Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post
Well the turbo problem, leaky CAC, and other problems may be real, but what I don't buy is the rich mixture causing the EGR sensor to fail. I think that most all these engines use a MAF sensor to determine mixture. This accounts for altitude, and pressure or lack of it from the turbo. Just not sure how it ran rich? Maybe someone else can explain.
I read years ago that Cat did not do well with altitude changes and that the engine needed to be tweaked if driving into altitude. I have always had Cummins and no problems with altitude. No Tweaks and no problems.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Couple answers from the OP to questions above.

It's not the EGR sensor that has failed, it's the valve itself. It won't close past 20%. It's a mechanical failure. The service manager speculated that the failed turbo may have contributed to an early demise of the EGR valve, but who knows.

Regarding the CAC leakage and the possibility that the turbo is fine, accoriding to Cummins, they physically tested the turbo and diagnosed the variable geometry actuator (or whatever the technical name for this component is) as being faulty, both when the turbo is hot and cold.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #43
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan H View Post
Couple answers from the OP to questions above.
Regarding the CAC leakage and the possibility that the turbo is fine, accoriding to Cummins, they physically tested the turbo and diagnosed the variable geometry actuator (or whatever the technical name for this component is) as being faulty, both when the turbo is hot and cold.
Its very possible that a carbon/soot build up could limit the full movement of the Part of the turbo that slides thus showing it was bad.

along the same lines
Last week My 73 year old Father just paid a $400 bill for a oil change and a water pump replacement on his 2008 Ford Ranger. I warned Him That this Dealer might try to bend him over,......and they did just that.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #44
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Its very possible that a carbon/soot build up could limit the full movement of the Part of the turbo that slides thus showing it was bad.

along the same lines
Last week My 73 year old Father just paid a $400 bill for a oil change and a water pump replacement on his 2008 Ford Ranger. I warned Him That this Dealer might try to bend him over,......and they did just that.

Sounds to me like a pretty good price for an oil change and a water pump replacement.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #45

Quote:

along the same lines
Doesn't sound to far off. Book time is 1.5 hours to 2.5 hr depending on the engine. Add coolant and water pump (Mitchel shows $90-190 depending on engine) plus the oil change. Doesn't sound to bad. Way cheaper to do it yourself but looks like he did not want to.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #46
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Sounds to me like a pretty good price for an oil change and a water pump replacement.

Sammie
Dad said he called NAPA ( Usually the high price leaders, if you don't use a business name) and a Water pump was $69.99
He was charged $169.99 for the part
Old 09-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #47
Winnebago Camper

I have replaced two turbos under warranty (thank goodness). I wouldn't want to drive a rig to far, if at all, with a malfunctioning turbo. What if $4k turns into $6km because you drove it for a bit longer to get a second opinion?. So sometimes that's the price of RVing I guess. Same with big commercial rigs. I don't think they drive their units across the state seeking second and third opinions. I would review the garage that is doing your work though. JMHO
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #48

Quote:
Dad said he called NAPA ( Usually the high price leaders, if you don't use a business name) and a Water pump was $69.99
What engine in the ranger?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #49
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
What engine in the ranger?
4.0L V6
Old 09-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #50

Quote:
A new Ford water pump list for $182 and a Autozone water pump list for $125. I would imagine that the Ford dealer used a Ford new water pump and gave him a discount on it.