Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have to use spacers under the front jacks on my 2005 Vectra 40AD to level the coach without getting the excessive slope signal.
I had the coach checked by a aurthorized HWH shop and found that the maxium lift on the current 13in. strike cyclinders is 4in. Not much to try to level a 40Ft. coach.
They check the leveling sensor and it was dead on.
Per HWH the 4in. is in the mid range of the spec.
Has anyone else had this problems
SMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have to use spacers under the front jacks on my 2005 Vectra 40AD to level the coach without getting the excessive slope signal.
I had the coach checked by a aurthorized HWH shop and found that the maxium lift on the current 13in. strike cyclinders is 4in. Not much to try to level a 40Ft. coach.
They check the leveling sensor and it was dead on.
Per HWH the 4in. is in the mid range of the spec.
Has anyone else had this problems
Old 12-05-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Put additional blocks under the jacks. For example, adding 4 inches of blocks and you will have 8 inches of travel. Put the extra blocks on the low side where you need them.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I think your HWH shop has been smoking some funny cigarettes. Your jacks should almost be able to lift your tires off the ground with the bags deflated. Your jacks should have the capability to extend 13"

Do you have the automatic or manual level control? If you have the automatic control what happens when you manually extend the jacks?

Again, if you have the automatic leveling system there is a simple check to see if it is adjusted properly. Get yourself a 12" spirit level. Manually level the coach to whatever surface you like - I used the top of the stove (put the level on top of the stove running fore and aft and side to side.) If you have any yellow lights lit on the control pad (indicating a not level situation) your level sensor in the control box is not adjusted properly.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

John,
The leveling sensor is dead on. The full 13inches of stroke is used. The issue is with the air dumped from the bags, the distance form the jack to the ground is 9 inches. Thus 9 inches of cyclinder stroke is used before the jack touches the ground leaving only 4 inches to level,
Old 12-06-2005, 07:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Are you inferring he is not dumping his air before leveling with the auto jacks???
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Are you inferring he is not dumping his air before leveling with the auto jacks??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually I wasn't Tom - I was just describing the leveling process. Wasn't important to the issue.

I just took a tape measure to my extended jack and what do you know - I have 9" of jack extended on a reasonably level concrete pad.

When my level sensor was out of adjustment, I actually had the rear jacks lift the duals off the ground enough for the coach to scoot sideways a couple of inches - scared the #*(&# out of me.

If you are trying to level on too much of a slope, you will need blocks as targaboat recommended. I made mine out of 3/4" plywood and 2x4s turned sideways to form a 'sandwich.' I don't need them very often - very seldom do I get an excess slope light on the panel.

It appears that your levellng system is operating normally!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The first week I owned my coach I stayed at Stone Mountain in Atlanta. The sites there are not very level. I would get the excessive slope light would and the rear tires were starting to come off the ground.

I ended up having to buy leveling blocks and drove on to them. I also had to put blocks under the jacks. I didn't measure the length of the jack at the point where the tires started to come off the ground.