Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hello, I just re-installed batteries in my '05 Journey in preparation for a trip next week. While everything seemed OK at first, I realized I have no power to the levelers or the slides. Several weeks ago, I pulled the batteries because they were low enough that I had to use the override to start the engine. At that time, the levelers began to deploy without my activating them. I realized then that I could not get power to the panel and thought it may be a result of very low voltage on the batteries. When I shut the engine down, they retracted. Now, the batteries are fully charged and I have no power to the control panel and no response when I try to operate the slide? Is there a single fuse or breaker that is common to both systems?

I will begin looking through the manuals but thought I may get some help here as well.

Thanks in advance.

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hello, I just re-installed batteries in my '05 Journey in preparation for a trip next week. While everything seemed OK at first, I realized I have no power to the levelers or the slides. Several weeks ago, I pulled the batteries because they were low enough that I had to use the override to start the engine. At that time, the levelers began to deploy without my activating them. I realized then that I could not get power to the panel and thought it may be a result of very low voltage on the batteries. When I shut the engine down, they retracted. Now, the batteries are fully charged and I have no power to the control panel and no response when I try to operate the slide? Is there a single fuse or breaker that is common to both systems?

I will begin looking through the manuals but thought I may get some help here as well.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Bugslayer ...

I have an '04 39W Journey ... soon after delivery my jack pad started having gremlins ... it was still under warranty so I took it to a dealer ...

They removed the cupholder (driver's) and found there was a loose connection to the leveler control.

The problem went away ...

As I recall you only have to remove one or two screws to get the "black" cupholder out of the "tan" side panel ...

You might give HWH a phone call tomorrow ... they are generally very helpful
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Skigramp, Thanks for the suggestion. I will be calling HWH today and I may be removing the cup holder tonight!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

OK, I spoke to HWH today and they suggest the fuse in the control module. Does anyone have an idea where this module might be on an '05 Journey 39 K?

Thanks,

Old 10-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Russ ..

Here are the manuals for Winnebagos ..

Winnebago HWH manuals

I think the Control Module may be located on the front of your pump ... that is where mine is ... the top of the pump is accessible by unbolting a step ... but you have to crawl underneath on mine to see the control module.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

don't forget the obvious such as parking brake being depressed.
livingaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Skigramp, Thanks for the link to the HWH manuals. Unfortunately it got uglier today as I went out to the coach and tried to determine the bounds of the problem and, by doing so I thought I may be able to figure out the failed part. I started the engine and began by checking to be sure all the slides did not work. I pressed on the right front slide control to bring it in (it was already in but I just wanted to know if the pump would run). It ran alright but it started the levelers and would not stop running. Cutting the power and switching off the house batteries did not stop the pump motor. In fact it only finally stopped when the the unit started smoking! Clearly something expensive has burnt up because there was sufficient smoke coming out of the right front wheel well that I pulled the fire extinguisher and waited for flames to show. Fortunately that did not happen. I did find the control module and saw that it was still lit, clearly showing a number of red lights. I ended up calling the dealer and speaking to the service manager who talked me through disconnecting and insulating the main power to the pump so that I will be able to drive it to the dealer's shop (hard to drive when the levelers deploy every time you start the engine). It was not a pretty afternoon and now that the 'magic smoke' has been released, I fear it will be expensive. Oh well, next weeks trip is on hold as they cannot get me in to the dealers till 10/29. The good news is that as of 10/31 I will be retired so I will have some time after to get the wife and dogs loaded up and take a short trip!

Old 10-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Sounds like it started simple like the pump relay sticking but now the punp is gone and who knows what else.
midflalpinetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Clearly a failed pump relay is a major component but I am not sure what caused the control panel to be without power and just as unsure as to why the levelers deploy when the engine starts (sometimes) or when I activate a slide control?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BugSlayer:
... Cutting the power and switching off the house batteries did not stop the pump motor... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Presumably the jacks/slides are actually powered off the chassis rather than house batteries. That's the way they're setup on my '05 Vectra.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote