Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lost a jack pad and stuck on rv pad??

Hi all
Just arrived in Las Vegas Rv park got all set up, Jacks down slides out etc...
Did a walk around, and noticed that all 4 hwh jacks are down and the coach is level, but rr jack has lost its springs and pad.I Tried to retract them and only the 3 with springs attached retracted. The one culprit with no springs attached will not retract even after several tries! What to do? The biggest problem I have, is its 93 in vegas and the asphalt is soft, so the actuator has counter sunk itself about an 1" deep into the ashphalt, and I cant get a pry bar underneath it to try and pound it up with hammer? I called all the rv dealers and repair facilities in and near Vegas and no one stocks the pad and spring, they all offer to order for me from hth but it takes about 3 weeks. we want to head back to Wa Thurs Am
Any ideas welcome
Obviously I cant move the rig with the one jack still down!
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Can you take a vise grip or other locking pliers or clamp and clamp it at the bottom of the ram? You should be able to get a pry bar under the pliers to raise the ram.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Wow, that's a tough one! Somehow you're going to have to push it back in and that won't be easy since the end is into the blacktop now. The vise grip idea might work but you will have to be sure not to let the jaws scratch the surface where it goes into the sealed off area.
Can you lower the RV's opposite side or end enough to bring the ram end above the pav't? Probably not as it's not an air suspension rig.
Can you put a jack under the frame next to the ram and raise the RV enough to get the ram above the pav't, then put a board between the ram and pav't? That would use some of the RV weight to help push the ram up. Then raise the RV and add blocks as the ram is pushed up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Any type of tool with teeth will scar the ram and cause it to leak. I would get a piece of rubber to protect the ram and also to help grip it. Wrap it around the ram take a L bracket (the largest they have) from Lowes or Home Depot attach it to the ram (On top of the rubber) with 2 worm clamps and pry it up with a 2 X 4.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

You may need to rent / borrow a jack strong enough to raise that corner of your rig high enough to get a pry bar under the jack shaft.
Like 'D' says, dont scratch that cylinder or you'll be dealing with a leaking jack down the road !
Old 04-01-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
..... raise the RV enough to get the ram above the pav't, then put a board between the ram and pav't? ....
With enough lumber under the three jacks that still work, you can raise the coach and pull the stuck ram out of the asphalt.

Nah, don't try that, (I'm picturing the 11'o clock news copter showing a motorhome rig in Las Vegas on it's side).

Just rent a large floor jack as 96 Wideglide mentions. If you have a roadservice membership, they might be able to lift it out using a large jack.

As a last resort, you can probably unbolt the one jack from the chassis frame.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Get a pry bar similar to the ones on this page and drive it into the asphalt under the ram to pry it up. Lowes, Homedepot, or any Auto Parts will have them.

Hand Tools at Harbor Freight Tools
Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I am curious about what happened to the jack pad and spring?

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Wow, Been Boating and RV'ing for over 40 years and I have never experienced anything like this before, As they say first time for everything. Thanks for the reminder, I just purchased Good Sam roadside assistance before the trip, I called them and they are sending a tow truck and think they will able to un pin me! Funny, I never thought to call them first. Ill let you know if it was worth the $59.00 bucks!!
As for how it might have happened, We spent a night at the Bakersfield RV resort, Beautiful spot, Nicer than Vegas. We Gassed up at the ARCO there and there was quite a dip when exiting their driveway and we bottomed out. Must have happened then!
Old 04-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Remove the hose at the jack, get a nylon web type strap wrench around the piston and try twisting it as you pull up. With the line off, you remove all the resistance, of pushing the oil thru the system.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Remove the hose at the jack, get a nylon web type strap wrench around the piston and try twisting it as you pull up. With the line off, you remove all the resistance, of pushing the oil thru the system.
Twinboat is right. You can't get the jack to come up as long as the line is blocked. You will have to put the jack in the retract position while prying it up.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Rather than undoing the hydraulic line at the jack (and losing a bunch of fluid) you should open the corresponding T-handle at the pump to allow the fluid to flow back into the reservoir.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

With the jacks in retract position the spring is supposed to pull it up. Therefore with the jacks in retract position you should be able to quite easily raise the shaft as there should be nothing closed in the system.

I have observed on the neighbours jacks the shaft does not fully retract into the cylinder. There is a couple inches that remain outside. Wrapping a piece of rubber, etc would protect the ram.

All moot as the rescue service will fix the issue.

It is interesting. The neigbours retracts are two springs, one on each side of the jack. As well the plate bolts on the bottom of the ram. The plate when fully retracted still has some tension in the springs. A bump should not detach the plate and springs.

If a bump caused the issues there may be damage to the ram or cylinder as well????
Old 04-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milom View Post
Hi all
Just arrived in Las Vegas Rv park got all set up, Jacks down slides out etc...
Did a walk around, and noticed that all 4 hwh jacks are down and the coach is level, but rr jack has lost its springs and pad.I Tried to retract them and only the 3 with springs attached retracted. The one culprit with no springs attached will not retract even after several tries! What to do? The biggest problem I have, is its 93 in vegas and the asphalt is soft, so the actuator has counter sunk itself about an 1" deep into the ashphalt, and I cant get a pry bar underneath it to try and pound it up with hammer? I called all the rv dealers and repair facilities in and near Vegas and no one stocks the pad and spring, they all offer to order for me from hth but it takes about 3 weeks. we want to head back to Wa Thurs Am
Any ideas welcome
Obviously I cant move the rig with the one jack still down!
put the leveler in manual... lift the opoising jack.... that should get the ram out of the asphalt...

try to put block under the ram then retract the jacks..you should be able to retract the ram that way or pry it up or keep stacking block under it
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

if you need a hand call me and i'll come help you out...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Wrap a leather belt twice around the shaft and use a portable jack,, Wrap the belt around the head of the jack and have your partner press the RETRACT button.. YOu should have time to raise the jack a couple inches.

Now put a long 2x something under it and again have your partner depress RETRACT while you lift the board forcing the jack up.

Once you can get the portable jack under it jacke it up as much as you can and have your partner press retract.. Keep jacking till you can not and have partner press RETRACT again and again till it's nearly full up

Drive to repair shop.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

So what is the out come of this situation? There sure are a lot of answers on here.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milom View Post
Wow, Been Boating and RV'ing for over 40 years and I have never experienced anything like this before, As they say first time for everything. Thanks for the reminder, I just purchased Good Sam roadside assistance before the trip, I called them and they are sending a tow truck and think they will able to un pin me! Funny, I never thought to call them first. Ill let you know if it was worth the $59.00 bucks!!
As for how it might have happened, We spent a night at the Bakersfield RV resort, Beautiful spot, Nicer than Vegas. We Gassed up at the ARCO there and there was quite a dip when exiting their driveway and we bottomed out. Must have happened then!
If you have the jacks in the store mode and can get access to a 2x4 or something like that, once the tow truck lifts the rig, you can get under the jack and pry it up. Once it is high enough a floor jack can be used to finish the job. I just hope it doesn't get bent during the lifting.

Don't you just hate those exit dips? And, as it would seem, you can't crab exit because you'll be heading into traffic. I hope a local RV store has spare parts on hand for you. Keep us posted.

Rick Y
Old 04-02-2015, 12:28 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

thanks for all the tips and concerns, the good sam roadside wrecker showed up within two hrs, thankfully we were in a nice rv park all connected. They shoved a 4' pry bar into the asphalt under the ram and levered it up with a 4x4 piece of wood. once it was up about 4" they put a 5 ton floor jack under the ram and jacked it up the rest of the way. And yes I kept pushing the retract button to release the hydraulic pressure, So We are now heading back to the great white north to Blaine, wa. The I-5 was in such poor shape heading down, we are taking the 515/ I93 route up eastern Nevada through Boise then I 80 to Seattle, GPS Says it is a 150 miles shorter and 3 hrs faster route. Who'd have thought that?
Old 04-02-2015, 12:42 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Blaine huh? We're at the opposite end of the state, but we've been there a few times too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote