Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Its all good... Unfortunately, the system is only as good as the parts used. I don't blame my mechanic. I blame the poor quality parts.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #22
Site Team

Definitely. Lippert should do better.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:03 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Well, first trip out and the fluid is leaking at the o-ring that was just replaced at the pump (see photo). If you look at the picture closely, you can see fluid around the o-ring and on top of the black part of the pump. Last time I spoke with my mechanic, he made mention about using the stronger lines and the system looking for the next weakest point. I think the system found it. Only seems to leak when the jacks are in the up (retracted) position. Motorhome going back to the dealership on Monday.
**Update**
Heard back from the Dealership today. They purchased a different O-ring and installed it yesterday. The O-ring appears to be holding. My mechanic cycled the jacks today and wants to hold the RV for a couple days to make sure there is no more leak. I told him I would pickup the RV in a week. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #24
Site Team

Thanks for the update. Wishing you good luck on the fix!!
Old 11-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

To the OP. Can you provide contact information regarding Protective Extended Warranty? None of the companies I've contacted will cover hose - of almost any type. Given your situation, I'd really like to find one that would cover it. Thanks a bunch.
Upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
To the OP. Can you provide contact information regarding Protective Extended Warranty? None of the companies I've contacted will cover hose - of almost any type. Given your situation, I'd really like to find one that would cover it. Thanks a bunch.
Here is their website;

RV

I believe you can only purchase their warranty (Protective XtraRide) through a dealership. May want to call them (800-950-6060).

Good Luck!
Old 12-01-2016, 02:23 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

I have the Good Sam Gold Extended Warranty Plan, and it did cover the replacement of my hydraulic hoses to each leveling jack. They had developed bulges near some of the jacks and especially right next to the pump. Had the work done at Winnebago in September, 2015.

Haven't used the plan much over the years, but it did pay for replacing my refrigerator cooling unit, and these hoses.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey39n View Post
I have the Good Sam Gold Extended Warranty Plan, and it did cover the replacement of my hydraulic hoses to each leveling jack. They had developed bulges near some of the jacks and especially right next to the pump. Had the work done at Winnebago in September, 2015.

Haven't used the plan much over the years, but it did pay for replacing my refrigerator cooling unit, and these hoses.
And that may be the key work, hydraulic "lines" vs "hoses".
Old 12-02-2016, 01:11 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Good Sam

We're GS members so I'll check them out. I did find one policy that would cover the "lines" but it was $5,200 for 3 years! I'd rather take a chance on paying for the lines.
Upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #30
Winnie-Wise

**Update**

Picked up the motorhome yesterday. The mechanic used a thicker O-ring and some teflon tape to resolve the leak. So far, it has held for the week, so I am hoping the problem is solved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3658.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	145859  
Old 12-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #31
Site Team

Great to hear! Best of luck with the repairs!!
Old 12-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Regarding extended warranties, prices vary on the risk to the insurance company. The older the rig, higher cost, more complex the rig, higher cost. Remember, with this type of coverage, it isn't if, it is when something will fail, so it a decision to pay a little each year for help covering a big failure, or save your money and pay for it yourself when the failure occurs. Both approaches are valid depending upon your situation.

I.E. a new RV's extended warranty may cost, say $1500 for 4 years coverage, because the normal warranties are still in play for some of the time. But after 4 years, you may pay $1500 per year, because more things are expected to fail.

Usually, normal wear and tear items like belts, seals, and hoses aren't covered, but by paying extra, you can get coverage for them. Your deductible amount really effects the premium payment.

In my case, full timing, the little things, I would never get an extended warranty for, say problems under $1500, but . . . what about a transmission, the big house a/c unit, or shudder, the engine. Any problems to these, and many years of premiums would be more than paid back. It's just a matter of risk, and how much you want to assume.

These policies are like any other sort of insurance. You never want to have to use them, but are very happy you have one, if it is really needed.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
Hi, sorry, I missed the original post - what symptoms were you (OP) experiencing? I have a 2015 Itasca and the jacks aren't currently working but current thinking is that the motor is bad. I will however, start looking for bulged lines. Were all of the bulges at, or near, the pump area/ Thanks. Anyone hear of motor type issues with these systems? Thanks
I had to replace our motor (2014 Winnebago Vista) as water got inside the housing. The gaskets on the motor housing are paper, not a material that will seal out moisture. Really poor design. Also, the hydraulic jack systems sits right behind the left front tire and the mudflat wasn't wide enough to cover the whole system. Thus, failure. A new motor is $780. My extended warranty paid for some, but not all.

Good luck.

Tags
jacks, lippert