Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2002 Itasca Horizon. I am wondering where Winnebago puts the Freightliner "vdc' computer. It is the box that controls the dash air pressure guages and other stuff.
Don Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The "Evolution" chassis on yours is specially designed for Winnebago by Freightliner and I'm not familiar with it. When I called Freightliner about my XCS, they told me that the computer was normally put near the engine, had to accessible to the techs and would be recognizable because of a red and green 1/4 air hose running to it. Using that criteria, I found mine in the last passenger side compartment. In that same compartment was the transmission controller.

The reason that I needed to find my computer was that I was having intermittent speedometer problems. The cause turned out to be the output cable from computer being stretched too tight during installation and pulling out of its socket. I reseated the cable and gave it some more slack and it has been fine since.

I hope this helps.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have an XCS chasis.2002 Itasca Horizon 39Qd. I called Winnebago in order to find the location of the "vdc" box. Tech said he would have to research it and call me back. Two hours later and I am still waiting for the results.
Don Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

On my 2002 Freightliner XC chassis, the VDC box is located above the engine on a brace that seperates the two removable covers under the bed...It is recogonized by the colored air lines attached to it...next to it is the Allison control box and a box with relays for the chassis light system.....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Don did you ever find the VDR? I am having a air pressure issue the rear air gage goes from 0 to 150 when it is cold and stops when it warms up. The VDU is not under the bed(slide out) as freightliner said and I have looked around the engine, no luck. I have the same unit as you I have a 2002 Itasca Horizon 2 slides and it is 39.9 long. thanks
Brassmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Brassmonkey:
Don did you ever find the VDR? I am having a air pressure issue the rear air gage goes from 0 to 150 when it is cold and stops when it warms up. The VDU is not under the bed(slide out) as freightliner said and I have looked around the engine, no luck. I have the same unit as you I have a 2002 Itasca Horizon 2 slides and it is 39.9 long. thanks
According to both Freightliner and Winnebago, the VDC/VDU is usually mounted somewhere in the engine comparment. Mine was mounted on a forward bulkhead just under the forward engine cover. It was facing the rear of the coach so it was not easy to see immediately.

You can call Winnebago Service Administration, give them your coach serial #, and they will tell you exactly where the VDU was installed.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by chasfm11:
The "Evolution" chassis on yours is specially designed for Winnebago by Freightliner and I'm not familiar with it...
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the Evolution chassis first appeared with the 2004 Vectra / Horizon models. Prior to that the Horizon was the Itasca version of the Journey and it looks like they are on the Freightliner XCS chassis: XCS- Series Motorhome Chassis

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Because I have not previously encountered a VDC (Vehicle Data Computer) nor have I had any gauge issues I got curious and called FreightLiner. Our 2004 Journey 36G was produced December 2003 and does not have A VDC. FL told me that was the time period that they replaced the VDC with the MMDC (I was told that MMDC=Multi-Module Data Computer).

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The 2002 and 2003 Horizons were built on the XC chassis. The Evolution chassis was first produced for the 2004 year.
The VDC for my 2003 Horizon 36 was under the bed. It was on a crossmember under the forward engine cover. If the cover was off I could lift up the bed and it was just below the front wall of the bed platform frame. The 36 has a bed aligned with the frame. If the 39 has a bed perpendicular to the frame it may be in another place but I am betting that it is in a similar and close location within the engine compartment.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote