Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Lippert Leveling System Error Message

We have our 2013 Adventurer sitting in the drive hoping to leave for warmer climates in the morning. Unfortunately when I started it to move it a few feet I got an alarm and error code on the Lippert jack control panel.

Even though the jacks weren't extended I got the message, "Retract Timed Out - Return For Service". I've gone through the manuals that came with the motorhome and am unable to find any reference to this error code or any troubleshooting procedure that covers it.

I tried to call Lippert, but they are closed for the day and won't return until well past the time we need to hit the road.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Are there any online manuals that cover this situation? And finally if all else fails is there a way to disable the touch pad to eliminate the periodic beeping and flashing warning.

All the jacks appear to be fully retracted, and all the lights on the panel are out except the continual error message running across the screen, and the periodic warning beep.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Try this. Disconnect power to the system and reconnect. Then reset it:

To reset, Hold all four buttons simultaneously (front/back/left/side).

If yours has the auto level function:

Manually level the coach and then tell the leveler system that it is leveled by turning the panel off, then on, pressing the front button 5 times followed by the rear button five times, then the retract button 3 times and you are set.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Al2ride
Try this:
Turn ignition to RUN position Set parking brake Turn ignition OFF and then back ON.

Extend then retract. Try again.

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Just had this error two weeks ago. I turned the unit off, turned it back on then did the steps that Jbmsr did above and it cleared for me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hikerdogs,

Been there… done that. Per Lippert tech:

To clear the error message simply hold down the retract and enter buttons simultaneously and it should quickly clear. I've done this at least three times, most recently two weeks ago.

I like the auto level feature, however this system seems to be a bit finicky. It doesn't take much to "throw it off its feed".

Let me know if it works for you and safe travels

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. I tried the on and off routine a couple times, but the code was still present. Jupiter's response did the trick. I held both buttons for about 5 seconds. The panel flashed and beeped a couple times then read "All Jacks Up" and shut down in the normal manner. Hopefully everything will still work at 5:30 AM tomorrow in the -10 degree weather

Thanks again
Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Thanks everyone for your quick responses. I tried the on and off routine a couple times, but the code was still present. Jupiter's response did the trick. I held both buttons for about 5 seconds. The panel flashed and beeped a couple times then read "All Jacks Up" and shut down in the normal manner. Hopefully everything will still work at 5:30 AM tomorrow in the -10 degree weather

Thanks again
Thanks for the update. Have a safe trip.
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Good to know Thanks Jupiter.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Jupiter is correct,
Here is the official Winnebago Quick Reference Guide:
http://www.lippertcomponents.com/ima...sheet/0231.pdf
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem on the first overnight with my Journey. Did as Jupiter suggest per the Lippert tech. Message cleared, then he proceeded to tell me there is a tech service bulletin for this. If I remember correctly they had to change the relay for "time to retract". apparently the system timed out in the auto retract procedure.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

We've had the motorhome almost a year. It's got over 11,000 miles on it and has already been to Alaska. In all that time and all those miles this the first problem. I'm sure temperatures of -8* didn't help the retraction time. We're now in balmy Georgia with temperatures all the way up to 35* and haven't had another reoccurrence.

We made it all the way to Champaign Ill. without any further problems. We were cruising along at about 62 mph when we heard a loud crash and felt a big bump from the back. As I looked out the drivers side window a small pickup was heading across the highway at an angle.

We pulled over and got out to see what happened. Apparently a kid was driving along at 70+mph not paying attention to traffic and rear ended the bright yellow Jeep we were towing. The back of our Jeep was all smashed in, the tow bar and related towing gear was turned into a pretzel, and there was some damage to the front of the Jeep.

Luckily there were no injuries, but I have to admit I would have never expected it. The kid tried to tell the state patrol officer his windshield was so dirty he couldn't see us in front of him. I'll bet he was either on the phone or texting.

The Jeep is in the body shop, and will hopefully be repaired by the time we head for home. It looks like we'll be renting something when we get to Florida. Hopefully the rest of the trip will be without anymore of this type of excitement.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Wow, but we've all been there done that !
I mean, we've all been the kid and you at one point or another

I would think his insurance should pay for your rental, one less headache for you !
Old 02-09-2014, 05:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I've found that you won't get the error if you run the engine while operating the jacks.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Camper,

Unfortunately, that has not been my experience. I have always run the engine while extending or retracting and have still experienced the error code.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I agree with Jupiter's recommendation for clearing the error message. But in our situation, when I later tried to retract the jacks, as soon as I hit enter, the "low voltage" flight came right back on. Problem is, our voltage was up around 13.1

But to Hikerdog, that sure was an adventurous trip!!! Hopefully the rest went smoothly!!
TravelDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

The remainder of the trip was uneventful. However we spent almost 3 weeks working with the insurance company trying to determine whether the Jeep was repairable. At first the damage estimate was $5,000.00. With further inspection it jumped to over $10,000.00. At that point they were considering totaling it.

After a considerable amount of research they decided to go ahead with the repairs. Apparently they couldn't come up with a comparable Jeep to make an accurate value assessment. It was in like new condition with only 40,000 miles on the odometer. A comparable replacement would have cost over $18,000.00 so they decided to repair it.

It's still setting in the body shop in Urbana Ill. It's supposed to be finished near the end of the month. It's still hard to believe there was that much damage. We drove it 20 miles to the body shop in Champaign, and they drove it from there to a sister body shop in Urbana. Here's a few pictures at the scene. Note the condition of the tow bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6969.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	58289   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6970.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	58290  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6972.jpg