Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: This is kind of an "off the wall" question, but this group seems to have answers anyway. How much load can I put in the basement storage compartments?

I am looking to get a new jointer. It comes in two boxes, one of which weighs 435 lbs. and is 80 inches long. I'll have to check the space, but the question is whether the structure will support that much weight. Getting it in and out would be interesting.

Hope you are all having a good new year.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Sometimes it seems like my DW takes twice that weight in yarn and wool, but that could just be me. If it is in a compartment that slides out with the full wall slide, I think I remember someone saying 350# max. If it is just under the coach I would think the frame could handle it. You may want to call Winnebago and they could give you the straight scoop and might suggest one compartment over another. Like you said, getting in and out will be interesting.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had a 2000 adventurer 35U and I believe the slideout bin storage was rated for 300 pounds, I do not know about any of the others under the coach.

retired and loving it
h moffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I see you have a Saturn Toad. Can you fold the seats dwon and load your joiner in the Saturn?
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I don't ever remember seeing any thing on the compartments weight capacity any where other than to weigh your coach and redistribute the weight evenly. Don't go over the gvw and you should be OK. It's hydrolic so it can take that weight and push it out.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Ostermiller:
Hi Ho: This is kind of an "off the wall" question, but this group seems to have answers anyway. How much load can I put in the basement storage compartments?

I am looking to get a new jointer. It comes in two boxes, one of which weighs 435 lbs. and is 80 inches long. I'll have to check the space, but the question is whether the structure will support that much weight. Getting it in and out would be interesting.

Dirk
Dirk,

I wouldn't try to shoehorn in a 435 lb carton that is almost 7 feet long in my 35U. The only bin big enough for that would be under the slideout and the hanger bolts on those have been known to snap when overloaded. The chance on damaging the bin gaskets and having a leak or breaking off a support strut or latch strike would be pretty good also. Consider other options like putting it in the toad, having it shipped etc.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:09 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally posted by NeilV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dirk Ostermiller:

Dirk
Dirk,

I wouldn't try to shoehorn in a 435 lb carton that is almost 7 feet long in my 35U. The only bin big enough for that would be under the slideout and the hanger bolts on those have been known to snap when overloaded. The chance on damaging the bin gaskets and having a leak or breaking off a support strut or latch strike would be pretty good also. Consider other options like putting it in the toad, having it shipped etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree 100%..consider the jolt load of 435# when hitting bumps..you can have great shocks..but there is still jolt load transfer..
Old 01-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Make friends with someone who has a pickup truck, or rent a pickup or a u-haul. U-haul also rents appliance dollies that would help you get the jointer from the truck to your shop. Be very careful assembling your new jointer. I had 3 helpers help me assemble mine.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Thanks everyone for your replys. I also concluded that while perhaps possible trying to trnsport such a large box in the basement compartment probably isn't prudent. However, you have reminded me that there is more than one way to skin a cat. We probably won't need the toad, so we can simply pull a utility trailer behind and load the stuff in there. Getting a trailer is easy because one of my sons has a large landscape business and they have a plethora of them. I should have thought of this in the fist place, but thanks for getting me on track.

Oh, I will be careful by assembly. The large castings are not indestructable is dropped!

Thanks again, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like you made a wise choice. Who knows you might like it so much you might go to an enclosed trailer and have a shop set up to take on the road with you.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote