Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I am on my third winnebago ( two with slides) since 1986. I've only had little problems and never been for repair. I've never even been in Iowa. I always recommend the adventurer.
After reading this post it seems they lowered the level of quality and made the whole Moho as unreliable as the rest.
Any slide failure or any other major problem not caused by neglect is a complete failure of a product. Consumer reports would tear these guys apart. I know there is a lot of parts, but the failure rate on cars is 2 or 3 problems for every hundred. A three year 36,000 mile warranty should be standard. One of these days japan is going to send over a defect free coach and the game will be over.
Come on Winnebago!
garyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

It may be only through a class action law suit, though only a last ditch effort by owners, that will get the attention of Winnebago. I am extremely puzzled how the engineering and/or production line got this so wrong. The slides equipped with Lippert of which seem to be failing are doing so because the Lippert design is unsuitable for the larger, heavier galley slides, while the smaller bedroom slides infrequently experience any issues. I also believe the lack of an effective QA program on the assembly line is partially at fault. For example, the aft end of our galley slide problem was the result of an incorrectly and I sufficiently secured wire harness. A plastic strap or tie-wrap and the harness support feed into the gear and track which resulted in a momentary jam, then the motor over came the resistance and bent the roller bracket. Everything went down hill from there when the slightly mis-synchronized slide placed added pressure on the forward tracks resulting in the gear damaging the track teeth. Ultimately the slide jammed after only traveling a few inches during retract. Was this a result of mis-use, certainly not. This was the case of overextending the capabilities of the track system design, an engineering mistake, and the failure of production line quality of craftsmanship and inadequate production controls (aka QA), obviously so. In the galley cable and plumbing spaces beneath the countertop there are numerous support brackets and electrical cable and water hose support straps that are missing attachment screws. The various structures, wires and hoses are subsequently not adequately secured structurally nor prevented from interfering with the mechanical components of the slide track system. From what I have been able to access and witness approximately half of the screws were actually installed in these interior spaces. Typically, it is not a single cause of such failures, but the culmination of multiple engineering, production and/or operational actions. I can assure Winnebago the issues with our slide, and I expect that of many others owners, is the result of the two proceeding actions/inactions and not the latter.
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Oh, one other example. At CW a customer was getting his delivery demo and walk-through of a brand new Winnebago motorcoach, a unit similar to our 43 footer. The coach had already had a PDI. During the demo the galley slide was extended and on retract the slide locked up on one end, and in a moment was twisted in the frame and unable to further retract or extend. Unable to resolve the issue, likely requiring use of the Winnebago Emergency Retract Procedure which is to manually disengage the motor from the drive gear, the customer was fuming. He was calmed down by the salesman, but immediately went to the sales manager asking for a full refund and was a adamant in never buying a Winnebago product again. I don't blame him, as our coach when new in November also jammed on the second extraction on the dealer's lot. In our case, the issue was overcome using a full extension and then retracted okay. But, on the 5th use of the slide it jammed as described in the previous post. I am really hot over this Lippert issue, and I'm not alone I would guess.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

We are having the same issue, have gone thru 2 sets of slide mechanism, and another set on order, both front and rear on the Kitchen slide, it seems that they are good for about 10-15 operations until they fail. We found a good dealer in Hesperia that has fixed the slide by using parts from several broken ones to get us on the road to make it to Quartzite, since the parts are not expected before we head out there. It seems that the bouncing on the road is making the slide bounce on the arms and breaks the plastic shoe, once that shoe breaks, you are done. I cant believe that the entire slide rides on a small piece of plastic that covers a piece of metal. Attached is the letter I sent to Owner Relations, I took several pictures to document what had happened and hopefully they will resolve soon. I spoke to Eric at Winnebago and he said that they are still working with Lippert for a solution???

Paul & Debbie Potter
2013 Winnebago Journey 42E
Old 12-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Just bought our Brand new 2013 Winnebago Journey 42e 10 days ago so far the kitchen slide broke and now the same side bedroom slide is loud and clicking and skipping very bad. Our self leveling jacks also broke the same day. We have a list a mile long with broken or non working components . Somebody did paint touch up with a spray can in some areas as it is flat and overspray on multiple areas couldn't see this as they parked the motorhome under a covered area for the PDI.
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NewRVers View Post
Just bought our Brand new 2013 Winnebago Journey 42e 10 days ago so far the kitchen slide broke and now the same side bedroom slide is loud and clicking and skipping very bad. Our self leveling jacks also broke the same day. We have a list a mile long with broken or non working components . Somebody did paint touch up with a spray can in some areas as it is flat and overspray on multiple areas couldn't see this as they parked the motorhome under a covered area for the PDI.
The paint condition sounds like it came from the factory. Our paint job had overspray, debris under paint and paint peeling off. A neighbor in the RV park just bought a new Journey and the paint has swirls and looks terrible. Tiffin advertises their care in their paint jobs in full page ads. Maybe WB could say we even have our paint contractor clean the roller and brushes.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersharkjd View Post
The paint condition sounds like it came from the factory. Our paint job had overspray, debris under paint and paint peeling off. A neighbor in the RV park just bought a new Journey and the paint has swirls and looks terrible. Tiffin advertises their care in their paint jobs in full page ads. Maybe WB could say we even have our paint contractor clean the roller and brushes.
Are paint has debris and swirls . It to looks terrible! Looked ok the 15-20 minutes we looked at the exterior the times we looked at it before buying it, but once we brought it home and started looking at it the worse it looks every day.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Hi everyone, I have been watching this site for a number of years. I seldom ask a question however, I do have one now. We are looking at a new Tuscany or Berkshire this spring. I assume either will have Lippert slide mechanisms. My history with Lippert is my 2007 FR Georgetown 373 (55,000 miles) with (2) 16' hydraulic slides. Never had a slide problem but replaced hoses as they deteriorated. Now I know there are 50,000 Class A or C motorhomes built every year, so how many really have problems? If I just read the comments I would never purchase anything with Schwintek systems. So do we just hear about the problems and never about the units working well. Help! I am on the fence and do not want to invest that much money and buy a future problem.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NewRVers View Post
Are paint has debris and swirls . It to looks terrible! Looked ok the 15-20 minutes we looked at the exterior the times we looked at it before buying it, but once we brought it home and started looking at it the worse it looks every day.
That is what Winnebago and their paint contractor CDI refer to as a premier automotive finish. I have one place where the graphic paint lines are off by a half inch as they cross molding. This is called premier crap.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
That is what Winnebago and their paint contractor CDI refer to as a premier automotive finish. I have one place where the graphic paint lines are off by a half inch as they cross molding. This is called premier crap.
When I was 20 years old I started up my own body shop that did only custom work. I take pride in what I do. This paint job would have never left my shop NEVER!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Not trying to be a spoilsport but this thread was started as a discussion on the "Lousey Lippert" slide thing. It seems as tho a new thread should be started for paint jobs. By the way, mine is great!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbburgess View Post
Hi everyone, I have been watching this site for a number of years. I seldom ask a question however, I do have one now. We are looking at a new Tuscany or Berkshire this spring. I assume either will have Lippert slide mechanisms. My history with Lippert is my 2007 FR Georgetown 373 (55,000 miles) with (2) 16' hydraulic slides. Never had a slide problem but replaced hoses as they deteriorated. Now I know there are 50,000 Class A or C motorhomes built every year, so how many really have problems? If I just read the comments I would never purchase anything with Schwintek systems. So do we just hear about the problems and never about the units working well. Help! I am on the fence and do not want to invest that much money and buy a future problem.
Hi gbburgess, I have had Lippert slides for a little over a year and had one slide malfunction two times. Both times it was a motor coupler that broke. I believe Lippert is a great company and that they have a good product. The motors that they use are very powerful at 500 to one ratio. Turns out that the controller for my passenger slide was set to stall at too high of an amp load for the weight of the slide. After setting it down (it can also be replaced with the updated controller that is pre set to the lower amp stall) and lubing the motor couplers and shafts with Lipperts recommended lube it is amassing how much smoother the slide works. Before at full retract or extend I could tell it was over stressed and is not now. Lippert tests there systems extensively but as you know there is no better test than in the unit over time. I don't believe that the Lippert electric slide system is going away and that they will only get better. I also read the forums of others having slide problems and I feel there pain. If I were in the market for another coach I would not let the fact that it had Lipperts electric slides steer me away. My slides have been extended and retracted over 130 times to date. The passenger slide fail was on the 3rd and 53rd time. I will be very surprised if it happens again any time soon. It works too smoothly since the stall adjustment and lube.
Happy New Year!
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I received a response from owners relations yesterday with an update on what is going on with slide repairs. They said they just released a new version of the slide mechanism on Monday where the plastic shoe that keeps breaking has been re-designed. Currently what is happening is when side is fully extended, and the picture frame around the slide touches the outside and then based on current drop, the slide stops extending out it is at times going too far and breaking off one end of the plastic shoe, then the slide comes in and the shoe comes to the inside, but the next time you extend it, the rear half of the shoe is broken off, so it cant stay with the metal drive, it instead stays stuck in the track and that when it starts twisting into the rack and you are done. They have done a couple of things, one is on the new tracks that productions starts on 1/2/14 will be the shoe is now secured in the middle so if either end breaks, it will not separate and they are also having the dealers remove the D shaped bulb seal on the back side of the picture frame with solid aluminum so that it has a solid surface for a more positive stop. He also told me that they have this new mechanism in the test lab, and so far have 3200 opens and closes on it and still working. They also said to make sure and lubricate with CRC 03045 lubricant. (ordered some from eBay, 7.12) Hopefully this will fix it for good.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid1 View Post
I received a response from owners relations yesterday with an update on what is going on with slide repairs. They said they just released a new version of the slide mechanism on Monday where the plastic shoe that keeps breaking has been re-designed. Currently what is happening is when side is fully extended, and the picture frame around the slide touches the outside and then based on current drop, the slide stops extending out it is at times going too far and breaking off one end of the plastic shoe, then the slide comes in and the shoe comes to the inside, but the next time you extend it, the rear half of the shoe is broken off, so it cant stay with the metal drive, it instead stays stuck in the track and that when it starts twisting into the rack and you are done. They have done a couple of things, one is on the new tracks that productions starts on 1/2/14 will be the shoe is now secured in the middle so if either end breaks, it will not separate and they are also having the dealers remove the D shaped bulb seal on the back side of the picture frame with solid aluminum so that it has a solid surface for a more positive stop. He also told me that they have this new mechanism in the test lab, and so far have 3200 opens and closes on it and still working. They also said to make sure and lubricate with CRC 03045 lubricant. (ordered some from eBay, 7.12) Hopefully this will fix it for good.
Sounds like great news for us to start the New Year.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

That's all well and good! My question is, what's going to happen to those of us who have had a problem in the past prior to the latest upgrade? My entire slide mechanism was replaced with the "latest and greatest" upgrade when it failed last May. It lasted less than 20 cycles before it went belly up again. In Nov/Dec the whole works was again replaced with the latest and greatest! I wonder how many of those latest and greatest will come out before they get it right? I also wonder if Lippert will stand behind their product or if we will get stuck with the bill when it fails the next time.
Sorry if I sound a bit disgusted!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

I share the concerns expressed by FinHawk, as we are scheduled next week for repair of our Galley slide, mfr by Lippert. The parts where ordered in November and received by CW for installation a couple of weeks ago. Likely this does not include the latest product enhancement spoke of concerning the gear mechanism, and are like material as originally installed. It really frustrates me to think of getting back the coach after the install next week and wondering each time we deploy the slide if it is going to properly retract or fail. Things brake, understood, but this is a known engineering issue that owners are suffering through that I hope Lippert and Winnebago recognize as an issue they must resolve, and hopefully not at financial costs to owners. Inconvenience, frustration, loss of full use of a coach slide(s), interruption to travel plans, down time in the shop, waiting for parts and a scheduled date for service, the list goes on that these owners suffer which cannot be easily put into a dollar amount. Simply put, this has been, still is, a bummer.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #37
Winnie-Wise

Paul,
Could you tell me who you talked to in Owner Relations?? I am working with Eric Gustafson and just want to make sure he is up to date about the Lippert slides. I have one corner that does not completely close flush. Not a big item but they are going to check it when I return to Forest City in June.
Thank you for sharing the updated information.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Hi Dennis
Mostly have been talking to Eric, but he was out and got Tom, he had a lot more info and had a very good understanding of the issue
Hope that helps
Paul
Old 01-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #39
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Paul,
I am having trouble visualizing your description. When you say they will "screw the shoe in the middle so it will be more secure...," I thought the shoe was fastened all along the top and bottom of the shoe?? Am I misunderstanding what you are calling the "shoe?" Are you talking about the track that we see on the outside of the slide? Or, is there another shoe someplace??
Replacing the rubber D seal with aluminum makes sense but I thought it was part of the seal to keep out the water. Is there a blow up photo or diagram of this any place?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #40
Winnebago Master

I just talked to a gal at Lippert customer service about the system. I told her that mine had failed twice and that I am really gunshy. She said that they don't recommend using any lube. The way to operate the slide is to hold the switch down until it is fully extended or retracted. Don't let off on it. Allow the motors to shut down on their own. I thought that I had been doing that, but maybe not. So anyhow, it's worth a shot!
Just thought I'd pass it on.

Tags
slide