Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Looking for help with remodeling

Recently bought a 1984 Winnie Chieftan with VERY low miles and we would like to spruce her up a bit. Do you suggest painting or wallpaper on walls?
Carpet should also be replaced..do you think peel and stick tiles aree a good idea?
Finally there is a small water mark on the ceiling where the AC had a small leak, how should we repair this.
We are new to all this..so please be kind in answering

Thanks
djc1175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #2

Look thru the Vintage Forum.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Paint, but us "Bulls Eye 1-2-3" primer first. You can tint the primer slightly if you want.
Peel-n-stick tiles are not the greatest... If you use them, the surface must be perfect and sanded or they have a tendency to slide a little, leaving gaps. Sheet vinyl is not that hard... make a pattern with poster board taped together and it will come out great. Lots of people are doing laminate flooring with good success.
To remove the ceiling stain... use Resolve carpet cleaner or/and Oxyclean.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Long ago we had a 1972 Open Road motorhome with red shag carpeting. Yep shag. Anyway we replaced it with peel and stick indoor/outdoor carpet and it worked like a charm.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Not to cause you any anxiety, but I felt I should caution you regarding an older RV with LOW miles. We purchased a 1976 Winne a few years back and it turned out, due to my inexperience, the RV from #%$*!!

My recommendations are to have the entire RV inspected, I didn't do this and it cost us a bundle before we got rid of it, front to rear for..............

*Seal and gasket leaks----front trans. seal failed on mine, cost $600.00
*Bad tires---- to change the tires on mine, I had to buy new wheels too because the stock wheels were split rims.
*Condition of engine belts----fan belt broke, engine overheated, replaced heads, $2000.00.
*Change ALL the fluids---- Completed
*Have brakes checked---- Replaced entire brake system except tubing, $700.00.
*Have cooling system checked----Replaced radiator, no flow at speed, $230.00.
*Inspect air conditioning, dash & roof----- Dash A/C failed, $780.00.
*Check fuel system---- Replaced all rubber hoses, were cracked, replaced fuel filter, $245.00.
*Generator repairs, I forgot to mention, AFTER driving thru Phoenix, 107 degrees, it failed to work, $387.00.
*And everything else.

I think you get the idea.

Once all was said and done a year later, we had spent over $12,000.00 on that 1976 Mini Winne 26' Class C RV we paid $2700.00 for and probably wasn't woth a $1000.00. Also to note, before all the above happened we spent hours sanding and preping the RV for new paint and graphic's too, cost, $1600.00!!
Once we finally got back from our trip from #&%$, my wife wouldn't even go in it again until we traded it in for another RV.

Once you have determined the RV is safe, road worthy and relieable, THEN consider spending money on the cosmetics.

Maybe you have already done this, but I would hate to have a fellow RV'er go through what we did, without bring it to their attention. Just a suggestion.

Good luck and many safe miles.

David
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Old Winnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daysu47 View Post
Not to cause you any anxiety, but I felt I should caution you regarding an older RV with LOW miles. We purchased a 1976 Winne a few years back and it turned out, due to my inexperience, the RV from #%$*!!

My recommendations are to have the entire RV inspected, I didn't do this and it cost us a bundle before we got rid of it, front to rear for..............

*Seal and gasket leaks----front trans. seal failed on mine, cost $600.00
*Bad tires---- to change the tires on mine, I had to buy new wheels too because the stock wheels were split rims.
*Condition of engine belts----fan belt broke, engine overheated, replaced heads, $2000.00.
*Change ALL the fluids---- Completed
*Have brakes checked---- Replaced entire brake system except tubing, $700.00.
*Have cooling system checked----Replaced radiator, no flow at speed, $230.00.
*Inspect air conditioning, dash & roof----- Dash A/C failed, $780.00.
*Check fuel system---- Replaced all rubber hoses, were cracked, replaced fuel filter, $245.00.
*Generator repairs, I forgot to mention, AFTER driving thru Phoenix, 107 degrees, it failed to work, $387.00.
*And everything else.

I think you get the idea.

Once all was said and done a year later, we had spent over $12,000.00 on that 1976 Mini Winne 26' Class C RV we paid $2700.00 for and probably wasn't woth a $1000.00. Also to note, before all the above happened we spent hours sanding and preping the RV for new paint and graphic's too, cost, $1600.00!!
Once we finally got back from our trip from #&%$, my wife wouldn't even go in it again until we traded it in for another RV.

Once you have determined the RV is safe, road worthy and relieable, THEN consider spending money on the cosmetics.

Maybe you have already done this, but I would hate to have a fellow RV'er go through what we did, without bring it to their attention. Just a suggestion.

Good luck and many safe miles.

David

Thank you David, we will certainly follow your advise and check the unit from top to bottom and inside out..BEFORE investing ANY big money in it.

Donna
Old 04-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
Long ago we had a 1972 Open Road motorhome with red shag carpeting. Yep shag. Anyway we replaced it with peel and stick indoor/outdoor carpet and it worked like a charm.
Thank you Savannah!

Donna
Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
Paint, but us "Bulls Eye 1-2-3" primer first. You can tint the primer slightly if you want.
Peel-n-stick tiles are not the greatest... If you use them, the surface must be perfect and sanded or they have a tendency to slide a little, leaving gaps. Sheet vinyl is not that hard... make a pattern with poster board taped together and it will come out great. Lots of people are doing laminate flooring with good success.
To remove the ceiling stain... use Resolve carpet cleaner or/and Oxyclean.

Thank You Rick, we will after inspecting the ENTIRE unit look into the paint you suggest

Donna