Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Looking for roof mount awning sensor

2005 Itasca Suncruiser. need a new or used roof mounted wind sensor for weather pro awning. Any ideas where one could be found. Dometic says must purchase entire arm mounted and control box. Any ideas?
Ken Bodenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bodenhoe View Post
2005 Itasca Suncruiser. need a new or used roof mounted wind sensor for weather pro awning. Any ideas where one could be found. Dometic says must purchase entire arm mounted and control box. Any ideas?
Ken,
First off, you put a TOPIC of "Bodie". I, and most likely, many others on here kind-of assumed that, you might be wondering about the ghost town of "Bodie" CA. But, it appears that's not the case. Your topic should have read "Need wind sensor for Weather Pro Awning". You'd probably get more responses from folks that have dealt with awnings and awning problems and, where to purchase parts.

Now, as for the wind sensor, some are still roof mounted and, look like a small, sort of flat, mushroom about 3" or 4" high. But, the newer models use a wind sensor that's built into the awning arm, right at the black plastic cover. It's the "vibration type". When the wind starts shaking awning and the fabric starts flapping some, that sensor picks up on that and, tells the awning to self-retract. And, as you may or may not know, there's settings for light, medium and strong winds.

As for where to pick up a new sensor of that type, or, even if anyone sells just the sensor, not a clue. Good luck
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

LOL Iwas looking for another reason to visit Bodie CA again.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Personally I shut mine off years ago. The roof mounted sensors are plagued with problems.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The older style, which I believe yours is, can not be replaced without replacing the control box as well. They are a matched set. The newer ones can be programmed separately.

Check the connector plug on the roof. Winnebago made their own harness and the connector has been an issue for some, including myself.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Dometic Weather Pro awning

I have a ’07 Winnebago Adventurer 38T with a Dometic Weather Pro awning with a rain sensor on the roof. My problem is, if I operate the awning with the high wind sensor on, the awning retracts after a few seconds of extending it. It will not extend again unless I turn the high wind sensor off. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks in advance for your help.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Yep, and that's why mine is disconnected

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-25-2015, 05:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Right on 2 counts, ya got to replace the box along with the sensor and I had a problem with the thing since it was new. The thing thought it was always windy so I disconnected the it and never leave it unattended. If you must have the thing I've seen them on Ebay. Oh ya and there not cheep. Good luck!
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

More...
Those sensors of that era have an inherent design flaw. The sensor is designed to work within a specific temperature range. I've forgotten the spec but it's completely wrong.

So what happens on a nice warm day with no wind, that sensor temp shoots completely out of its design range and actually goes negative, thinking it's really cold, apparently around freezing. So to protect the awning from ice buildup, it retracts.

There have been plenty of reports of this, including me, as well as fixes that never really worked, like putting HVAC foil tape on the top all polished up to reflect heat. It kinda worked, but was not the fix. All I now trust is my eyes and when it's time to retract. If you think you're going to depend on that faulty sensor to protect the awning in wind you might as well start saving for replacement fabric now. It's a matter of time. It seems to retract in anything but wind.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Jeff, like many I too have had issue opening / closing, wind related, temp related. i live in NH and early in the season, it refuses to extend.. why ? because its cold. I guess that preventing ice freezing in it?
So.. How did you disable it? I too trust my eyes and forecast more than than that dixie cup on the roof!!
thanks
-mike
CigarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarBoy View Post
Jeff, like many I too have had issue opening / closing, wind related, temp related. i live in NH and early in the season, it refuses to extend.. why ? because its cold. I guess that preventing ice freezing in it?
So.. How did you disable it? I too trust my eyes and forecast more than than that dixie cup on the roof!!
thanks
-mike
There's an ENABLE/DISABLE switch on the awning control box. Looking at the wiring diagrams for your coach it looks like that box is in the right front compartment. (On my 36RD it's in the compartment immediately in front of the right rear wheels.)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

What he said..

Jeff - WA6EQU