Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-10-2016, 10:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Location of Oil Reservoir '99 Adventurer

I have a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer Adventure 37.5 (actually 38').

I've looked at my manuals and on-line inquiries but I cannot find the location of the following oil reservoir on (under) my coach:
1. HWH jacks - what kind of oil
2. Power slide - what kind of oil

Anyone out there know where these are?

Yes, I know they are under the coach. But WHERE????? Exactly where???
Old 01-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well I'll jump in. We have an 02 Journey, a little different from yours. Our tank for the slides and jacks is under the front left slide out. This tank supplies both slides and jacks. The fluid is ATF.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Well on my Adventure this is found on left slide behind the drivers position.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

On our 2001 Adventurer the HWH reservoir was just to the right of center (passengers side) behind the grille. It's a rectangular steel tank with all the valves visible on the upper left.

The slide(s) and leveling jacks use the same reservoir and pump. You can use either HWH Jack fluid or Dexron 3 Transmission oil. The only difference between the two is that the HWH fluid is clear while the Dexron is red. HWH came up with the clear fluid primarily for use in systems that have the floor mounted joy stick for deploying the jacks. If the fluid leaked it wouldn't stain the carpeting.

The reservoir isn't shown in the 1999 owners manual, but it is in the 2001 manual on page 2-17. Here's a link to the 2001 manual.
http://winnebagoind.com/resources/ma...Adventurer.pdf

The breather cap (silver in the picture) has a wrench land to remove it under the breather portion. I can't remember the size, but I think it's around 1". There is a dipstick attached to the bottom of the breather to check the fluid level.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

When I owned the identical motorhome is was behind the right rear tires. Not a good place to have it.
Ret Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

THANKS ALL!!!!!

I appreciate this very timely feedback.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Location Found!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at the Winnebago Parts Catalog on page 10/83, it shows the receptacle at the far rear of the Passenger's side; behind the rear tires. From the picture, it appears to be attached to an "L" shaped bar off of the main frame. NOT an easy access point.

So now a second question:
As I was looking for this HWH and Slide receptacle, I notice another unidentified receptacle (hopefully see the attached picture).
Standing in front of our coach and pulling/releasing the from engine compartment cover (at the outside face of this coach) looking into the far right top corner of this compartment.
In the attached picture there is a tanish receptacle with two redish stickers (writing not legible). It appear that the fulid inside is light in color and consistence - like transmission fluid. But the transmission fill tube is on the opposite side of this opening. Could this receptacle be for a secondary tranny cooler???

Sorry! I can't figure out how to attach a picture.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

HWH says to buy and use their hyd oil, OR, Type A transmission fluid in their owners manual. The jacks and slide use fluid from the same tank. The pump and solenoids are normally mounted to the tank. When the system is running, listen for the pump and follow the sound.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
The fluid is ATF.
The fluid is in fact Dextron ATF, however HWH recommends using a colorless or clear ATF which they and others sell because if a high pressure leak occurs on a slide mechanism inside the camper, the cherry fluid will permanently stain everything it touches.

In another post somewhere, I read that synthetic transmission fluid meeting Allisons 295 spec. can be used as well.

Tags
cat, adventurer