Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #1

Since I just drove a total of 1,350 miles, mostly at night, I discovered a 'new' question for forum members:

Is the headlight switch supposed to illuminate when the head lights are turned on? I had a semi flash me to tell me that it was okay to pull back into the right-lane and when I went to turn off and then on the lights to say 'thanks', I couldn't even tell where the switch was.

This picture was taken during the day; you can see that the other switches are illuminated, but not the headlight switch.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #2

Since I just drove a total of 1,350 miles, mostly at night, I discovered a 'new' question for forum members:

Is the headlight switch supposed to illuminate when the head lights are turned on? I had a semi flash me to tell me that it was okay to pull back into the right-lane and when I went to turn off and then on the lights to say 'thanks', I couldn't even tell where the switch was.

This picture was taken during the day; you can see that the other switches are illuminated, but not the headlight switch.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

No, no back light on my light switch everything else is....Looks good at night when I check the lights just to make sure they are working! Don't drive at night...

You can always use your directional light to signal thanks, after merging into the lane click 1 left 1 right....
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My workhorse has an ICC switch that is for the purpose of toggling the marker lights.

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

None of my switches are lighted. This has always been a peeve of mine. There is no good way to install a light on the dash to alleviate this problem.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:43 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Glow in the dark paint, labels, etc are available at JoAnn Fabrics and some hobby shops.

Post lights are available from auto parts stores and aircraft suppliers like this. Auto parts stores should be less than half the price of an aircraft store.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:12 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

That was one of my peeves when I had my Suncruiser. You really had to know where things were in the dark because nothing was lit or identified. When I moved to the Allegro Bus I found that the switches were illuminated and I was pretty happy.

Now, the good news for Winnebago owners:

The switches used by Winnebago are considered marine grade and are water resistant so that if they get splashed they won't short out. These were made by Cole-Hersee but I'm sure other suppliers make the same thing.

The switches used by Tiffin are made the same. They are interchangeable with the Winny switches. They have a small square frosted window in them that can be used to identify the switch. I've bought a few of these for custom mods and found that wiping a little carburetor/choke cleaner on them removes the lettering. Then I make a new label with clear tape and black letters and put it over the top and it looks like it came from the factory that way. This little window can be illuminated if you connect two terminals on the switch to the dash lights circuit. In addition, there is a small slit that lights whenever the switch is in the "on" position. These switches come in all different flavors, momentary contact, DPDT, SPST, you name it.

I've just gone to my Tiffin dealer and picked up a switch whenever I need one, then change the label to suit my needs. You could go to any Tiffin dealer and buy a switch that would replace your existing switch without any major modifications. Then you'd have illuminated switches. I imagine that there are electrical component suppliers that also have these but I never went through the trouble to find them online because my Tiffin dealer has them and they aren't that expensive.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

CRUZER" Great idea, will pay Tiffin a visit or see if perhaps available through their web site. When I run Atlanta in the wee hours of the morning, the present situation is a PIA. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r2dillon:
My workhorse has an ICC switch that is for the purpose of toggling the marker lights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I give up! What's an ICC switch?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Interstate Commerce Commision = ICC
Truckers use a switch they call their "ICC SWITCH" to flash their running lights as a "THANK YOU" to another trucker they just passed (usually at night) who turned his headlights off momemtarily and then back on to let the driver of the truck passing him know that he is far enough passed to pull back over to the right lane safely.

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

DonavonP, how does a post light work? I am not familiar with them. I went to the web site you provided but could not discern how they illumintate the switch. Thanks, SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

On the steering wheel of my Ultimate Advantage -- one on each side is a pressure switch. One flashes the headlights to let a trucker know he is past you and the one on the other side flashes the rear clearance lights as a thank you when a trucker flashes you that you are clear to return to the right lane. I am sure that this same thing can be wired into any MH -- just need the schematic to see which light to wire to the switch.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

The on-the-wheel switches are actually part of the SmartWheel system. The Smart Wheel controls the ICC and headlamp flashes as well as the wipers and cruise control. But, this wheel communicates with an under-dash mounted control module via 2 wires so each switch squawks a unique code to the module. They do this because the clockspring in the steering wheel only contains 4 wires (2 for illumination of the buttons). It's a cool setup but if you want to retrofit an ICC switch you'll have to mount an on-dash rocker switch.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SteveG:
DonavonP, how does a post light work? I am not familiar with them. I went to the web site you provided but could not discern how they illumintate the switch. Thanks, SteveG </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry about the delay. I was in the deep woods of NE Minnesota. Still have a lousy internet connection.

The post light mounts to the panel and sits out shining the light back down on the switch or instrument.

I'll try to find a better picture.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Donavon, for some reason I had a devil of a time finding a post light example on the web. Found plenty of lights sitting on a post in front of a house! But did finally find one. Here is a sample product. It looks they are manufactured in different styles.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #16
I helped | retired moderator

I believe motorhomes are restricted to 2 minute turns.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:31 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
Glow in the dark paint, labels, etc are available at JoAnn Fabrics and some hobby shops.

Post lights are available from auto parts stores and aircraft suppliers like this. Auto parts stores should be less than half the price of an aircraft store. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Walmart, toy/hobby section, I found 1/4 oc bottle of "Testors" model paint/'Flurorescent Green' for about $1. At Michaels - Arts and Crafts, I found "Glow In The Dark Paint Pen"($3.50). The paint pen says it 'glows super bright'. I'll try both on dash light switch and bath room switch.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:07 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I used a red LED bar wired to the parking ligths. Mounted the bar so that my console was illuminated. Worked great and red does not hurt your vision when night driving.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:31 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

PUBTYME: Please post back after you try the two "glow in the dark" items and let us know how it worked. This remains a big problem.