Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
Nomad Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Nomadic - Currently Near Lassen NF
Posts: 217
Locked Out, Cold - How can this happen?

I was not aware that my 2005 Journey could lock its own door. Luckily I am not too far from my former home where my friend keeps extra keys. She is on the way to save me - an hour drive each way.

I stepped out to turn the water on and closed the door to keep it warm inside. When I returned to the door it was locked. I'm in a T-Shirt, slippers, freezing, and lucky that I'm at a major campsite with internet that I can buy and my phone will use wifi calling. I've taken refuge in the lodge.

I'm hoping that somehow the lock activated versus it's broken. It could be a long cold night if it is broke.

Anyone else have this issue with self locking door?
__________________
Luna was born in 2005 and is a Winnebago Journey 34H w/ CAT C7 350
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise
 
UFO Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 429
I never go out of my Winne without a set of door keys on me. I have lost count of how many times the lock has operated on its own.

I was locked INSIDE my Winne on one occasion. How many people can say that?
__________________
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Master
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I was locked INSIDE my Winne on one occasion. How many people can say that?
We can , but it was a Dutch Star! Luckily the 2000 DSDP had a drivers door.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Lifetime GS Member, SKP, FMCA,
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner
 
Nomad Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Nomadic - Currently Near Lassen NF
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I never go out of my Winne without a set of door keys on me. I have lost count of how many times the lock has operated on its own.

I was locked INSIDE my Winne on one occasion. How many people can say that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We can , but it was a Dutch Star! Luckily the 2000 DSDP had a drivers door.
That would give you the chance to practice your emergency egress. "Yep, the red levers worked".

I have a spare set just outside of the RV, in my locked car. A smashed window would get them, or a call to AAA or Good Sam. LUCKILY I'm not boondocking in the middle of nowhere or I would have smashed a car window. It's cold out there!
__________________
Luna was born in 2005 and is a Winnebago Journey 34H w/ CAT C7 350
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper
 
dons2346's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 15
That's the reason you always leave one window unlocked
__________________
Don
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1
I had this happen on another rig and said never again. Now on my new rig I installed a coded key box, purchased at HD in a special spot to put my extra set of keys in. Works for me.
__________________
2016 Palazzo 33.2, Fiat 500 toad with Patriot Braking System.
doublebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise
 
UFO Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 429
Locked Out
I also have a set of door keys in a "lock box" attached to the frame if needed. It is well hidden and solidly attached.

Locked In
If I had used the escape hatch I would have landed right on top of the utilities. I keep a set of screwdrivers inside the coach so I was able to take the lock apart.
__________________
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner
 
Nomad Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Nomadic - Currently Near Lassen NF
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
That's the reason you always leave one window unlocked
Now you tell me
__________________
Luna was born in 2005 and is a Winnebago Journey 34H w/ CAT C7 350
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner
 
Nomad Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Nomadic - Currently Near Lassen NF
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebs View Post
I had this happen on another rig and said never again. Now on my new rig I installed a coded key box, purchased at HD in a special spot to put my extra set of keys in. Works for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Locked Out
I also have a set of door keys in a "lock box" attached to the frame if needed. It is well hidden and solidly attached.

Locked In
If I had used the escape hatch I would have landed right on top of the utilities. I keep a set of screwdrivers inside the coach so I was able to take the lock apart.
Lock box is now on the immediate To-Do list.
__________________
Luna was born in 2005 and is a Winnebago Journey 34H w/ CAT C7 350
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:07 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise
 
UFO Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 429
This is the kind I bought.

KIDDE 1015 Lock Box, Surface Mount, 5 Keys - Walmart.com
__________________
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 110
I have a spare key duck taped to the frame. It is inside a plastic bag.

Those magnetic key boxes do two things. Rust and fall off.

All my vehicles, and my kids vehicles, have spare keys hidden on the outside.
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Master
 
FIRE UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
I was not aware that my 2005 Journey could lock its own door. Luckily I am not too far from my former home where my friend keeps extra keys. She is on the way to save me - an hour drive each way.

I stepped out to turn the water on and closed the door to keep it warm inside. When I returned to the door it was locked. I'm in a T-Shirt, slippers, freezing, and lucky that I'm at a major campsite with internet that I can buy and my phone will use wifi calling. I've taken refuge in the lodge.

I'm hoping that somehow the lock activated versus it's broken. It could be a long cold night if it is broke.

