Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Leaking LP from aux supply port -

Well it's cold here in Colorado and we are just starting our full time journey. Set up camp in Colorado Springs and turned on the LP valve to get some heat and cooking going. I can smell leaking LP gas and have narrowed it to the aux supply valve that I use to connect to my portable grill. I have taken the valve cap off and on a few times and there is no thread damage to either side. I have tried tightening and have added yellow gas tape to help seal the leak. Has anyone found a good solution to these types of leaks?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Put liquid dish soap on the connection and look for bubbles. It could be leaking elsewhere. It can fool you
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Put liquid dish soap on the connection and look for bubbles. It could be leaking elsewhere. It can fool you
Found the leak. There was a small plug under the aux valve and it was loose.

As a follow on... the monitor panel in our RV says we have about 2/3 of our LP remaining while the gauge on the tank says between 1/2 and 1/2 remaining. Is this discrepancy normal and which do I believe? I would think the gauge on the tank would be more accurate.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
Found the leak. There was a small plug under the aux valve and it was loose. As a follow on... the monitor panel in our RV says we have about 2/3 of our LP remaining while the gauge on the tank says between 1/2 and 1/2 remaining. Is this discrepancy normal and which do I believe? I would think the gauge on the tank would be more accurate.
That is normal. A tank is only filled to about 3/4. So 1/2 is about 2/3.
The tank gauge is usually most accurate.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
A tank is only filled to about 3/4.
CampDaven
You are correct!
80%, (the level to which all propane tanks are/can be safely filled), is "about 3/4" full.

My 35 gal tank contains 28 gal when full.

When/if my tank is "full", the tank mounted analog gauge shows FULL, (as does the "EMPTY, 1/3rd, 2rd, FULL", LED remote panel).

As propane is used, both the gauge and the panel drop..... (each showing/displaying approximately the same amount of propane that remains in the tank).

Approximately
is the key word......
Since few gauges and/or remote panels are accurate/correct, every owner must determine what the readings on their gauge and or panel mean/show.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

It's real easy to tell when it's empty because you wake up in the early early morning with frost coming from your mouth and the inside of your MH Cold as Ice
Old 11-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
It's real easy to tell when it's empty because you wake up in the early early morning with frost coming from your mouth and the inside of your MH Cold as Ice
I would really like to avoid that scenario... I found that at our current park, we must drive the RV to their propane refill point. They cannot fill in place. Is this common? What a pain to disconnect, unlevel and drive 200 feet to top off our tank. I can get a second 20 lb cylinder if needed but then I need to carry that around with me. I am learning new stuff every day...
Old 11-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I would really like to avoid that scenario... I found that at our current park, we must drive the RV to their propane refill point. They cannot fill in place. Is this common? What a pain to disconnect, unlevel and drive 200 feet to top off our tank. I can get a second 20 lb cylinder if needed but then I need to carry that around with me. I am learning new stuff every day...
We had to go over 20 miles yesterday for propane. And then we were charged $4 a gallon! But the real adventure was when I was forced over a curb with the right rear tire. The jolt catapulted the content of the frig in many different directions that were not within the frig!!!

Morel to the story? Put a bungee, the short looped type, on the frig door handles. I should have had a V8!

Yes, we learn new thing each day, even 7 years into full-timing. My excuse is that the coach is still new to us.

Good news is that the heat pump has worked down to around 28 or 29 degs! I did not know it was possible but it has been consistent over the past few cold nights. It did freeze up around 33 when it was raining. But that is still great news.

Happy trails and warm ones ta boot,
Rick
Old 11-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #9

Quote:
osgoor
That is common and inconvenient, but better than the many parks that do not sell propane...(then you must drive to another location, often many miles away, to fill your LP tank).
I always carry a 20# tank of LP which we use for our grill and as a backup for the coach via a homemade Extend-A-Stay, like this:
Amazon.com: Marshall Gas Controls 536-00 Extend-A-Stay Standard Tap Kit: Explore similar items
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
osgoor
That is common and inconvenient, but better than the many parks that do not sell propane...(then you must drive to another location, often many miles away, to fill your LP tank).
I always carry a 20# tank of LP which we use for our grill and as a backup for the coach via a homemade Extend-A-Stay, like this:
Amazon.com: Marshall Gas Controls 536-00 Extend-A-Stay Standard Tap Kit: Explore similar items
Mel
'96 Safari
I may be able to do this by putting a longer hose on my regulator. If I do this I can detach the regulator and remove the fitting at the tank valve. This is the same thread as the portable tanks. Presto! Instant Extend-A-Stay.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

re; the monitor reading vs tank gauge reading. The monitor gauge works like like the holding tank gauges. The liquid level may be 1-2" below the 3/4 full sensor so the monitor shows 1/2 full, yet you have a smidge below 3/4, or vise versa. Same theory for the LP tank.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all for the feedback. We decided to unhook everything and drive 3 miles to fill the LP tank. The gauge was showing "E" and with temps going below zero, we could not take the chance of running out. When the folks filled the tank it only took 17.3 gallons. So, our gauge is off by almost 10 gallons.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks to all for the feedback. We decided to unhook everything and drive 3 miles to fill the LP tank. The gauge was showing "E" and with temps going below zero, we could not take the chance of running out. When the folks filled the tank it only took 17.3 gallons. So, our gauge is off by almost 10 gallons.
Your 28 gallon tank can only be filled to 80% capacity or about 22.4 gallons. I just had my 28 gal. tank filled from empty and it took 21.3 gallons before the vent vented liquid. The tank gage was reading about 75% at the fill station and a little over when I got back home.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak