Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Maintanence on View Roof

We purchased an 07 View recently and are excited about our new style of traveling. I am trying to outfit and do some PM on the coach while we wait for the weather to break and crawled up on the roof today just to check thing out. I am not sure, but I think our roof is fiberglass. It appears to be sound and all the caulking seems to be in good order. Is there any PM that I need to do to the roof such as sealants over the general area?

Comments from other view owners as to the type of roof material and required maintenance would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
WNDOPDLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Every 6 months inspect the sealant for cracking, tearing and lifting. It can lift along the edges and just looking at it will not uncover the weakness.

On mine I use Dicor self leveling sealant. It is highly recommended, though there are others. Do not use silicone or any other caulk not recommend for RV roofs.

If the sealant is cracking, you can cover it with new layers of Dicor. If it is lifting, I recommend cutting it out with plastic or wooden chisel and cleaning with acetone and reapplying Dicor. I also use a product called Eternabond.

On my 05 Winnebago, I have redone most all of the sealant with the exception of the shower's skylight which I just repaired any cracks.

I don't know what your roof is like, my class A has front and rear seams where the caps meet the roof. I removed this sealant and replaced it with Dicor and then Eternabond. This area of class A's is problematic so I made sure to avoid any future issues. I also did this same treatment to the side seams from front to rear.

When you first start looking, its easy to miss some things so go over it slowly and and be aggressive about keeping the water out.

Oh, and :welcome:

Also, when you have a specific model question like type of roof you could check out the Owners Forums where Winnebago's are discussed.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Nomad Mike, when you treated your side seams did you do anything special. My MH is about 35' and I was thinking about putting Eternabond along the side seams as well. Did you do one complete run or do it in various lengths? Did you apply while on the roof or did you work from the side on a ladder? Any special handling of the roll of Eternabond? Any helpful hints you can provide will be appreciated.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR View Post
...I think our roof is fiberglass. It appears to be sound and all the caulking seems to be in good order. Is there any PM that I need to do to the roof such as sealants over the general area?
We owned a 2006 WGO View 23J for 8 years and drove it 80K miles. For the first 6 years, it was stored outside in San Diego. In 2012, we parked it under the Arizona sun, beating the snot out of the paint job. We built a shelter in 2013 and then sold it in 2014.

Yes, the roof is fiberglass and, during all that time, we never had any issues with the roof. I checked it occasionally but the self leveling sealant never showed any signs of cracking, peeling or otherwise failing.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you go HERE to this Winnebago site you can download a cross sectional picture and instructions on how to check the roof edge seam.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
Nomad Mike, when you treated your side seams did you do anything special. My MH is about 35' and I was thinking about putting Eternabond along the side seams as well. Did you do one complete run or do it in various lengths? Did you apply while on the roof or did you work from the side on a ladder? Any special handling of the roll of Eternabond? Any helpful hints you can provide will be appreciated.
I stripped out weak sealant, probably a third on each side. I replaced that sealant with Geocel 28100V Pro Flex Crystal Clear RV Flexible Sealant - 10 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FC98X2..._Sm-0wb6KSJ96B which has been highly recommend for this seam area. I let that cure for about two weeks.

For the Eternabond I used 2" black one continuos roll for each side. Before application I cleaned the area with acetone. For the application I stood on a step ladder, used Eternaprime, let it get tacky, then roll out about two or three feet resting the roll onto the roof with enough slack so as to be out of the way as I removed the backing a few inches at a time and placed it to the seam, it will stick immediately so carefull placement is important. I used the Eternabond roller and some dull round plastic dental pick to put pressure where the roll or my fingers and thumb could not reach as it is pressure activated.

People don't even notice it as it just look like black trim.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Nomad Mike for the follow up. That is pretty much how I was planning on doing it as well. I just was not sure how I was going to handle the placement of tape and removing the backing during the process. I've started cleaning and removing old caulk but the weather has not been very cooperative, but it is still February. I think I'll start around the vents, etc. for some practice, etc. before tackling the front/end caps and the side rails.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
Thanks Nomad Mike for the follow up. That is pretty much how I was planning on doing it as well. I just was not sure how I was going to handle the placement of tape and removing the backing during the process. I've started cleaning and removing old caulk but the weather has not been very cooperative, but it is still February. I think I'll start around the vents, etc. for some practice, etc. before tackling the front/end caps and the side rails.
That's what I did, all the vents, antenna's etc then caps and sides. By the time I got to the caps and sides I had lots of practice at Dicor and Eternabond.

Tags
roof