Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Leaks underneath my Winnebago

I don't why it's leaking, I dumped all of my waste and sewer water, and it's still leaking. Can someone tell my what the cause of this might be?

Here's a link to show you what I'm talking about.

Winnabango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

What model and year would help. First thing I think of is the fresh water tank, the water heater, water pump, and all the hoses and fittings between them.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpowered View Post
What model and year would help. First thing I think of is the fresh water tank, the water heater, water pump, and all the hoses and fittings between them.
The model is an Elandan 1990. The fresh water tank is empty, and the water heater isn't hooked up, as for the water pump, well I'm running off of a waterline, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. I don't think there's any hoses in there, as you saw in the vid, it goes strait down from the shower room.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The note in your video says it only happens when you run water in your shower .... so I would try to figure out if it is in the supply plumbing of your shower as compared to the drain plumbing ...

I would put a 5 gallon bucket in the shower and catch the water from the shower head in the bucket ... it you still have the leak then there is a problem in the supply plumbing ... otherwise the leak is in the drainage plumbing ... that should cut the possibilities in half ...

If it is in the supply then I would run cold only in the shower ... then hot only to try to narrow it down further ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
The note in your video says it only happens when you run water in your shower .... so I would try to figure out if it is in the supply plumbing of your shower as compared to the drain plumbing ...

I would put a 5 gallon bucket in the shower and catch the water from the shower head in the bucket ... it you still have the leak then there is a problem in the supply plumbing ... otherwise the leak is in the drainage plumbing ... that should cut the possibilities in half ...

If it is in the supply then I would run cold only in the shower ... then hot only to try to narrow it down further ...
Well the problem is not so much of the shower head itself, it's more on the shower faucet,. Sometimes it won't turn off, so I have to turn off the waterline outside. I don't have hot water to my home yet. It runs on propane. But I think you might be right, the problem may be in the draining pluming.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

...Or it could be that the piping in the faucet itself could be leaking... you think?
Old 05-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I just went through this problem. I also had water running out from under the coach and into the tow compartments either side of the rear axle. It also only happened when the shower was used.

The problem for me was a cracked plastic fitting that the shower head pipe screwed to. Because we couldn't find an exact replacement a new supply pipe was installed at the shower valve up to the shower head with a new brass fitting replacing the cracked plastic one. This was all accessed by removing the shower valve trim and a rectangular plastic trim piece at the shower neck pipe goes through the stall wall. I was lucky that this hadn't been an on going problem as there was no apparent flooring or wall damage.

I hope this gives you some direction as to solving your situation.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

A sure way to eliminate the shower drain would be to take a five gallon bucket of water and add food coloring to it. Dump the bucket into the shower drain and see if it shows up the color on the ground. If not then as others have mentioned, start with connectors. Good luck.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post

I agree that this would certainly cut the possibilities in half. If it still shows leaks then it must be in the supply pipe to the faucet or shower head. Looks like you've gotten some good advice from others. Best of luck! Always glad to see a Winnebago owner on here.
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

WINNABANGO - did you find out what was causing the dripping? Just curious.
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapml View Post
WINNABANGO - did you find out what was causing the dripping? Just curious.

Actually yes. It turns out that it was the drain pipe after all. First I had to eliminate all the possibilities of the faucet pipes. I managed to pull out the face of the faucet and see if the pipes that are connected to it would leak, so I turned the water on, (with the drain plug of cores) and nothing happened. Then I turned the water off and drain the water that was in the shower tub, and then it did exactly the same thing it did before. So now at least I know what the problem is.

It is the drain pipe. Now how am I going to get in there and fix it?
Old 06-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Is anyone going to answer this thread this question? How do I fix this???
Old 06-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

What does the side of the shower that has the water valves back up too? Generally on this side there is an access panel. Mine is behind where my control panel is---I open the door and remove some screws. With that the area is exposed.

What exactly is wrong with the drain pipe? I had a cracked P-trap right at the shower drain which caused the same problem and had to be replaced. Can you see the pipe? Where does it go afterit leaves the shower---mine goes under the sink and has a small access panel there---how about yours?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
What does the side of the shower that has the water valves back up too? Generally on this side there is an access panel. Mine is behind where my control panel is---I open the door and remove some screws. With that the area is exposed.

What exactly is wrong with the drain pipe? I had a cracked P-trap right at the shower drain which caused the same problem and had to be replaced. Can you see the pipe? Where does it go afterit leaves the shower---mine goes under the sink and has a small access panel there---how about yours?

Also do you have any access underneath in the storage bays a panel or anything to remove that would expose the shower plumbing? Look in every cabinet that may back up to the shower.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote