Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Looks like it might be back...

The infamous Winnebago leaking front windshield / rusted windshield frames might be back, the same problem that I had repaired a couple of years ago for almost $4,000.

I haven't pulled off the reveal molding yet but looks like I have leaks again. This time I thought it might be the front-cap marker lights but figured I would start by laying down 4" electrical-type tape over the top section of the reveal molding at the top of the windshield. We've had some rain since then and no additional moisture (wet towels) showed up, though I need more rain to further test.

I was hoping that the leak might be from a different source, like the marker lights, which is a far cheaper repair.

Will post more upon investigating further when we have some sustained, heavy rain. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have had the same issue; rust repair several years ago and now in my mid-winter check found a small amount of water on the dash (we are in winter shut-down mode.) Like you I'm hoping its just the marker lights.

Something I've been considering for Spring is installing a gutter immediately above the black trim that goes across the windshield top. Found this product online, seems to have good reviews...

Essential Products RV & Marine - EZE RV Gutters

My thought is that the black version (installed on the paint and butted right up to the trim) should blend in with the trim and provide some protection. You might want to consider it as an option to the electrical tape. I can't do it until it warms up here so can't tell you yet if it will help or not.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:34 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thank you for this link Though we don't have the leaking windshield the gutters on our MH are too short and end by the driver/passenger windows and the water just pours down onto the window, it a leak waiting to happen. We have looked at gutter extensions, none to be found that fit. I have looked around for gutters to add and didn't find any, was starting to think some j-channel(for vinyl siding). Prefer this solution. Thanks.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

We had a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer with the same problem, I found that it was a combination of the windshield seal and the marker lights , I resealed the windshield and the popped the marker lights and found that the light seals were deteriorated and the holes for the wiring were not sealed, I replaced the seals and sealed the wiring holes and it seemed to do the trick. and that Eze-Gutter works very well I used it on our 5th wheel ,a bit pricey though
Defiant530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I found small gutter extensions that work on my 2004 Sightseer at a Fleetwood dealer. There is a "stud" on the side that fits right into the round hole of the channel. Stick it in the channel and seal it in place.

These were short (about 1 1/2 inch), but they work with the rig level and even survived a winter with the cover on. You can clip a wooden clothspin to the spout to move the water further outboard.

Buy extras and replace as necessary.

sightseer 30B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

RE. the 3M rubberized electrical tape. I applied this tape 6 years ago to the black windshield trim, across the entire length of the windshield and haven't had a drop since.
It truly blends in with the existing trim and has lasted a very long time.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Looks like it might be back

Lt46. Did you apply the 3M tape so that it covers the top edge of the black molding or the bottom or both?
Thks RKL
RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL View Post
Lt46. Did you apply the 3M tape so that it covers the top edge of the black molding or the bottom or both?
Thks RKL
I only applied the 3M tape across the top of the windshield, in part because I was in a hurry for my trip and in part because of where the damp towels were sitting on the dash. The top of the dash sits above the bottom of the windshield glass and molding, and since both sides of the dash had damp towels, I discounted it being the center section.

We've been having rain here the last few days and I checked for leaks yesterday: all dry, though I'm hoping for more rain, and at a higher downpour before I can conclusively say that it is the windshield again and not my marker lights. If it is the windshield molding again, I'm going to re-seal under the revel molding with NAPA PERMATEX 80855 CLEAR RTV SILICONE ADHESIVE SEALANT and do a nicer job of laying down the 3M tape, which I bought on eBay, JVCC EL7566-AW Premium Grade Electrical Tape, 66 Length x 3" Width, Black. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Just got my 2002 Suncruiser back from the shop on Friday, had both sides of the windshield replaced due to cracks. One side had a small crack, other side was getting real bad with several large cracks (been going on for about a year) so finally had them replaced. The good news was that that windshield metal frames were in good shape, minor rust, so they cleaned up fairly easily, primer painted, good to go. The shop did tell me that they see rust problems fairly often and some do need extra work, welding, etc. I have owned this rig for about 4 years, so I do not know if this windshield has been replaced before or not. Hopefully I won't have to do this again for a long time, but I may take your suggestions about sealing around the top of the windshield.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL View Post
Thks RKL
I applied the 3M tape only across the top. As I said, 6 years ago and have been bone dry. I cleaned both the rubber trim and contact area of the fiberglass with a cotton towel dampened with acetone before applying the tape. To ensure cleanliness for best adhesion. For looks, I tapered the end cuts on the tape to disappear around the contour of the windshield glass. It's nearly invisible unless you're focused on it.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote