ground possible, the closer to the actual weld, the better. I would be really worried about welding on a coach with all the electronics installed. I would unplug everything you can, pull all the breakers, disconnect batteries etc, and hope for the best. Just re-welding the under strength bolts in my opinion is just jury rigging a poor design. What do the actual slide manufacturers say about it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Drilling out the hole and slipping a nut at the top sounds like a great idea, but I don't believe you will find a right angle drill powerful and small enough to fit in the space. The photos I provided were a close-up shot and the work space is much smaller than shown.
I dropped the coach off at the selling dealer today and going to see if the tech can take a picture of the fix so I can share it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will keep you all posted!
Old 03-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Sad to say but this is another example of the NEW Winnebago QC business plan. This should never happen. The bolts on the basement of my '05 vectra had a history of breaking. Same grade bolt???

Rick Y
Old 03-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Drilling out the hole and slipping a nut at the top sounds like a great idea, but I don't believe you will find a right angle drill powerful and small enough to fit in the space. The photos I provided were a close-up shot and the work space is much smaller than shown.
I dropped the coach off at the selling dealer today and going to see if the tech can take a picture of the fix so I can share it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will keep you all posted!

Just a thought, and I don't know how the slide is configured, but what is ABOVE the point where the bolt broke? By that I mean, is it possible you could remove the couch, or dinette, or whatever, pull back carpet, cut a hole with a hole saw so you can access the bolt from the top? That way, you could drill it out, put in the proper grade bolt (the one it should have had from the factory apparently), weld it in place if necessary, then attach the cut plug to a larger square of metal, drill two or four holes in the metal overlap and screw back down to bottom of slide, reinstall carpet, and you would have a permanent fix, but still be able to easily access the bolts if necessary!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Vegas1, when I looked at my coach I noticed that the yoke can be removed. I saw 2 welds on the front of the plate. I couldn't see behind it without a mirror. Have you considered blocking up the slide, removing the rack rail and yoke assembly to gaining access to the plate that way? If the plate can be removed your fix becomes more plausible with the grade 8 bolts. Just a thought.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Today I picked up the coach from the dealer. Two bolts were installed per Winnebago Factory advice. (Welded at sheer point) Slide was also re-aligned. Not the prettiest weld or preferred method, but all I can do is keep my fingers crossed when moving the slide. Thank you all for your support and suggestions.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Today I picked up the coach from the dealer. Two bolts were installed per Winnebago Factory advice. (Welded at sheer point) Slide was also re-aligned. Not the prettiest weld or preferred method, but all I can do is keep my fingers crossed when moving the slide. Thank you all for your support and suggestions.
Grade 8 bolt I hope? Poor weld job??? I hope it stays together better this time.

I spray CRC Power Lube with PTFE on my racks and gears. So far so good and the slides seem to work smoother, in both directions, than before I started using this stuff.

I truly hope we never hear from you again about a bolt failure.

Happy trails and many of them.

Rick Y
Old 09-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #18
2012 Itasca Suncruiser

Quote:
Good morning, I'm experiencing broken bolt problems like you did in my 2012 Suncruiser 35p full wall slide. Do you have any photos showing the welds that the dealer did? I'm not able to get to a dealer for repair and am having a local mobile welder evaluate if he can do the job. Any photos or additional description you can provide would be greatly appreciated. TIA, Cal 623-363-9779 [email protected]
Azcal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azcal77 View Post
Good morning, I'm experiencing broken bolt problems like you did in my 2012 Suncruiser 35p full wall slide. Do you have any photos showing the welds that the dealer did? I'm not able to get to a dealer for repair and am having a local mobile welder evaluate if he can do the job. Any photos or additional description you can provide would be greatly appreciated. TIA, Cal 623-363-9779 [email protected]
What slide rail manufacturer do you have? Power Gear by chance? 4 bolts on end plate snapped or stripped?
Old 09-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #20
2012 Itasca Suncruiser

Vertical adjustment bolts broken.

It is a Power Gear slide out. The broken bolts are the vertical adjustment bolts. See the attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180914_113023.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	170268   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180914_113031.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	170269  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180914_113052.jpg