Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2005, 03:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Anyone know what is the best location to install bedroom roof vent which already has AC. This is a 1999 Winnebago Chieftain 36 ft diesel.

Thanks
Len D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Anyone know what is the best location to install bedroom roof vent which already has AC. This is a 1999 Winnebago Chieftain 36 ft diesel.

Thanks
Len D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:22 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'd call the factory on that one. You need to know what's all in the roof (A/C drain lines, wiring, ducts, crossmembers, etc) before you cut. I'm sure that Winnebago customer service can get you the most accurate answer on that one.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:54 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Good advice Cruzer.

Len D, I know you've got our reasons for wanting a vent back there. But I also see your a 'new member', so I'll ask some questions:
have you considered replacing the bathroom fan with a fantastic fan? It would slip right in there.
Can your A/C run on fan only, no cool? (or perhaps you were looking for exhaust properties).
And lastly, had you considered cracking the bedroom windows open a bit, then turning on the fantastic exhaust fan in the galley? It'll really pull air thru the coach.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:42 PM   #5

Troth your right on the money. I wrote a reply to Len this morning , but our internet provider locked up, I wonder if the administrators here had anything to do with that. Just kidding.

I suggested to Len, that he call Winnebago Customer Service, not Customer Relations, and ask to talk to a tech. They can advise him about the wiring and mechanicals in the roof. Then call Fantastic Vent and talk to my good friend, Boo Berretta the gerru of installations and upgrades.

In my opinion, I think Len would money ahead, if he'd replace the vent fan in the bathroom with Fantastic Vents top of the line unit that has all the features. Fantastic Vent fans in the bathroom can handle his coach without any problem and he'll save himself a lot of extra work and possibily some trouble.
Winnebago 800-537-1885
Fantastic Vent 800-521-0298

Remember, don't put any covers over your Fantasic Vent Fans, they cut the performance by 35%. Ask Bob about that.

Tomcat F15
Old 04-21-2005, 08:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Len,
I have the 99 Adventurer Diesel. I wanted a vent over the bed for increased ventilation and extra natural light. I installed a Fantastic Vent in center just in front of cabinets and tied wires into an adjacent cieling light fixture.

IMPORTANT: I did contact customer relations to get a roof framing plan to make sure I didn't cut one of main rafters. Also I had a wiring plan to make sure I had no wires in way.

It works good, but remember to close vent or you will have a "wet bed"!

Beautiful Black Hills of SD
Dale Tomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:37 PM   #7

Dale, did I read you correctly, "you were so happy with your new fan you wet the bed?

Just kidding, if you got the unit with the rain sensor, it will automatically close the vent when it rains. If you don't have that feature, you can add it. Just call Bob Berretta at fantastic Vent and he'll explain it to you.

Tomcat F15