Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

This December the windshield of our 2005 Itasca started leaking considerably. (quarts per rainstorm). I started catching it in a bucket under the center of the passenger's side dashboard.

I took the coach to Campers Inn of Raynham MA where a sealtech was performed and confirmed the leak to be the windshield on both sides, and then we moved it to their big facility in Merimack NH.

They found that the windshield was not properly sealed along the top during installation. I purchased the coach used in August. the service tech wondered why it had not leaked before now. My guess is that this coach never saw the cold and freeze thaw cylces of the northeast. I had a feeling when I was winterizing that it had never been done before.

Well the good news is that it is fixed and Winnebago agreed to pick up the cost of the test and resealing.

The Campers Inn staff was top notch and forwarded pictures to Winnebago and did all the leg work. They were a pleasure to deal with.

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

This December the windshield of our 2005 Itasca started leaking considerably. (quarts per rainstorm). I started catching it in a bucket under the center of the passenger's side dashboard.

I took the coach to Campers Inn of Raynham MA where a sealtech was performed and confirmed the leak to be the windshield on both sides, and then we moved it to their big facility in Merimack NH.

They found that the windshield was not properly sealed along the top during installation. I purchased the coach used in August. the service tech wondered why it had not leaked before now. My guess is that this coach never saw the cold and freeze thaw cylces of the northeast. I had a feeling when I was winterizing that it had never been done before.

Well the good news is that it is fixed and Winnebago agreed to pick up the cost of the test and resealing.

The Campers Inn staff was top notch and forwarded pictures to Winnebago and did all the leg work. They were a pleasure to deal with.

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
Old 02-26-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

LeonB;

Thanks for your report. It is always a good feeling when things come together like they should. Winnebago deserves a big hand.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 AM   #4

Good to hear GOOD DEALER reports.

Not all Winnies need to take a trip back to the factory if you can find good Dealer Service.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Good news for you, Lee and GOOD for Winnebago!!

Our traveling friends also just had a very good leak after a whooper of a Florida rainstorm. They took it to Suncoast in Jacksonville and Suncoast (tech was Nick) did a great job finding it (2 marker lights were leaking) and sealing them. Know it worked cause we are once again having a very rainy day. Their 2007 Itasca Sunrise was out of warranty and Winnebago did ok warranty repair of this.

Thanks Winnebago for our great coaches and standing by us all!!
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Glad to hear about the Happy ending. would you mind sharing about how much the cost would have been. I have developed the same issue with my 01 Adventurer. I was just going to take it to a windshield place but, now I may jsut take it up to Campers Inn after hearing how good the did.

Bill

01 adventurer 35U
tun75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Oops,

I may have spoken too soon. It rained last night and it is still leaking. Not as much but still needs attention.

I'm now debating tryinjg to seal it myself or bringing it back to NH which is a good 3 hr round trip.....I believe they used urethene sealant on the exterior of the windshield track.

If you do go there have them leak test the fix.

As far as cost goes, the sealtech test is $100. and tech time is $99 per hour. I don't think the cost was more than $200-$300 but I didn't get the number. So far it hasn't cost me anything but I would gladly have paid for a fix.......

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Leon, if it is actually the windshield-to-frame bedding/sealant that is leaking, due to improper installation, then the only way to fix it right is to have the glass removed, cleaned, frame cleaned, and re-installed with the proper bedding compound.

Winnebago windshields are installed the same was as your car or truck; e.g., set in bedding sealant that, when cured, holds the glass in and seals it completely around the perimeter. If that was not doen initially, it needs to be done as if the windshield was being replaced.

Other places that may be leaking are the marker light housings, or some problem with to front cap, where it joins the main roof.

Let us know the final fix? Add best of luck to you.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote