Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
TJM
Winnebago Camper

Leaky HWH Jack

I have searched the forum; but have not seen the answer to my problem. My right front jack is leaking at the seal. I do not mean at the metal screw-type sensor or at the hydraulic line, but at the seal. What is the problem? Can I continue to use the jack; or should I continue my travels "jack-less"? We have appointments and reservations through the end of the month. We continue traveling today and will be at the FMCA convention in Bowling Green in a week. NO time to get to a dealer. Yes, I phoned HWH yesterday afternoon when I noticed the leak. Got no call back; so won't hear from them until Monday or Tuesday, I am sure. Hence the reason for my questions. Thanks.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would continue with your trip just carry some HWH fluid to top off reserve tank before dropping jacks. You could try some silicone spray on piston that may clean seal or swell it up to slow leak before moving jacks up.
Make sure the hose connection at top of jack is not loose fluid will drop down jack into jack pad and its not coming out of seal that piston travels through.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

While at the fmca convention check to see if HWH has a booth. Vendors sometimes provide assistance to owners that are experincing problems with their products.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you don't have any luck while in Bowling Green, there is an authorized repair shop in Toledo. Smitties 419-478-1309 they repaired mine in May.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
TJM
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all. Tonight and tomorrow night we will get by with no jacks down. Will try to find a place in the Cleveland area on Monday that has HWH fluid. If not, we will wait until the FMCA Convention to get the fluid. If I don't dump the air, the motorhome is pretty stable. Also thanks for the Toledo repair place name. I doubt that HWH will make this type repair at the rally; so that will be necessary. Thanks again to all of you.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
If you don't have any luck while in Bowling Green, there is an authorized repair shop in Toledo. Smitties 419-478-1309 they repaired mine in May.
red atf dexron 3 or equivalent will work fine.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Usually a seal leak means time for a rebuilt jack. HWH can do this on an exchange basis or at least has recently.

Most leaks are from the fitting above where hose enters, and just require tightening, but it sounds like you have ruled that out.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I've had a similar problem with my right rear jack. If I use the jack and remain on the jack for a week or more it leaks from the seal. I've found the cycling the jack a few times seems to re-set the seal. Had the leak this spring, but after using it on a long trip it is now working trouble free. When I contacted HWH I was told that the jack would have to be replaced. The did not offer any rebuilt jacks, only new ones at the time.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
TJM
Winnebago Camper

HWH will be at the FMCA convention here in Bowling Green. They finally phoned back yesterday. They said they would be able to put on a new jack at the rally. Got the dextron 3 fluid and filled the reservoir. Am going jack free for the time being, until we get it repaired though. The problem jack lost so much fluid that it came part way up yesterday. Hope HWH gets our problem solved.

Thanks all for your help.