Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Leveling jack goes down when it should go up

I have a 2013 Vista 27n. After 5 weeks waiting for repairs at Camping World to replace a leveling jack, hydraulic pump and a hose due to leaks, I find I have a new problem the minute I picked up my rig. Before the repair, when using the manual leveling, the panel would indicate with a light which side was lower i.e. front, back, left or right. I would then push the associated lit button to raise the applicable section and level the coach. Front and back is still working. However, the light will indicate the correct left or right side to raise, but actually lowers the jack rather than raising it. I'm taking it back to CW but they will probably deny that they did anything that would affect the inside panel. Any thoughts on what is going on?

Mike
TravelinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The control solenoids are mounted to my pump. If yours is like mine they may have mis-wired the solenoids when they replaced the pump. They should stand behind the repair.
1995 Warrior (former)
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

TravelinMike, your coach has the double acting cylinders, pressure down and pressure up. They may have got the hoses crossed on the cylinder they replaced.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

what leveling system do you have?
like larry says, there has to be either wires or hoses crossed. download a service manual for your system, and use it to help diagnose the problem.
whether its a hwh system, or some other brand, let me know if i can help you. ive worked on all the different brands, so i can lend a hand, if you want.
1-602-549-3638 paul maddox
i do work for hwh. i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It just keeps getting better - not

So, I took the rig back to camping world. The technician agreed it seem like the whole system was messed up. At least it acted up when I was there. The tech took it back and did the level zero point calibration. It still seem to be messed up but after a few tries seem to be working correctly. So took it out today for a test run and of course there are problems. Even though the level zero was reset it doesn't seem to be correct. And now if I do level front to back and I try to extend the left jacks the left front jack extends but the left rear just comes off the ground so obviously isn't extending. I'm sitting at the campsite now waiting for camping world to call back. I'm hoping there may be something I can do myself to fix this. I could do the level zero calibration if I could get the coach level but it won't level without that left back jack or at least it doesn't indicate it's getting level as the panel doesn't indicate any change in the left right percentage.

Mike
Old 06-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Diagnosis

Well, Camping World never called back but with some persistence I finally got to talk to the technician. I explained that the left rear jack only extended when using the "back" levelers and not the "left" levelers. He now says that I need the whole inside level control panel replaced. I'm not technical so my question out to you guys that are - could this new problem with the leveling system be caused by the replacement of a front jack and hydraulic pump? It worked fine before it went in for these repairs and, could be a coincidence, but now requires I have this new problem. I'm a bit hesitant to have CW do more work in case it comes back more broken than ever.

Mike
Old 06-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Sure hope you followed your gut instinct and didn't take your rig back to CW. They have now, and have had for as long as I've been RV'ing, a BAD service reputation.

Do yourself a favor and never go back there for any service or installations of any kind. Your issue is a prime example of what happens there. They have no idea what they're doing most of the time and just throw parts at problems, usually after they've broken something.

Forget the money you've paid them, unless you want to sue, and go to someone reputable. Find them here: RVServiceReviews

These are reports by fellow RV'ers about shops in your chosen area. Sometimes whole areas have to be marked off your list so you should be prepared to travel.

Good luck!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:48 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Your system has an "on-off" valve for each jack, but only one reversing valve for the whole system, all four jacks, if that makes sense to you.

So when the pump is operating, it is either in the up or down mode, depending on whether you have push the retract button. Then you can control each pair of jacks with its "on-off" switch.

What I am trying to say, poorly, is that there is no physical way for one jack to be going down, and one jack to be going up at the same time.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

What happens when you try auto leveling?
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

maybe the jack isnt moving at all. just that the other jack moves the coach in a way that lifts the coach high enough to raise the whole chassis.
its unusual to have that rigid a chassis, but ive seen it on commercial trucks with leveling systems. all jacks should touch the ground when the coach finishes leveling.
try this, go outside and have someone else operate the system. watch the offending jack and see if it physically moves.
does your system have a stabilize mode? does it put that jack back down before it shuts off.
if not, download a service manual, and review it. if you let me know what system you have, maybe i can help. ive worked on all the leveling systems over the last 40 years.
please feel free to call me at 602-549-3638 paul maddox hwh rep.
i do not sell product, parts, or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Have you considered taking your coach back to Forest City? Their techs are much better than CW, and they have a representative from most of the major suppliers on site. Plus you talk to the tech that's working on it, not just a service writer.

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40 TD
2015 Equinox
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I don't know where you live but it may be an option for you to go to HWH factory in Moscow, IA, to get the problem fixed. If it's a wash whether to go to Winnebago factory or HWH, labor rates at HWH as of mid-May are $90/hr.

Tags
leveling