Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Leveling jack lubrication

What lubrication needs to done to the leveling jacks on my motorhome? They are fine now but I try to take of these things before problems occur.

Thanks to all....
buzzyb
buzzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You don't mention what brand jacks you have.

HWH recommends only a squirt of WD-40 once in a while to clean the cylinders. Doesn't recommend any kind of oil or silicone, as it may affect the seals in the jacks.

I give my HWH jacks a squirt of WD40 when they are running a little slow, or about 2X/year, and it seems to work wonders on them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yep.... A couple years ago we were at HWH for a shuttle valve problem. On the mechanic's tool cart was a can of WD-40. He said that's what they use.

Frank F.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

X3 on WD40.

I usually spray it on and wipe it off with a lint free cloth. I also clean off any debris which might have accumulated on the pads since the added weight of rocks, dirt, mud, etc can cause slow retract.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My Power Gear jacks have lube points which get lubed with light weight lithium grease. The rods get silicone as per instructions in the manual.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

PowerGear/Kwikee states silicone on the extended piston. It is good to wipe them down as a maintenance item and frequently if traveling in dusty areas.

Now, since when the piston retracts and is immersed in Dexon III, I find it just as easy to open the top of the Dexron III transmission quart bottle, dab a little on a cloth and wipe the piston down. Just a little dab will do ya, and I follow up with a light dry cloth wipe down.

Now here is an invention I have been thinking about - and anyone that patents it owes me.

You know those "grab" extenders that people in wheelchairs use? Well configure the end with a piston fitting grabber with soft cloth. Dab a little silicon or Dexron III on the cloth, extend it under the motorhome, grab the piston and wipe it down. No more crawling on your back.

Don't forget - you owe me.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I must have the same manual as njs42. I grease the lube points on each jack and wipe them down with silicone spray. I do this twice a year and have had no problems yet.
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have the same manual as LEHAFR . . . .no where does it say WD40 for ANY use in a MH. The stuff is for folks who watch too much TV and actually believe what they are fed. If you have a can of Wd40, the best thing you can do for your rig is to toss it.....Immediately. Look closely at your jacks . . .do they have zerx fittings? (if you do not know what that is, ask your local neighborhood RV store.) If there are zerx, check your factory manual (RTFM) or call HWH and see what type of wipe down and grease they recommend and how often. I can assure you that no one on this or any other forum known as much nor more about HWH jacks than HWH themselves.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

PowerGear/Kwikee manual for Kwikee jacks specifically states to NOT use WD-40 as it can damage the seals.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

According to HWH WD-40 is fine. You will eventually require lube on your jacks to get them to retract.
I've used dry silicone which works but have changed in the last year to Corrosion-X...this stuff is gold and deserves to be on your jacks,locks,batteries,hinges,electrical harness connections,any hard to reach rust spots under your coach (we all know Winni has none of these rotf) etc etc.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling