Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2007, 05:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Need help with a small problem. Driving down the road on the way north and started to hear an occasional bumping sound. At the next stop I started checking and found the right front turn signal housing hanging by its wiring. Seems the hole for the one screw had stripped out. I need to know the best way to fix this problem. I have never tried to repair a stripped out screw hole in fiberglass. I would not like to go the fiberglass routine if I can avoid it. Upon checking I found that one of the screws in a backup light will not tighten. Same problem.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Need help with a small problem. Driving down the road on the way north and started to hear an occasional bumping sound. At the next stop I started checking and found the right front turn signal housing hanging by its wiring. Seems the hole for the one screw had stripped out. I need to know the best way to fix this problem. I have never tried to repair a stripped out screw hole in fiberglass. I would not like to go the fiberglass routine if I can avoid it. Upon checking I found that one of the screws in a backup light will not tighten. Same problem.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:53 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have used the plastic screw anchors on occasion... Just use the right size and push the anchor in the hole. If you need to, you can drill the hole out a little before pushing in the anchor depending on the size of hole vs. screw. You can also use a little glue but they hold just fine without it...Then you can use the same screw that was in there so it doesn't look out of place. I had to do that after the gorillas screwed the third brake light in and stripped out the glass on the rear cap. The other was the heater cover on the rear... Watch out for those gorillas at the RV Service centers! They have all held for 3 years now and are still tight... removed screws and re-installed without issues!
You could also try the metal clips that some use for over the edge of a cutout. It has a plain hole on the front side and on the back side it has a taper that a screw theads in to.
Haven't used the later, I only know the anchor works...
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You could try putting some fiberglass resin in the hole and then redrilling it.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
You could try putting some fiberglass resin in the hole and then redrilling it.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That is also my recommendation with a little modification - get some 5-minute epoxy and dab a little into the hole and then put the screw back in before the epoxy kicks off.

However if you need to remove the screw for bulb/lens changing, then go with epoxy in the hole, let it harden, then drill per Jim's recommendation.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #6

Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I hope that's what DW had in mind when she talked about me and a loose screw.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I'd go with the 5 minute epoxy & put grease on the screw. They have a gel 5 minute epoxy that should work well.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

"You could also try the metal clips that some use for over the edge of a cutout. It has a plain hole on the front side and on the back side it has a taper that a screw theads in to."

I believe the fasteners you're referring to are called Speed Nuts. They're commonly used in the automotive industry when fastening something (such as a directional light) to sheet metal. I've used a number of them on our coach in cases where the original screws have stripped out. They're available at any hardware or auto parts store. They come in a variety of sizes from a #6 sheet metal screw to a 1/2" bolt.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

http://www.tinnerman.com/ as used on aircraft. Any airplane owner will have at least a few.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I have not used this on fiberglas bodies but it has worked for me in many other screw-loose applications.

I fill the original hole almost full of glue from a hotglue gun and a piece of wooden toothpick or two, depending on hole size. Then let it set up, then send in the original screw.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Willy1 is offline   Reply With Quote