Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

While at home, the MH is parked in the drive-way, and I usually leave my slides out so I can get around easier inside the rig. Lately, I've been seeing posts about slide problems, and now I'm wondering if leaving them out might damage the slide apparatus? Is there any problem with leaving them partially extended rather than fully extended and tipped up into locking position? Can the weight of the slide cause any sag problems over time? I don't think it's a big deal, but I've seen where some folks have used braces, like 2x6's and plywood to help with this, so I'm curious. I searched slide topics and found nothing on this. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

While at home, the MH is parked in the drive-way, and I usually leave my slides out so I can get around easier inside the rig. Lately, I've been seeing posts about slide problems, and now I'm wondering if leaving them out might damage the slide apparatus? Is there any problem with leaving them partially extended rather than fully extended and tipped up into locking position? Can the weight of the slide cause any sag problems over time? I don't think it's a big deal, but I've seen where some folks have used braces, like 2x6's and plywood to help with this, so I'm curious. I searched slide topics and found nothing on this. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The way Winnebago builds the slide mechanism there shouldn't be any problem leaving slides out. However, I think I would go full out rather than partial. It may not be there any more, but at one time Winnebago specifically stated NOT to put braces under the slides.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
Duncan the Dalmation
03 Ultimate Advantage
02 Saturn L100 Toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We, as well as all the other owners in the park we live in, always leave the slides fully extended, all the time they are parked. Never heard of anybody with a problem. HWH says not to brace the slides. Take a look at the notes John Canfield did from the meeting at the GNR. Great job from John.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I do know that HWH advises against leaving slides partially in/out. The slides seal when either in or out and if deployed halfway, leaks may more likely occur.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We learned over the past weekend that if you leave a slide partially extended that insects can (and do) enter the rig when the lights are on at night ... they find their way underneath the topper, underneath the roof, above the slideout ... and then proceed to annoy you ... pesky little critters ....
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if you leave a slide partially extended that insects can (and do) enter the rig </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In addition, extending or retracting slides partially can cause "creeping" when the slide is later fully extended or retracted. We have been advised by Coach-Net AND HWH techs to never retract or extend part way -- always go fully out or fully in and continue holding the button down for apx 3-5 seconds after the slide stops moving.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Having acquired a like-new 07 Vista, this topic was of interest to me. Currently on a 5 month national trip, I put the slides out and leave them that way.

By the way, on the inside of the rig, I checked today and found the inside molding and seal behind it doesn't go all the way to the interior wall. There's about a 4" gap. Is this normal or should I have a Winnebago person correct this?

Any reply would be appreciated.

Phil
Old 07-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I spend the winter down south and leave my slides out for 6 months...Never a problem on a 2002 Horizon....
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pyoots:
-snip-By the way, on the inside of the rig, I checked today and found the inside molding and seal behind it doesn't go all the way to the interior wall. There's about a 4" gap. Is this normal or should I have a Winnebago person correct this?-snip- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We're a little off-topic here, so forgiveness requested...

The inside rubber gasket on both of my street-side slides mate nicely with the inside frame. Call Winnebago and ask them if this is a normal situation for your coach.

Back on-topic...

Everybody gave spot-on advice about why not to leave slides partially extended.

Paul Smith in his HWH seminar said it is okay to partially extend then retract the bedroom slide. The typical scenario is you need to access a clothes drawer because the weather which was cold when you left the campground, is now 101 degrees and you need a pair of shorts

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I am convinced. Thanks to all for some fine advice
Old 08-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pyoots:
-snip-By the way, on the inside of the rig, I checked today and found the inside molding and seal behind it doesn't go all the way to the interior wall. There's about a 4" gap. Is this normal or should I have a Winnebago person correct this?-snip- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We're a little off-topic here, so forgiveness requested...

The inside rubber gasket on both of my street-side slides mate nicely with the inside frame. Call Winnebago and ask them if this is a normal situation for your coach.

Back on-topic...

Everybody gave spot-on advice about why not to leave slides partially extended.

Paul Smith in his HWH seminar said it is okay to partially extend then retract the bedroom slide. The typical scenario is you need to access a clothes drawer because the weather which was cold when you left the campground, is now 101 degrees and you need a pair of shorts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
GEES you full timers have all the luck, we've never had that trouble? If we leave when it is cold, it is still cold when we park. Or hot etc.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Travel in the Southwest some and you'll see what I mean - cold in the early morning and 100 degrees in the afternoon

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote