Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Lippert Jacks

Well... Continuing to have problems with my Lippert Jacks. Half the hydraulic lines have already been replaced from a prior problem. Looks like the others need to be replaced now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2923.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	140094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2926.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	140095  

Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Wow, that looks bad. I think I'll check mine this weekend. They have always been finicky, but I had not noticed bulging lines before.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Update - I brought my motorhome to the dealership today regarding the jacks. I made a mistake in my original post. The orange hydraulic hoses, which I thought were the OEM hoses, are actually the Eaton replacement hoses. My mechanic was very surprised these hoses started to bulge since they are a better quality hose than the OEM hoses. He also said the Lippert Jack System, Unlike Powergear or HWH systems, hold the pressure (approximately 2,000 lbs.) in the hoses which actually adds to the strain of the hoses. These same hoses were replaced approximately 1 1/2 years ago. He is going to give this issue some thought and mentioned about possibly looking into aircraft hydraulic hoses which would handle more pressure. Now, this is just something he mentioned off the top of his head and we don't know how costly or the possibility of taking this approach.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:09 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Update #2

My mechanic was able to find a hydraulic hose (Gates 4G2) which is rated at a maximum of 5800 PSI. He indicated the Lippert System maintains a constant pressure of approximately 2,000 PSI when the jacks are up. The former Eaton hoses were only rated at a maximum pressure of approximately 3,200 PSI. The Gates hoses are double walled which is reinforced with braided steel wire. He believes the Gates hoses will hold up better than the prior Eaton hoses. Kudos to Protective Extended Warranty for picking up the repair of over $1600 for four return lines and labor. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2958.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	142852   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2962.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	142853  

Name:	IMG_2964.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	142854  
Old 10-28-2016, 12:18 AM   #5
Site Team

Sounds great, John! Hope this is the last hydraulic jack repair you have to make!
Old 10-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I don't think that is correct, the pressure is in the lines on all hydraulic jacks, or at least if the valving is located at the pump and not the ram. To manually lower my HWH jacks, I had to loosen a valve at the pump relieving the pressure in the line to the ram.

I think the lines used in your installation were not of sufficient strength for the job. Hopefully Winnebago did not use them for too long.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:07 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post
I don't think that is correct, the pressure is in the lines on all hydraulic jacks, or at least if the valving is located at the pump and not the ram. To manually lower my HWH jacks, I had to loosen a valve at the pump relieving the pressure in the line to the ram.

I think the lines used in your installation were not of sufficient strength for the job. Hopefully Winnebago did not use them for too long.
Maybe I was not clear in my explanation. That is what I was trying to say which is why the lines were bulging. My mechanic looked for a stronger line (new 5800 PSI line vs the former 3200 PSI line).

Thanks
Old 11-03-2016, 02:16 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hi, sorry, I missed the original post - what symptoms were you (OP) experiencing? I have a 2015 Itasca and the jacks aren't currently working but current thinking is that the motor is bad. I will however, start looking for bulged lines. Were all of the bulges at, or near, the pump area/ Thanks. Anyone hear of motor type issues with these systems? Thanks
Upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:22 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
Hi, sorry, I missed the original post - what symptoms were you (OP) experiencing? I have a 2015 Itasca and the jacks aren't currently working but current thinking is that the motor is bad. I will however, start looking for bulged lines. Were all of the bulges at, or near, the pump area/ Thanks. Anyone hear of motor type issues with these systems? Thanks
The initial problem was the jack down light would come on after the motorhome was sitting a couple days with the jacks in the up position (retracted). They attempted to diagnose the problem by replacing the return lines because they were bulging. At one point, they replaced the motor because it was leaking fluid. Now the replacement lines started to bulge, so my dealership looked into a higher pressure hose (Gates 4G2 Hose - see post above). Only time will tell...
Old 11-05-2016, 02:42 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Thanks. I'm going through the motor replacement part of it now - confirmed the motor was bad. Were all of the bulges at or near the pump or should I follow all of them all the way to the jacks? I'll try to check them this weekend.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:15 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

With my motorhome, at about the 3 1/2 year point, I had to add some fluid into the hydraulic reservoir to keep the 'jacks down' alarm from going off when rounding a sharp curve.

At the 5th year annual Freightliner checkup, they noted there were some bulges in the hoses at the rear levelers. I checked at the pump, and there were bulges there too, and who knows where else along the hose lengths. I also added a bit more fluid at that point.

Later that summer, we were at Winnebago, and I had all four hoses replaced. Luckily it was covered by my Good Sam Extended Warranty plan.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks. I'm going through the motor replacement part of it now - confirmed the motor was bad. Were all of the bulges at or near the pump or should I follow all of them all the way to the jacks? I'll try to check them this weekend.
I only noticed bulges near the pump. I just noticed a leak at one of the fitting(fitting that goes into the black portion of the pump) yesterday. It is now back at the dealership for repair. Mechanic said it is the O-ring.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
I only noticed bulges near the pump. I just noticed a leak at one of the fitting(fitting that goes into the black portion of the pump) yesterday. It is now back at the dealership for repair. Mechanic said it is the O-ring.
Well, first trip out and the fluid is leaking at the o-ring that was just replaced at the pump (see photo). If you look at the picture closely, you can see fluid around the o-ring and on top of the black part of the pump. Last time I spoke with my mechanic, he made mention about using the stronger lines and the system looking for the next weakest point. I think the system found it. Only seems to leak when the jacks are in the up (retracted) position. Motorhome going back to the dealership on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2987.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	144746  
Old 11-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #14
Site Team

Sorry to hear that!
Old 11-20-2016, 02:35 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

What a PITA! Is it just weeping a little or is there an actual leak? Is it something you can drive around for a bit and then retorque the fittings? Sometimes these things will seat themselves - don't ask me how. Or try sourcing aircraft quality O rings?

Have you contacted Winnebago service advisors directly and if so, what was their opinion/suggestion?

Best of luck and keep us posted because I'm sure I, and a lot of others, have the exact same system.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
What a PITA! Is it just weeping a little or is there an actual leak? Is it something you can drive around for a bit and then retorque the fittings? Sometimes these things will seat themselves - don't ask me how. Or try sourcing aircraft quality O rings?

Have you contacted Winnebago service advisors directly and if so, what was their opinion/suggestion?

Best of luck and keep us posted because I'm sure I, and a lot of others, have the exact same system.
I would consider it a slight/slow leak. I wiped the area before my two hour drive to the RV Park. When I arrived, the photo above is what the pump looked like. It is not pouring out, but I would consider it more than a weeping. My Ford mechanic already tried to retorque the fitting prior to the O-ring being replaced by the RV Dealership. The fitting will not move once it is completely seated. I have not contacted Winnebago and I do not believe the Dealership has either because we believed the O-ring being replaced would solve the problem. It looked pretty good when I picked it up, but there was a little bit of fluid around the O-ring. We though it was residue from replacing the O-ring. I wiped it away and it stayed dry before I left the dealership.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:28 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the update. Please post any solution you come up with as I'm sure many of us are interested. Another suggestion, if I might, is to contact Lippert/LCI directly, explain the situation and see what they had to say. I dealt with them recently and they were very accommodating.
If you contact them directly, you may consider asking if the system is under pressure, or the same pressure, when the jacks are both extended and retracted. Doesn't seem like they would be, but I guess it's possible. Thanks
Old 11-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Please post any solution you come up with as I'm sure many of us are interested. Another suggestion, if I might, is to contact Lippert/LCI directly, explain the situation and see what they had to say. I dealt with them recently and they were very accommodating.
If you contact them directly, you may consider asking if the system is under pressure, or the same pressure, when the jacks are both extended and retracted. Doesn't seem like they would be, but I guess it's possible. Thanks
Regrading the pressure issue, I do know the return lines are under pressure when the jacks are retracted. This is why the return lines continue to bulge and have to be replaced. I am assuming with the higher pressure replacement lines, this will no longer be a problem. MY guess is there is a valve or switch at each jack that closes when the jacks are extended. The pressure at the jacks would keep them extended and take the pressure off the line. This is why the pump is not leaking at the O-tring when the jacks are extended. Again, this is just my theory regarding the valve/switch. If I think about it, I will ask my mechanic. He is actually very knowledgeable about the system.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #19
Site Team

Yes, he is knowledgeable because he's worked on your system so many times! :-)
Old 11-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #20
Site Team

Sorry at the attempted humor! I've actually learned a lot about my system as you have worked through this. Otherwise, I would not have inspected my lines and hydraulic system for leaks. Thanks for posting about your progress!

Tags
jacks, lippert