Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Leaking windshield

I am having trouble with my front passenger side windshield leaking. Just checked it and it is really bad. I wanted to know just where here in south New Jersey there is a reputable place to have it fixed / replaced. I bought it new at Willingboro/Chrysler RV Dealership, which has since gone out of business. Perhaps a call to the factory is in order. Thanks in advance.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

just checking for a business.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Many of the automotive glass shops (Guardian for sure) can R&R the windshield. The trick is finding someone to deal with the rust you are likely to find on the metal frame which is likely the cause of your leak.

When we had a windshield crack and leak on our 2002 Journey, we used a local Guardian Glass shop to remove the glass and install the new glass. We took the coach to an automotive collision repair shop that also does limited RV repairs. They took care of the rust while the old glass was out.

You might want to call a Guardian glass vendor in your area and see if they can recommend a shop to do the work. Or, the Guardian shop may do it all.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You could call you insurance company and talk to them about your leak. They will know who can do the work in your area and perhaps they will allow a claim and pay for your fix minus any deductible you might have.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Great ideas, I'll give it a try.
Smlrangler, did you drive the rv without the windshield to the repair shop?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpie View Post
Great ideas, I'll give it a try.
Smlrangler, did you drive the rv without the windshield to the repair shop?
No. I drove coach to shop and Guardian came there to do the glass work.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
leaks are normal for winnebago

the has been a lot of articles and suggested repairs for the metal frames on winnebagos. I have not met one person who did not have a leak.

Mine leaked a tremendous amount of water and I also found no less than four separate areas where water does enter the framing systems from the back to the front.

although you said that the dealer was out of business, there still is an RV repair shop there on rt 130 at the same location. Most of the repair work can be done by yourself if you have a ladder and time. mostly it just requires a little investigating and calking. you may have to patch up some rusted metal first.

I now have ZERO leaks.

do you still live in the willingboro area????
Old 12-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Give Bellmawr Collision a Call 856-939-4000
60 W. Clements Bridge Rd.
Runnemede, NJ

There is another Paint Collision Shop that works on Motorhomes in Mount Holly, NJ I don't remember there name.
That is who Dylan's RV uses on there Coaches.
DanleyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

OK now I'm getting some where, Thanks. Yes I still live in the Willingboro area. That RV shop is not the same Willingboro RV that I bought my coach from. I stopped in there once, that was enough to show me that I should walk out and never come back. I am thinking that I need to fix the steel frame first then take care of the windshield. I have already cleaned, caulked and patched this more than once, it is getting really bad this time. I'll have to have the windshield removed and fixed right this time around.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

bobPie, I use a company in Sussex, NJ across from the Sussex Airport called Country Classic's. ask for Mike. 1-973-815-7007 or 1-973-875-2260 best bet. They have treated me fairly. respectfully, David
pdidonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
OK now I'm getting some where, Thanks. Yes I still live in the Willingboro area. That RV shop is not the same Willingboro RV that I bought my coach from. I stopped in there once, that was enough to show me that I should walk out and never come back. I am thinking that I need to fix the steel frame first then take care of the windshield. I have already cleaned, caulked and patched this more than once, it is getting really bad this time. I'll have to have the windshield removed and fixed right this time around.
I sent you a personal message that I would look at the MH and or show what I did to fix mine. we live in willingboro behind tims auto
if you interested let me know
Old 12-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I sent you a personal message that I would look at the MH and or show what I did to fix mine. we live in willingboro behind tims auto
if you interested let me know
I did PM you, thanks.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Red face

on a reference I called a local glass repaired. Just waiting 4 a call back. Will let U know how it turns out.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

still no call back yet. I guess with the holidays?
Old 01-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

u still leaking

Quote:
I am having trouble with my front passenger side windshield leaking. Just checked it and it is really bad. I wanted to know just
Hi Bobpie, I did not forget you but just plain damn busy.
Here is a drawing I made up of the windshield problem. all it takes is a little work and sealant to fix. the other problem may be more serious and that is the roof/gutter joint. I thought my problem was from the windshield but found the water was accumulating in the framework from the back to the front. There is a small drain hole at the front and rear of the gutter. it is used to hopefully - drain water from the inside frame. it gets clogged and allows the water to build up in the frame sometimes making it appear as though it is the windshield. It really shows up if you put the brakes on and get a big splash of water dripping from the front of the MH>

take a look at the pics and see if you have this problem with the windshield sealant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield leak for web .jpg
Views:	286
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	53053   Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOF GUTTER 1.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	53054  

Name:	ROOF GUTTER 2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	53055   Click image for larger version

Name:	ROOF GUTTER 3.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	53056  

Name:	ROOF GUTTER 4.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	53057  
Old 01-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

We had a leak on our Journey and took it to a local glass shop in Elkhart, IN, they told us about the rust and that we needed to go over to the local RV repair shop in town to have them look at it to repair the rust. Being from the RV capitol of the world and seeing some of the work, we elected to drive right to the Winnebago Factory. Needless to say,they said no problem they could fix without all the fiberglass repair (as there was no fiberglass up there to repair) but there was the chance of the windshield breaking. With that, we expected them to break it..which they did. We had it fixed (suppose to) and upon our return home, parked it in the barn. Last month we decided to leave for FL for winter and after staying in TN for 2 weeks with rain everyday, we found out the leak was still there. We also had Winnebago put a shim in the sat. dish and low and behold with all the rain in TN it now leaked. A serious leak.....called Winnebago and was told to go to a Winnebago Dealer and have them call Winnebago. Monday, December 23 we show up at Camping World in Dothan, AL only to find out Winnebago is closed for the holidays. Hearing bad things about Camping World we were now in a real rut. But due to the roof leak being so bad, so had no choice but to have them look at it as Winnebago was closed. Come to find out the tech at Winnebago broke the seal on the dish mount and never bothered to seal it up. So with no way to get ahold of Winnebago we had to make a costly decision. We ended up with a new mini dome and we were lucky to get an older gentleman that took pride in his work and told us he sealed it real good and we should not have any problems. Monday I will be on the phone to Winnebago to tell them what I think about the whole ordeal and see if they will refund us some of the money we had to spend to get the leaking roof fixed. Never had them do anything with the windshield and we were not going to pay for another new windshield. Now my QUESTION IS: (since I vented already) how do you get the stain from the water leak off my inside roof. It looks like crap all brown.
ShortJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

shortjourney,
do a forum search on cleaning inside ceiling material.
oxy clean has worked well for us.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

The water leaks in when it is raining or the snow melts, The unit is parked and tilted front side up higher then the rear so any water drains to the rear of the coach. I will go and check it today as the snow is melting. By the way I did go on the roof and clear off all accumulated snow the other day. Still no call back from glass company yet. OH MY.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:50 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

hopefully he will call me back on Mon. as he has promised.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Leaking windshield

Hope your luck is better than mine. I had the same problem and the frame around the windshield was rotted out. Cost me $6500 to get repaired. I just bought the unit (1999Chieftain) "SOLD AS IS" and had no recourse...Good luck
jdporter221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak