Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2015, 12:43 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milom View Post
thanks for all the tips and concerns, the good sam roadside wrecker showed up within two hrs, thankfully we were in a nice rv park all connected. They shoved a 4' pry bar into the asphalt under the ram and levered it up with a 4x4 piece of wood. once it was up about 4" they put a 5 ton floor jack under the ram and jacked it up the rest of the way. And yes I kept pushing the retract button to release the hydraulic pressure, So We are now heading back to the great white north to Blaine, wa. The I-5 was in such poor shape heading down, we are taking the 515/ I93 route up eastern Nevada through Boise then I 80 to Seattle, GPS Says it is a 150 miles shorter and 3 hrs faster route. Who'd have thought that?

With no springs to hold the ram up, it could work its way down and drag !!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:48 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
With no springs to hold the ram up, it could work its way down and drag !!!
X2 ...... I hope Milom get this piece of advice before it's too late. I would use 2 rubber bungy cords to keep it up. That might work but you'd have to keep checking it with any sign of a "jacks down light".

Seems like the force to rip off the bottom plate might tweak the jack enough that it will not retract with normal spring tension.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 04-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
thanks for all the tips and concerns, the good sam roadside wrecker showed up within two hrs, thankfully we were in a nice rv park all connected. They shoved a 4' pry bar into the asphalt under the ram and levered it up with a 4x4 piece of wood. once it was up about 4" they put a 5 ton floor jack under the ram and jacked it up the rest of the way. And yes I kept pushing the retract button to release the hydraulic pressure, So We are now heading back to the great white north to Blaine, wa. The I-5 was in such poor shape heading down, we are taking the 515/ I93 route up eastern Nevada through Boise then I 80 to Seattle, GPS Says it is a 150 miles shorter and 3 hrs faster route. Who'd have thought that?
The folks above this post have a good observation. That jack needs to be pinned. Personally, I think you simply need to get the parts replaced before you hit the road back to WA. That jack will become a rudder at some point not far into your trip.

Glad you get unpinned from the campground. Hope the rest of your trip is not as adventurous.

Rick Y
Old 04-02-2015, 08:07 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

You can order the parts directly from HWH and get them delivered within a few days.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:32 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Unless there's a leaking valve in the hydraulic system the jack cylinder won't come down by itself. The springs normally retract the jack and push the hydraulic fluid back into the reservoir, but once the valve is closed the jack can neither extend nor retract from that point (unless there's a leak).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Help - I do not quite understand how the HWH spring jacks work in retraction as our are powered both ways.

Do you have to hold the retract button to release the valve until the jacks are fully retracted?
or
Do you push the retract button once and it releases the valves so the jacks will retract under spring power.

Our neighbour had his jacks repaired at HWH last fall. His jacks were not retracting properly. He came away with the jacks repaired at what he said was an very reasonable price.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Rather than undoing the hydraulic line at the jack (and losing a bunch of fluid) you should open the corresponding T-handle at the pump to allow the fluid to flow back into the reservoir.
Milom
Or simply set the control panel to "retract" while you pry the extended jack up.
BTW, as you have learned the most valuable tools in your tool box are a cell phone and a emergency road service membership card.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

FWIW the pressure on the seals on any cylinders more than an inch or so will usually exert enough pressure to keep from "easily" pushing the ram in.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Get a pry bar similar to the ones on this page and drive it into the asphalt under the ram to pry it up. Lowes, Homedepot, or any Auto Parts will have them.

Hand Tools at Harbor Freight Tools

I agree. It's what i would do. DO NOT clamp anything onto the ram.
1992 County Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Unless there's a leaking valve in the hydraulic system the jack cylinder won't come down by itself. The springs normally retract the jack and push the hydraulic fluid back into the reservoir, but once the valve is closed the jack can neither extend nor retract from that point (unless there's a leak).
On occasion one of the jacks may drop enough to bring in the jacks down alarm. Just happened to me yesterday. You need to have the ability to store the jacks when the button is pushed. With the springs gone that wont be possible. Under normal circumstances you are correct but a rough road often changes normal.

Rick Y
Old 04-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Glad your back on the road, I would have never thought of the road side assistance. Looks like it paid off for you guys. Good luck on the rest of your trip
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

If you want fast service on replacement parts for HWH systems, go to rvleveling.com. It is Stuarts Services. a quick turnaround on orders. Just a thought.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Hi all
Just arrived in Las Vegas Rv park got all set up, Jacks down slides out etc...
Did a walk around, and noticed that all 4 hwh jacks are down and the coach is level, but rr jack has lost its springs and pad.I Tried to retract them and only the 3 with springs attached retracted. The one culprit with no springs attached will not retract even after several tries! What to do? The biggest problem I have, is its 93 in vegas and the asphalt is soft, so the actuator has counter sunk itself about an 1" deep into the ashphalt, and I cant get a pry bar underneath it to try and pound it up with hammer? I called all the rv dealers and repair facilities in and near Vegas and no one stocks the pad and spring, they all offer to order for me from hth but it takes about 3 weeks. we want to head back to Wa Thurs Am
Any ideas welcome
Obviously I cant move the rig with the one jack still down!
Hi Milom, Just wondering if you made it home safe. Also wanted to know which roadside
assist service you have, is it the one Good Sam offers?
Really hope you got home ok.
Marguerite66
Old 04-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Yes we made it back home in record time! thanks for the concern. Way less traffic and roads were in much better shape than I-5. We made it home in 18 hrs., the trip down took over 24 hrs. The only downside is far fewer services along the way and cell reception is way sparser than along I-5! So If you had a problem on the I-93 it would be difficult to get through to Roadside assist! And yes we got the Good Sam roadside assist through Camping world. From now on I wont leave home without it!!
Milo
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote