Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 06:32 AM   #121
Winnebago Owner

We also had a cross country trip from VA to VA. The issue only came live once in Tennessee. Still happy with Caterpillar additive.

Itasca Meridian 36M, 2013. Jeep Wrangler X, 2009
Full Timer from Norfolk VA
Nxkharra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #122
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
We also had a cross country trip from VA to VA. The issue only came live once in Tennessee. Still happy with Caterpillar additive.

What is the time frame (how many hours) between jack use? Are you activating the jacks at least once a day?

Thanks
John
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:28 AM   #123
Winnebago Owner

Took us us 10 days and except two nights stay in the same place, the remaining nights were at different places and jacks were used.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #124
Site Team

Mine is also finicky, but it works ok. Today when leaving the RV park I auto retracted the jacks. After retracting, after a few moments the jacks down light went on again. I auto retracted again, and again to jacks down light came on again. The alarm did not sound as I was still in Park with the emergency brake engaged. This time, I went into manual mode and extended the rear jacks a little, then manually retracted them. For good measure I auto retracted again. Everything was fine for the trip home. The last few trips in warmer weather I have had no problems. This trip was on the pacific coast near San Francisco and it was about 60 degrees.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:13 AM   #125
Winnebago Owner

Update on my jacks

I posted last week that I would do some maintance on the Lippert jack system. Here are my findings & what I did. Hopefully I corrected something.
First thing I did was go to the manufactures tech page http://lci1.com/assets/content/suppo...heets/0295.pdf
I found through this forum & I think it is somewhere in this thread. I found a CAT dealer in Leland NC & purchased a qt of the Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891 for $26. Next I gained access to the reservoir by lifting the front 2 steps. The whole system under here was dirty & there was some residual fluid on the bottom of the pump area. I cleaned this all with brake cleaner & a catch pan placed under area on the ground. I then checked all the lines for tightness & found a couple that took a quarter turn to fully tighten, at 3000 psi that's all it takes for a slight leak. After it was all clean I opened the cap to find the fluid level was actually low at 3/4 to 1" below the filler neck. Lippert says it should be 1/4-1/2" below. after further research in my owners manuals I found that the fluid should be changed every 36 months. My Winnebago is apprx 36 months or a little less from manufacturer date. I have had it since January 2013. So I drained the fluid with a hand pump & replaced per the instructions listed above adding 1/2 of the qt of the oil additive after putting in 7 qts of new ATF Mercon V fluid. Ran the jacks to full down position manually, added the remaining additive & retracted the jacks. Checked the fluid level & it was perfect at 1/4" below the filler neck & right on the dipstick full mark. I then did a auto level & auto retract 2 times. After retract I put the tranny in drive & released the parking brake and I had no lights or warning alarms. I repeated this a few times with the same results. Fingers crossed, new fluid along with the additive & I am good for another 30-36 months.
Total cost including CAT additive was $75 with an extra qt of ATF fluid.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #126
Winnebago Master

Just a post script: Lippert bought out PowerGear/Kwikee for $35.5 million.

Maybe now I can get my kwikee jacks fixed.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #127
Winnebago Owner

Yet Another Jack Tale

I don't know why it took so long for me to see this thread, but now I have, so I'll add my war story to the mix.

I bought my 2006 Winnebago Voyage 2 years ago. On the test ride everything was perfect. After delivery the jacks down warning light came on about 15 minutes after it became mine. I stopped immediately and checked the jacks - all up. The system is the Kwikee Level Best.

Since then I have had a jack replaced, a new pump unit, a new balancing valve, and who knows what else. Thank goodness for the extended warranty which has paid for it all.

The warning light will still come on at random intervals - maybe twice in 5 minutes, maybe not for an hour or two. I have gotten so I can reach over and turn on the system and push the jacks-up button without looking.

Another problem has been the periodic non-deployment of the right front jack. This usually occurs when using the automatic mode, but sometimes when deploying the jacks manually. It's a crap-shoot, pure and simple.

My thinking now is that it might be the controller. So once football season is over and before our holiday travel, I'll see if I can have a new controller installed. It will be interesting.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #128
Winnebago Owner

After doing a fluid change & adding the CAT hydraulic fluid additive. I have had an opportunity to run the jacks several times in varying outside temps from 70'+ to 35'. The next day after the fluid change the jacks came up, but then I got the jacks down warning & they automatically came up & turned off the warning while I was driving. I don't believe the jacks actually lowered because the pump came on for 3 seconds then the warnings all went off. Now after several auto jacks stowed I not had any issues even after sitting for several days 3 times.
Makes me wonder how many of you have done a fluid change & added the additive before changing parts? The Lippert manual says to change the fluid every 36 months.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #129
Site Team

dsbike, how do you change the fluid? Is there a way to drain it or do you have to siphon it out?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:34 AM   #130
Winnebago Owner

You have to siphon it out.I used a small suction pump. Then follow this procedure from the manufactures tech page http://lci1.com/assets/content/suppo...heets/0295.pdf
I found through this forum & I think it is somewhere in this thread.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #131
Winnebago Owner

That link did not seem to work for me after I posted it. Lets try it again : http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...heets/0295.pdf
Old 10-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #132
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
dsbike, how do you change the fluid? Is there a way to drain it or do you have to siphon it out?
I use a small baster to add fluid. One that would reach to the bottom of the pump should do. Tedious, but very cheap. Or try the old rubber hose siphon trick. Just remember to let DW get the flow started and have some mouthwash handy.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:35 AM   #133
Winnebago Owner

Wayne, is this how you empty the fluid or add. Could you elaborate on how to empty it?
Old 10-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #134
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Wayne, is this how you empty the fluid or add. Could you elaborate on how to empty it?
Either way. The baster (think Turkey Baster, just don't let the DW know you used it) has a squeeze bulb so if you squeeze it then insert it into the sump and release the bulb it will suck up whatever the baster can hold. Pull it out and squeeze the bulb to empty it into a container.

The reverse is true if you need to fill the sump. Squeeze the bulb and put the end of the baster into a hydraulic fluid/Dexron transmission fluid container, suck up some juice, put the end of the baster into the sump and squeeze the bulb to empty the baster.

baster

Just remember that if you need to empty the sump you need a long enough baster to get to the bottom of the sump. I have a short baster for just adding fluid if needed. If I need to change out all the fluid I'll have to buy another longer baster.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #135
Site Team

dsbike, thanks for the tip!
Old 10-24-2015, 04:48 AM   #136
Winnebago Owner

You're welcome macnut.
Wayne, just get a piece of rubber hose that will fit snug on the end of the baster that is long enough to reach the bottom of the sump.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #137
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
You're welcome macnut.
Wayne, just get a piece of rubber hose that will fit snug on the end of the baster that is long enough to reach the bottom of the sump.
That's what I said earlier, but added to let DW start the flow!!
Old 10-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #138
Winnebago Owner

Wayne, will the emptying the fluid process described gets rid of all the fluid. Similar to emptying oil from a car? I am referring to the fluid that is in the lines, or jacks (if any).
Does it matter if some of the old fluid is left? Adding the new should dilute the old stuff enough. Correct?
Thanks for helping us with this annoying issue.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #139
Winnebago Master

NxKHarra,

No, it will not get rid of all the fluid. A residue will remain in the tank and the lines. The only way to completely remove the fluid would be to drain the lines and the tank. One would have to remove the connections on the lines and blow out the lines and then flush them. As for the tank, i think the only way to completely empty it is to remove it and flush it.

In my mind it is not a simple process.

Others may have a better way.

Tags
leveling