Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

leveler maintenance...

Is there any maintenance required for Kwikee levelers? I recall that a post said to lube them. I can't find anything about maintenance in the manual.

There are no springs on my levelers, yet when I walk through the campground everyone has springs. I haven't seen another model coach like mine so I don't know if not having springs is normal. Joe
Old 04-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
rca
Winnebago Camper

If I'm parked for a long time or there is a rain that splashes sand or dirt onto the leveler rams, I clean them off before retracting them. I use silicone spray on a clean, dry cloth to wipe them down.
We don't have those HWH type return springs because our Kwickee system is hydraulic power out / power in. I replaced 2 of the HWH jacks on my 02 Brave because they wouldn't return properly. So far....no trouble with the Kwickee system but I level the coach manually instead of using the "auto" feature which seems to take longer.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks rca, the next time out I will silicone the rams. Joe
Old 04-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Since the pump Dexron III + transmission fluid, I keep some in a bay. Once n a while I will put a little on a rag and wipe down the piston. I figure if it's good enough for the pump, it's good enough to wipe down the piston. I little dab on a rag will go a long way.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I may be way off on this, (often the case) but I seem to remember the Kwikee guys at GNR saying to NOT use silicon on the rams. Something about dust and dirt sticking to it and wearing out the seals.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Indy.. I kind of wonder.. The jacks on my coach are power gear, Which I think MIGHT be the same now as Kwikee. (NOT sure) and the instructions specifically say to use Silicon... Now Silicon lubricants do not mix well with other lubricants so I kind of wonder why they said this.. But they do.

That said... To the original poster.. Go to the company web site and download the maintenance manual for your product.. (That is way easier than digging out and digging through the paper manuals)

With my power gear I keep a quart of Dextron III tranny fluid (The hydraulic fulid they use) handy, as well as that spray can of Silicon.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

In the maintenance section of the manual there is no mention of doing anything to the rams. I can't find any notes or hand outs from GNR. So if lubing the rams makes you feel better, go for it.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote