Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lighted Grab Bar

Has anyone added lighting to the outside grab bar on a 2014 Vista? It has chrome ends and acrylic or Lucite middle with what appears to be fiber optic threads running through it. I'd like to wire it into the porch light circuit. The picture is sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grab bar.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	84986  
haiduan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I suggest you remove the top end of the handle. See if it has a hole to insert an LED or can be drilled out to place one. Then you'll have to drill into the area behind the handle cap and fish a couple of wires up to the outside light. I did it on my entry handle and enjoy the extra 'dazzle.' It'd be smart to buy an LED that already has a resistor built in for 12 v use.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiduan View Post
Has anyone added lighting to the outside grab bar on a 2014 Vista? It has chrome ends and acrylic or Lucite middle with what appears to be fiber optic threads running through it. I'd like to wire it into the porch light circuit. The picture is sideways.
Me too!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_4342.jpg
Views:	1281
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	84987  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Here is a link to a light available on eBay. I bought one to replace my light that had gone bad.

Mine is mounted in the bottom of the handle. There is enough space below the lucite bar for the light to fit and the wires extend through the bottom of the chrome end.
gr8grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Wow, that's a lot for a simple LED lamp. Here's 30 12 v LED assemblies with built in limiting resistor.
30pcs 5mm White 20000MCD LED Lamps Light Set 20cm Pre Wired 9V 12V DC | eBay

You could use 2 or 3 in the handle cap. I suggest the top because it just seems better for weatherproofing the wires and hole. I was going to suggest going to Radio Shack, I've bought these kinds of things there before, but it appears they've shut the doors!

Bob & Donna
Old 02-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Once you get enough nerve to drill thru the sidewall, the installation is pretty easy. Our step has a light that comes on whenever the door is opened, I spliced into that circuit (there is a timer that turns off the circuit if the door is left open).
Old 02-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBandJ View Post
Once you get enough nerve to drill thru the sidewall, the installation is pretty easy. ).
Ditto. For my Ellipse, I just went to a Monaco dealer and purchased a replacement bulb for their lighted grab handles. There was plenty room for it inside the chrome housing and I ran wires through the side of the coach into a lighted rocker switch near the passenger arm rest.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I found the lighted version of my 18" handle on Amazon. I'll take my existing handle off and check to see if provisions were made for lighting. If not, I might just spring for the version that came with the light from the manufacturer.

The Amazon web page has the handle design diagram and also a picture from Winnebago with the handle on their motorhomes.

Amazon.com: ITC (86436-SS/CL-18-DB) IllumaGrip III 18" Polished Stainless Steel Lighted Assist Handle: Automotive
Old 02-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Found the OEM light that goes inside the grab handle.

http://www.amazon.com/ITC-86430-LED-...0+led+assembly

Here's the company that makes the grab handles and also lighting and plumbing, etc. They have downloadable instructions on how to install the light into the handle.

Products
Old 02-03-2015, 03:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
That's exactly what I used. The diameter of the light assembly was slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the grab bar. I slipped the light assembly into a short length of vinyl hose and revised assembly had a nice friction fit into the grab bar.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:00 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
That's exactly what I used. The diameter of the light assembly was slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the grab bar. I slipped the light assembly into a short length of vinyl hose and revised assembly had a nice friction fit into the grab bar.
Sounds good. I ordered one last night. On my unit there is a blank cover plate on the inside wall by the door that is right about even with the outside assist handle. I've never taken it off but I'll see if that gives access to wiring. It could be a spot to put a switch in for it also.

I'll remember your procedure when it comes time to install mine! Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

WOW - Amazing responses. Thanks everyone! Looks like I have a project.
haiduan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
On my unit there is a blank cover plate on the inside wall by the door that is right about even with the outside assist handle.
On our Vista there was an aluminum stud between the access hole behind the cover plate and the mounting location of the grab handle. I just drilled an angled hole in the stud and installed a short length of 1/4" vinyl tubing thru the sidewall to protect the wiring.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
On our Vista there was an aluminum stud between the access hole behind the cover plate and the mounting location of the grab handle. I just drilled an angled hole in the stud and installed a short length of 1/4" vinyl tubing thru the sidewall to protect the wiring.
Ah ha! Ok, now I have the whole procedure laid out in my mind. It's a piece of cake. I'll wait for warmer weather and get it done. I'm thinking of doing a couple of other things in that area at the same time. One is better/more step-well lighting and a LED strip to better illuminate the exterior steps. I think that the OEM yellow step light can be improved upon. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Our OEM handle(says Ultimate on it vertically) has a 12" LED strip light inside,top to bottom. That's when I discovered LED's have been used by Winnebago at least since May 2000. I have no idea if they are still available from W.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:56 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I just purchased this led bulb and socket from O'Reilly for $12. Used a plastic lid to make a bushing to hold it in the handle base. Works like a champ.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1423144435355.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	85223   Click image for larger version

Name:	1423144587611.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	85224  

Old 02-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I took my grab bar off of my 2013 vista to look n see what this job looked like. The inside was full of water. Anyone else have this? I guess i need to caulk when i put it back together.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Problem could have been it was too caulked before, trapping water in the fixture. You might think of adding a drain hole or at least a small gap in the caulking at the bottom of each piece to allow water to drain.

Bob & Donna
Old 02-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Good call, a drain hole in the bottom sounds like the plan
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:40 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hi Andy. The material looks the same as used on my Meridian. I did the upgrade on my coach. The LED is available from several sources. I'll try to post one before I finish this post. Your biggest problem is finding power. If you have a console behind the handle you are golden. If you wish to power it from the porch light switch and it is located behind the handle area it is even better.

(Found the part: LED Replacement Light for Illumagrip Assist Handles, 86430-LED Assembly. You could look for this at Radio Shack.)

The light is mounted in the bottom of the arm. It is less likely to fill with water. It slips into the chrome handle and can be held in place with a small piece of foam rubber or something like that. Drill a hole through the coach wall large enough for the wires to fit. Use a good caulking when putting the handle back on. You can put some aluminum foil in the upper handle as a reflector. It may oxidize with moisture over time.

I hope you can do this upgrade. Looking forward to your success post.

Rick Y