Anyone else have this issue with self locking door?
Mike,
Just wondering, is your Journey equipped with the Security Lock system that utilizes a "Key fob" to lock both the entry door and, the compartment doors?
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner
 
Nomad Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Nomadic - Currently Near Lassen NF
Posts: 217
Thanks everyone, I've been rescued.
__________________
Luna was born in 2005 and is a Winnebago Journey 34H w/ CAT C7 350
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:13 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner
 
Nomad Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Nomadic - Currently Near Lassen NF
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Mike,
Just wondering, is your Journey equipped with the Security Lock system that utilizes a "Key fob" to lock both the entry door and, the compartment doors?
Scott
Yes it does, but it works intermittently. I've been meaning to try it out again since I untucked the antenna from the dash frame.
__________________
Luna was born in 2005 and is a Winnebago Journey 34H w/ CAT C7 350
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #15
Winnebago Master
 
SCVJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Clarita, CA.
Posts: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I have a spare key duck taped to the frame. It is inside a plastic bag.

Those magnetic key boxes do two things. Rust and fall off.

All my vehicles, and my kids vehicles, have spare keys hidden on the outside.

Which is why nobody uses them. The ONLY proper way to do this is with a real estate lockbox anchored to the frame. Short of a cutoff saw it is NOT going anywhere.
__________________
_______________________________

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:21 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper
 
CPO_Retired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 28
I also thought that an RV cannot lock itself----wrong!

We arrived tired and sore after a long days drive at our campground for the night. We were both stiff and decided to go into the office to check in together. I slammed the door shut, when we returned there was a line of RV's behind us to check-in. I was shocked and confused when the front door was locked and the keys were in the ignition (yes the engine was running).

I was really in a panic not only were we blocking traffic in this campground but I had no idea how to get into my RV without breaking something. As luck would have it I did find a window unlocked (rare as I always go around locking all of the windows) and I was able to crawl inside and unlock the door.

We now carry a spare set of keys in the TOAD and the TOAD key in my pocket.
__________________
Doug & Lanita Full Time Since July 2012
2010 Itasca Ellipse 40CD TOAD 2012 Jeep Liberty.
Retired US Navy Chief Petty Officer
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:28 AM   #17
Winnebago Master
 
SCVJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Clarita, CA.
Posts: 1,217
More:
Those with keyfob remotes, take them out from time to time and make sure the keys work properly and the pressure to activate is correct.

We were at the beach a few years ago and I happened outside to watch all the sidelights turning on and off. I couldn't hear the relays inside because the surf was too loud, so these lights are all I had. In the end my wife's keyfob unlock key had failed and unlocked the storage bays... For hours..... This burned out all of the storage bay door solenoids, so they had to be replaced as well as the entire wireless system since the OEM was discontinued. About $450 to fix
__________________
_______________________________

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 274
I keep a set of MH keys in my toad glove box and a hide a key on the toad just for that reason. DW likes to keep the driver's window unlocked as we have seen many friends locked out due to broken locks.

Might not have been as cheap but would a locksmith been quicker? Mine is covered by my ERS but never had to use it.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #19
Winnebago Master
 
Duner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Camarillo, CA
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
More:
Those with keyfob remotes, take them out from time to time and make sure the keys work properly and the pressure to activate is correct.

We were at the beach a few years ago and I happened outside to watch all the sidelights turning on and off. I couldn't hear the relays inside because the surf was too loud, so these lights are all I had. In the end my wife's keyfob unlock key had failed and unlocked the storage bays... For hours..... This burned out all of the storage bay door solenoids, so they had to be replaced as well as the entire wireless system since the OEM was discontinued. About $450 to fix
Hey Jeff, if you didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck at all. That's about the worst case secenaro I've heard of in quite a while.

Regarding keys, I always use a hide-a-key in every vehicle. I'm way too forgetful to be calling for help everytime.

Happy Trails,
Bill
__________________
Bill & Helen, Last of the Chieftains, 2004 39T, W22, UltraPower, Banks Headers, Koni's, Safe-T-Plus, SMI Stay-n-Play, 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid towed 4-down
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-picture97.jpg
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:15 AM   #20
Winnebago Master
 
SCVJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Santa Clarita, CA.
Posts: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Hey Jeff, if you didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck at all. That's about the worst case secenaro I've heard of in quite a while.

Regarding keys, I always use a hide-a-key in every vehicle. I'm way too forgetful to be calling for help everytime.

Happy Trails,
Bill
Hey Bill ! Long time...

Yeah, Couldn't be one or two.... But ALL of them. Geeeze
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is going to happen to Itasca Dealers bobder41 Winnebago General Discussions 32 12-20-2015 11:46 AM
How to deal with the locked out coach issue pine tree Winnebago General Discussions 22 04-25-2011 08:15 PM
Bound to happen jcar6109 General Maintenance and Repair 24 06-05-2009 10:52 AM
Almost Got Locked Out! journey15 General Maintenance and Repair 12 06-27-2007 03:18 PM
Got Locked out of my coach!!! Lucchese1 Winnebago General Discussions 14 02-19-2006 07:00 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×