Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Great thread, thanks for starting it. From day 1 i thought winnebago should have installed the light from the factory. I ordered the light from amazon on friday and received it today, Sunday. I completed the job in less than an hour. Now waiting for the sun to go down to see how it looks.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomo View Post
Great thread, thanks for starting it. From day 1 i thought winnebago should have installed the light from the factory. I ordered the light from amazon on friday and received it today, Sunday. I completed the job in less than an hour. Now waiting for the sun to go down to see how it looks.
Mine arrived from Amazon Friday. Haven't gotten a chance to install it yet. Was the stainless steel end cap removable from the clear plastic piece or was it glued?
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

Grab bar on Itasca Sunova 37l

I chuckled when I saw the first post. I have had so many people say how do you turn on your grab bar or your grab bar is not lit ! This might have to be another project.

Janet Watson
2011 Itasca Sunova 37l
& the Great Danes
Sunova37L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

The stainless steel cap was glued and i did not need to remove it anyway. I pushed the light in toward the curve, pushed the excess wires in and padded it by stuffing a plastic bag in from behind. Still need to caulk the outside.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Finished product!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1423438755872.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	85608  
Old 02-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomo View Post
Finished product!
Looks great to me! Thanks for the answer on rather the end cap was glued on or not. Someone else above mentioned that they had put the light into a piece of 3/4" vinyl hose and then stuffed it into the end cap. Sounds like your solution works well also.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I just ordered the light for my 2008 Itasca Meridian. Which switch did you connect it to for the power?
KatieVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:48 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Connected to the little inside light next to the steps on the right side when exiting. That light comes on when the outside light is on and is on the same switch. So, when the outside light is on so is the grab bar.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:44 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieVL View Post
I just ordered the light for my 2008 Itasca Meridian. Which switch did you connect it to for the power?
Some folks like the handle lit by its self. White wires are grounds and yellow are power. If you use your own switch you can pick any of the available wires to do your job. I used the porch switch controlled wire and a white. My handle only lights when the porch light is on.

Rick Y
Old 02-14-2015, 07:42 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

I did the install today. It was easy cheesy. I love the lighted handle.
KatieVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieVL View Post
I did the install today. It was easy cheesy. I love the lighted handle.

Now, if only Winnebago would get the message that we LIKE this mod they might provide it again. It is not a bank buster for them.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Wild Bill,
Since we have the same model coaches, I am wondering how you routed the wiring on the inside wall. On my coach, the inside wall area opposite the handle mounts is exposed. That is, it is not covered by a cabinet box. How did you hide the wires? I am thinking of doing this mod but not wanting to see wires.
Thanks,
Gary
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghutch View Post
Wild Bill,
Since we have the same model coaches, I am wondering how you routed the wiring on the inside wall. On my coach, the inside wall area opposite the handle mounts is exposed. That is, it is not covered by a cabinet box. How did you hide the wires? I am thinking of doing this mod but not wanting to see wires.
Thanks,
Gary
Gary,
The steps on our MH have a courtesy light that comes on whenever the screen door is opened. I spliced into this circuit. I removed the plastic access cover on the inside wall for the door striker. Drilled an angled hole thru the aluminum wall stud. The ground wire was attached to the door frame. The power feed was tucked into the space behind the door frame, under the door sill and then thru the existing hole in step sidewall that already feeds power to the existing contact switch for the door. The courtesy light has a timer that will power off the circuit if the door remains open.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #34
Winnie-Wise

OK, Got mine done.

Got everything done and the lighted assist handle looks great!

I put a new switch in just for the assist handle light. So the assist handle light is independent of the porch/step-well lights. For power, I came off of a 12 v fuse in the fuse panel and for ground I used the ground on the little step-well light.

I located the new switch on the wall just below the inverter and just to the left of the fuse box cabinet.

The new switch, bezel and base I ordered from Winnebago Outdoor parts so it matches the other switches.

Lighting and Electrical : Auto and RV Replacement Parts : RV Parts : Winnebago Outdoor

"electrical switch"

For reinstalling the handle, I first filled the screw holes and wire hole with Dicor caulking and then I made new gaskets to go between the handle ends and the wall. I then sealed the gaskets on both sides with Permatex Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant. It turned out very well.

The following pictures are pretty well self explanatory, the new switch bezel is labeled "Accent".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0510.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	89069   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0525.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	89070  

Name:	DSCN0577.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	89071  
Old 03-21-2015, 06:59 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

aauummm . Great job. The install looks nice and clean. Made to be there. for you.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

You may already have a light in one or the other end cap just Burned Out

Two types of lamps were used,,Common incandasceant and LED...I suggest LED

The LED assembly consistes of a printed circuit board that fits in the handle (One or the other ene caps) a reflector (Like aflashlight) an LED and a 150 OhmResistor....Use a 450 ohm resistor or put 300-400 in series with it when you wire it in and the LED will last much, Much, Longer.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #37
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
aauummm . Great job. The install looks nice and clean. Made to be there. for you.
Thanks, man! It was fun doing it and I enjoy making the end result better than factory. As you had mentioned previously, if Winnebago had just done it in the factory it would have saved me a lot of time and effort. Leaving it out probably saved Winnebago all of $6-$7.

I took extra care on getting a good seal between the handle ends and the exterior sidewall. The original seal from the factory was not well made and there were signs of condensation and slight moisture intrusion, but no damage.

That connection is permanently exposed to the elements and there are electrical components in the interior behind the grab handle, so its pretty important to get a good, permanent waterproof seal.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #38
Winnie-Wise

Seal between the handle and MH sidewall

Here's a little bit more info on the gasket and seal that I used between the handle end and the MH sidewall. I got bulk gasket material and Permatex sealant from AutoZone. Any auto parts store will carry it.

I traced the handle end onto the gasket material and then cut it to size. The sealant was then applied to the handle end and both sides of the gasket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0592.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	89145   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0594.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	89146  

Old 05-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

2015 Adventurer

I bought the 86430LEDA bulb recommended above. I pulled my handle and directly behind the lower attachment for the handle is a floor accent light which comes on with the porch light switch. I direct wired it and no luck. Is this bulb I bought a 12v or 120v light? Any ideas?
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #40
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfreiberger View Post
I bought the 86430LEDA bulb recommended above. I pulled my handle and directly behind the lower attachment for the handle is a floor accent light which comes on with the porch light switch. I direct wired it and no luck. Is this bulb I bought a 12v or 120v light? Any ideas?
The 86430-LED is a 12 volt bulb. Not sure why connecting it to the floor accent light wouldn't work. I wired mine to it's own separate switch so mine is different than yours. Other guys did wire theirs to the floor accent light and it worked for them.