Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2008, 04:55 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Just a caution: twice now I have been locked out of the Sightseer because that red handled locking lever fell into the lock position as I closed the door. Actually it happened more than that but twice there was no one inside. Luckily a window was open and I had a ladder (not a pretty sight getting my lard behind in a window)

I saw the thread from last year on getting extra keys and will. In the mean time I've zip tied that sucker in the open position.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Just a caution: twice now I have been locked out of the Sightseer because that red handled locking lever fell into the lock position as I closed the door. Actually it happened more than that but twice there was no one inside. Luckily a window was open and I had a ladder (not a pretty sight getting my lard behind in a window)

I saw the thread from last year on getting extra keys and will. In the mean time I've zip tied that sucker in the open position.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Belgique,
I have a burning, searing question:
How to pronounce "Belgique"?
Is it bell-jeek or bell-gee-cue or what?
I too have locked myself out of my sightseer. Fortunately my wife was still inside.We now make sure that at least one of us has our keys before closing the door. Thankfully we didn't have to do what you did. If we did, the wife would have been the one going through the window. The view would be much better (for me)!! Hmmm, gives me ideas.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

All motorhomes have places that accessible ... the back of the refrigerator, the LP tank compartment, and (generally) a "hood"

I suggest you make duplicate keys and hide them in a compartment that you can always get into ... a little ingenuity beforehand will avoid desperate actions to get back in if you are locked out ...

Another ploy is to
1) leave a screwdriver "behind" the refrigerator,
2) hide a key to your compartments behind your license plate and
3) keep a duplicate set of keys in one of your locked compartments ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
I helped | retired moderator

You might feel more secure with your spare keys in one of THESE, or spare keys could be kept in the toad.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:00 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChasA:
Belgique,
I have a burning, searing question:
How to pronounce "Belgique"?
Is it bell-jeek or bell-gee-cue or what?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lets go with bell-jeek DW wife is the Belgian...I'm just a humble cracker that married over my station while working at NATO HQ in Brussels.

I too usually always have a key outside but that lock is psychic and picks up on the rare moment that I'm just stepping out in my drawers to get something out of the basement etc. Thus it is now zip tied up and will stay that way until I get a spare key hidden.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:
Just a caution: twice now I have been locked out of the Sightseer because that red handled locking lever fell into the lock position as I closed the door. Actually it happened more than that but twice there was no one inside. Luckily a window was open and I had a ladder (not a pretty sight getting my lard behind in a window) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I locked us out of our Sightseer twice. The first time I was able to use another Winnebago owners key (Note Winnebago only uses 3 different key/lock combos). The 2nd time I crawled through an open window. My wife took some embarassing photos !! I now have a hidden key available.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
A spare key is great... But, be aware that the dead bolt can break and lock you IN or OUT. To add insult to injury it takes a T20 torxs driver to remove the screws that hold the backing plate on. The replacement parts are about $1 and are available from Trimark Newhampton, IA. 800-431-8616.

Knob for White Inside = 81482 - .97
Knob retaining clip = 80967 - .07

White Inside latch asm = $31.77
Black Outside latch assm = $55.08

Old 05-01-2008, 05:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Our outside door latch has failed to open in the "unlocked" position twice. One of us was inside each time. Both times having to bee adjusted by the dealer. We now do the precautionary unlocked window/ladder routine also.

Betty Boop(Our white Boxer)
HuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I've had a complete set of keys hidden in every RV we've owned. Don't tell anyone, but I hide a set behind the outside refrigerator access panel. The panel can easily be opened with a coin.

If parked in a location for an extended period of time, like FL for months, I'll inform someone parked near me where the keys are. Never can tell when water starts running out from the coach or a fire develops or some other event that can be stopped by accessing the interior or moving the coach.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

When I first got the 35U, I was backing it into my usual parking place which happened to be above a steep drop. Being new to the motor home and careful, I got out to look where I was backing to make sure of my line.

Sure enough, I must have hit the lower lock on my way out and locked the keys in with the engine running. The second set was still in the Winnebago briefcase inside the motorhome.

A very responsive locksmith saved the day and before he left, I had him make an entrance key that got hidden by the propane tank in one of those little magnetic boxes that every auto parts store sell.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I carry a spare RV key in the truck. I carry a spare truck key hidden on the RV. Wife carries both in her purse, she's never without it; who knows a shopping opportunity may arise unexpectedly!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I use the Master Lock reality lock box that was shown earlier in this post. I have drilled a hole in the steel in the propane tank area and carry my spare keys there ---- the propane door can not be locked for safety reasons and teh Master Lock reality box is a heavy duty box and I put it where no one can swing something heavy like a hammer to break it open.