Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 01:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Leveling System

I am a recently retired veteran who is about to full-time RV. I have a 2017 31K. Looking for recommendations for a reliable, but reasonably priced leveling system. I am living off of my pension and disability. I have limited funds. Any advice is appreciated.
JamieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:15 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Leveling blocks are the cheapest your going to get. As far a automated I only have experience with HWH - 4K for my View (26 actual length), your rig is longer but I'm sure they have a system that works for you around that price. Worth giving them a call. They are located in Moscow, Iowa but there are a installers around the country.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
Itasca Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieD View Post
I am a recently retired veteran who is about to full-time RV. I have a 2017 31K. Looking for recommendations for a reliable, but reasonably priced leveling system. I am living off of my pension and disability. I have limited funds. Any advice is appreciated.
Leveling blocks are fine and that is all we have used for 10+ years in 3 different RV's. You get to learn pretty quickly how many you will need where, just by looking at the bubble levels. The simpler you keep things, the more time you have to enjoy life and the less time you will need to work on stuff.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

If you plan on using blocks, there is a relatively inexpensive ($140) system called the LevelMate Pro that can, once it is installed and calibrated, can tell you via your smartphone, in inches, how far out of level you are on all four corners. Get out the blocks you need, put them under the wheels that need leveling, and pull up on them. You are done and your $4000 dollars can be spent on other things.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The LevelMate sound like a good option to me.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Jamie--thank you for your service and welcome to the forum. As others have suggested, the leveling blocks are an easy and effective method for leveling. The stacking plastic blocks are lightweight and easy to carry; you just have to practice driving up on them.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Jamie, as has been stated leveling blocks can be used and I did use them on a 33 ft vectra, but sence getting into a 36 ft journey and now a 42 ft tour I would not give up the auto had leveling that came with those units. If one corner sinks they can be adjusted easily. Have had two different brands and they need to be speced for you couch and weight.
Matterbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the good advice. I do have the leveling blocks, but it is a pain when you are doing it yourself. I bought some scissor jacks and stabilizing jacks. We will see.
JamieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #9

Not difficult or a pain at all to use blocks, boards etc. to level your RV alone. I do it almost daily. Auto systems are costly and expensive.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

hydraulic levelers

I installed The Equalizer Jack system on my Ford Chassis Motorhome. Equalizer mailed the kit to me and I paid a welder to weld the jack pads on the frame. The rest of the installation was fairly easy. A push of the button and my coach levels itself.

https://equalizersystems.com
Old 06-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

As I understand, leveling systems are quite expensive and seem to be prone to have various kinds of problems. Leveling blocks certainly aren't exactly "convenient" to use but they are relatively inexpensive. I'm a retired vet too and recently acquired a motorhome. I think you'll love the RVing lifestyle!
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
If you plan on using blocks, there is a relatively inexpensive ($140) system called the LevelMate Pro that can, once it is installed and calibrated, can tell you via your smartphone, in inches, how far out of level you are on all four corners. Get out the blocks you need, put them under the wheels that need leveling, and pull up on them. You are done and your $4000 dollars can be spent on other things.
We use the LevelMate Pro on our 20112 Winnebago View 24K and it has saved us a lot of time getting our Lynx Levelers stacks correct the first time... and helped us find the "sweet spot" on irregular campsites where our leveling will take the least amount of levelers... or none at all! Typically we move our RV around the campsite to find the "sweet spot", build the Lynx Leveler stacks right next to the wheels they're going under, then back up or pull forward to push the levelers into place, and simply drive on (preferably downhill onto the levelers). We have 4 bags of 10 (each) Lynx Levelers, 4 Lynx caps, and 2 Lynx stops. All this adds VERY little weight and are inexpensive vs. HWH hydraulic levelers.

Highly recommended.

Also we use cheap ~ 18" lone pieces of 1" ID foam pipe insulation to align the two parallel stacks of our Lynx Levelers on our rear dually tires.
BrokerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

JamieD,

We own a Class A Winnebago Motorhome that had the Level Best jack system and it started leaking and we decided to replace it just this month. The old jacks were 3000 lbs each and the rig weighs 18,000.

We researched and found the Big Foot leveling system through Quadra Systems in White Pigeon, MI which was convenient because we live in MI. We purchased this system. The jacks hold 8000 lbs each.

We plan to spend 6 months of the year and or more in our rig and were constantly fighting to get the rig level with the old system and then it would loose fluid and we would experience movement again.

We tried scissor jacks and it helped somewhat but we weren't happy with the results.

The system installed with them removing the old system was just under $3,900. I know this is beyond your budget right now but what is wrong with your 2017 system? Why do you need something else? What rig specifically and why is your jack system not holding?

We bought our rig used and the previous owner never filled the transmission fluid tank. When we first used the system and there was an issue with one or the other not working well we checked this and found it at less than half full. We filled it up and it helped a lot.

Maybe check this and see if it helps. Good luck and thank you for your service. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I am about to order a set of Beech Lane levelers from Amazon. They are a curved ramp-style that you drive onto and they automatically raise the tire anywhere from one-half to four inches as you roll forward. Apparently, they don’t break after a few uses, as the Anderson 3604 is reported to do. And they have a lifetime warranty. Looks easy to level one or two front tires, but not sure if raising the duals will work that easily. Once raised, a simple chock (included) locks the leveler in position. Cost is about $70 a pair.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #15
Itasca Traveler

Horse-stable Mat

Quote:
For leveling blocks I cut up a 4'x6'x 3/4" horse-stable mat available at Tractor Supply. They are manufactured from recycle tires and for $40 you will have more than enough 12"x8" pieces. They are indestructible, light weight and they stack nice. I use them under my RV tires and leveling jacks but they come in handy for many other things around the campsite as well. They keep my trailer jack and tires from sinking in the mud, they insulate my Hughes-former from ground and rain water, under the entrance step support pedestal, I have used them to level a bad patio area under the patio mat to prevent twisting my ankle.
I'm retired Army, October 1997. Thanks for your service!
GaHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormD View Post
I am about to order a set of Beech Lane levelers from Amazon. They are a curved ramp-style that you drive onto and they automatically raise the tire anywhere from one-half to four inches as you roll forward. Apparently, they don’t break after a few uses, as the Anderson 3604 is reported to do. And they have a lifetime warranty. Looks easy to level one or two front tires, but not sure if raising the duals will work that easily. Once raised, a simple chock (included) locks the leveler in position. Cost is about $70 a pair.
Don't park on any asphalt!!!
H20SKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:27 AM   #17
Itasca Owners

I thought I might share our leveling method.

To start with, I leveled the coach using a 4 foot long spirit level. We used the fridge as the baseline since that is the critical item to have level. Next I located two spirit levels with graduated markers (one for side and one for front to back) where they can be seen from the drivers seat.
When we move into a site, I give it a once over to see where it looks level and where the bumps and depressions might be. When I back in, I check the levels to see how close we are. Most of the time, I can get within a degree just by moving forward or back a little. If we cant quite get there, I park in the spot I want and then get the lynx blocks out. I stack them next to the wheel where I want them and then move forward or back until even with the first block in the stack. Then we slide the blocks in place and pull up on them.
You will learn pretty quickly how many blocks it takes to move the bubble by one graduation mark. Usually one block on side to side, but two or more for front to back. (The longer your coach, the more blocks you will need).
Having the levels inside where the driver can see them also helps a lot in parking lots when we stop for supplies. Usually there are enough places available that you can move to another if you are out of tolerance.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote