Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Lippert Slide Mechanism

Here we go again. Last May, the slide failed behind the driver's seat. Camping World in Boisie, Id replaced it --under warranty--with the latest and greatest upgrade. I've probably used it less than 20 times all Summer.
Yesterday I pulled in the slide. When it fully seated, I heard a loud snapping sound from the top at the rear of the slide. Figured here we go again! Yesterday afternoon, the front end of the slide moved and the back stayed in place. The first time it failed on the bottom, this time on the top but both failed at the back end.
My disgust factor is rather high right now.We have to wait a week to even get it looked at then wait for the parts to come in. Oh, well, life goes on. At least the slide came in and I could move the coach
Old 10-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Finhawk, you may have seen my post on another thread. Our problem is with the passenger side front slide. First time made a grinding sound and back motor stopped working but front motor didn't. Finally got the slide in and CW in Statesville NC put a whole upgraded assembly in. Got it home, loaded it for a trip and went to pull it in-you guess it!, it got stuck halfway in. It's back at CW and we should get it back Wed-almost afraid to take it out again. We'll be interested I. What the cause was this time, but we're very frustrated. Haven't been able to use the coach since June!! We feel your pain!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SAWTELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The tail end of last month I dumped a piece of garbage unit after five months of ownership that had the Lippert/Schwintek system on a full was slide in addition to many other problems. It was in the shop 4 1/2 months of that time frame either being worked on or awaiting parts from the manufacturer or Schwintek. It would appear that most of the entry to mid level coaches are using that system. Got the impression from the mechanic and service adviser that worked on mine that the smaller the slide, the less the problem. I sure hope so because the new Itasca I traded for has that system.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
The tail end of last month I dumped a piece of garbage unit after five months of ownership that had the Lippert/Schwintek system on a full was slide in addition to many other problems. It was in the shop 4 1/2 months of that time frame either being worked on or awaiting parts from the manufacturer or Schwintek. It would appear that most of the entry to mid level coaches are using that system. Got the impression from the mechanic and service adviser that worked on mine that the smaller the slide, the less the problem. I sure hope so because the new Itasca I traded for has that system.
I didn't think that the Itasca Meridian was a entry level coach. I told the customer service rep at Winnibago this morning that maybe they should design and use their own system.
The full wall side is great, no problems at all but I'm beginning to think that the drivers side slide is too heavy. The bedroom has the Lippert and works like a dream but then it's only about a 3rd of the size of the other
Old 10-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
I didn't think that the Itasca Meridian was a entry level coach......
Mine, entry level, yes! but I wouldn't consider the Meridian any place close to an entry level, pulled up the site to look at them. Maybe they are now using that system across the board. Just going by what was insinuated by those at the dealership.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Finhawk,
Bummer, I had both the full wall and driver side fixed at Forest City. My rear lower broke and would not work on the driver side. They replaced the whole unit with the new spring rollers and steel guides (no longer using the plastic). They had to replace the steel rollers on the full slide. Both are working fine so I think they have a handle on it. I still have a "popping" sound on the right rear leveler. I understand I need to add some anti-stiction fluid. Keep us posted on what you find out.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
Mine, entry level, yes! but I wouldn't consider the Meridian any place close to an entry level, pulled up the site to look at them. Maybe they are now using that system across the board. Just going by what was insinuated by those at the dealership.
You may not have had an Entry Level coach but now you do. Yes both slides have the Schwintek system. So far so good for me, my only concern is that they don't go flush with the side, at least the front of the Drivers side does not. There is a Service Tip in the latest edition of The WIT that states you need to lube the drive motor coupler and gibs. This should quite down the popping noise that some are hearing.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
You may not have had an Entry Level coach but now you do. Yes both slides have the Schwintek system. So far so good for me, my only concern is that they don't go flush with the side, at least the front of the Drivers side does not....
Reading your RV ID, I'd say that you would know. Can't really tell from the small avatar, that looks like the Cobalt Blue. I think the one I had was one step above entry level. This is our second entry level, the first being a 2011 Vista 26P, that we have purchased from Winnebago Industries. Other than the drive train and chassis, both being the F-53, the quality of the factory workmanship on the Winnebago units is head and shoulders above what I had.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

The first time our passenger side slide stuck coming in CW had to send a tech to our house to get it in. He has been to both Winnebago and Lippert training schools and told us the slide which houses the kitchen counters is too heavy for the Lipper/Schwintek system that was put in on our 2013 coach. I believe they also used this system on the 2014 so I think you are absolutely right Finhawk-the slide is just too heavy! Our upgrade was suppose to fix that! We get the coach back on Wed so will be interested in what they come up with. We love the 40U, just frustrated with not being able to use it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I am surprised that Winnebago is using the Lippert system.

