Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lost my dash blower/AC

Went to install a Ham radio in my 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 29r yesterday. Started the engine as I usually do when I visit the rig (it stays in a storage lot). It has been about two weeks since I'd started it.
I noticed that I had no blower, and I don't hear the AC compressor cycling. I checked fuses and they all are good. I pulled the connector off the blower motor and there's no voltage there.
Any ideas?
HELP!!!?
n9iui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Try looking for a bad ground wire comming from the blower motor. You don't happen to have a mouse or rat problem in the storage yard do you? They can eat thru wires and cause all kinds of problems. Rabbits too.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

No, no problem with critters. Blower motor doesn't have a separate ground wire. Voltage isn't getting to the blower.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I've replaced fuses and relays to no avail. I find that there is no voltage getting to the blower motor, or to the blower speed resistors.
I guess it's a trip to camping world next.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

If you have been under the dash installing stuff make sure the plugs are tight at the rear of the control head.
rv.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv.guru
If you have been under the dash installing stuff make sure the plugs are tight at the rear of the control head.
What is the control head?
Old 09-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Back side of controls on the dash
Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv.guru
Back side of controls on the dash
Yeah, I haven't been able to remove the radio to get at the blower control. I have the removal tools but it just won't release. All I can do is reach around the radio and make sure that the connector is on good.

I can't imagine that installing the Ham radio caused the problem. I used the factory prepped CB wiring to power the Ham rig, so I wasn't really messing with any other wiring.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Sometimes it takes a bump or little pull on a wire and all hell can break loose. Just a silly question, but did you have the house batteries turned on, I know on some monaco's they wont work as well as a few other key items if the batteries are off.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The fuse holder for the blower is under the hood. It is a small plastic 3/4 X 1 inch dia. It has two or three fuses.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Check the resistor block

Many of the RV AC blower motors have a resistor block that steps the voltage down to get the different motor speeds. I don't know if your system uses this technique but these resistor blocks carry a lot of current and the contacts often become corroded. Finding this resistor block can be interesting. Some times they are on or near the AC blower motor and sometimes they are up front under the hood so they get some cooling air. They are 2-3" x 1-2" with coiled wires that are the actual resistors. Fairly easy to remove, fairly cheap to replace, fairly hard to find.
bgbevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbevan
Many of the RV AC blower motors have a resistor block that steps the voltage down to get the different motor speeds. I don't know if your system uses this technique but these resistor blocks carry a lot of current and the contacts often become corroded. Finding this resistor block can be interesting. Some times they are on or near the AC blower motor and sometimes they are up front under the hood so they get some cooling air. They are 2-3" x 1-2" with coiled wires that are the actual resistors. Fairly easy to remove, fairly cheap to replace, fairly hard to find.
I covered that a few post up, but thanks for the help anyway. The connectors for the resistor block are fine, other than there being no voltage on any of the wires there.

The fuses check good in that fuse block under the hood. I even replaced the relays just in case.

I'm really at my wits end on this thing, and I make my living as an electronics technician!!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

It might be the ignition switch believe it or not, since blower power runs through there, Does the dash radio work properly? Try the Accessory position.

Now, My dash radio gave me fits.. Turns out removing and replacing the perfectly good fuse fixed it.. Or else torquing the wireing harness, not sure which but I made no changes and now it's working

The only solution is to remove the fuse block and check for pwer on the fuse "Load" lead. (use a test lamp not a volt meter) then find the blower switch and check for power there, then keep moving till you no longer "See the light" as it were.

If you are a ham, you should be able to figure it out from there.. 73 DE WA8YXM

Tags
dash