Ken
Old 10-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I am surprised that Winnebago is using the Lippert system.

Ken
Why?
Old 10-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Why?
Because, from what I'm reading and hearing, it apparently is a much cheaper unit to purchase and install. It is one of those systems that looks good on the blue prints, but not so well in actual operation, especially on the larger wall type slides. Lack of good quality control at some of the factories adds to the problems with these systems. All four motors must turn at the same rpm and have minimal stress on the tracks. I was told that they are now on generation 3 of the system, which is what I was told was on the Thor, and they still don't have it right. I had the additional problem that the opening for the wall slide was a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch out of square and one of the motors tore loose from it's mounting screws.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Why?
I thought Winnebago was a bit more into quality rather than cheap. I guess the accounting wienies are winning there as well.

Ken
Old 11-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

A update. Took the rig to the Dealer today. The entire slide mechanism on the rear "fell apart" according to the mechanic. So, anyhow, Winnibago is repacing the whole thing including the control box and stops. The Svc Advisor told me that Winnibago is Warranting all all the first year models of that "thing". Good to know.
Hopefully after this the problem will be solved. We shall see!!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Got our MH back Thursday for the third time! With the help of Winnebago and Lippert they finally found a bad wire in a module so we have an entirely new slide mechanism, new wiring and new motors! If it sticks again we may just shoot it and put it out of it's misery-seems like the humane thing to do. Taking it on a trip Monday so fingers crossed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Well, after reading all these posts I feel extremely lucky to have a HWH slide system. I am on my 3rd Winnebago with the HWH slide and jack system and I have only had a couple of minor problems. I am a happy camper.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Well, sadly we have joined those of you with Lippert slide issues. We bought a new 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, a beautiful rv, but before we even got off the sales lot the mid-size slide's aft was occasionally hanging on retract, and the lower-aft corner remains out 1-inch. CW ordered a mod kit, what ever that is has yet to be seen, but we where told continued use should not be an issue, though my little voice said 'don't use it'. I should have listened, as the issue worsened to the point after 5 deployments that the slide's forward end hung and would not stow at all. It stopped after retracting 3 inches. Being in a campground several hundred miles from the nearest CW my wife manned the control switch and I gave the old heave ho and the slide fully retracted, not to be deployed again until repaired. We are scheduled for repair second week in January, but bummed to spend the holidays in a less than fully deployed coach.
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKW View Post
Well, sadly we have joined those of you with Lippert slide issues. We bought a new 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, a beautiful rv, but before we even got off the sales lot the mid-size slide's aft was occasionally hanging on retract, and the lower-aft corner remains out 1-inch. CW ordered a mod kit, what ever that is has yet to be seen, but we where told continued use should not be an issue, though my little voice said 'don't use it'. I should have listened, as the issue worsened to the point after 5 deployments that the slide's forward end hung and would not stow at all. It stopped after retracting 3 inches. Being in a campground several hundred miles from the nearest CW my wife manned the control switch and I gave the old heave ho and the slide fully retracted, not to be deployed again until repaired. We are scheduled for repair second week in January, but bummed to spend the holidays in a less than fully deployed coach.
I feel your pain!! We lived in this thing for nearly a month with the galley slide in. But look at it from the bright side. You'll be amazed how much room you'll have again.
I think that the engineers at Winnibago should be forced to live in one of these with the slide in. Maybe for a month or so. Then they might get their collective
heads out of where ever they keep them and realize that they goofed.
I've only used mine twice since CW replaced the entire mechanism. I'm tempted to run it in and out every week for a while and see what happens. Needless to say, I'm a bit gunshy!
Did I mention that the entire thing has been replaced twice?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Our 40U has also been to the dealer twice and the last time seems to be a winner! We have an entire new mechanism, new motors, and tracks and so far no problems. The tech did tell us if ever it should stick when retracting hit the manual override, run inside and extend the slide all the way. Then hit the manual override again, run inside and retract and we should be able to get the slide in. Hopefully we won't have to try that again!! If we can get to Forest City we plan on getting them to go over everything again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Sawtelle,
Thanks for the info. We are all nervous about these new slides. We appreciate the information.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide