Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
PA Weldor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13
LCI - Lippert

Not very pleased with LCI products.

We have a 2014 Winnebago Vista 35B with just over 12,000 miles on it. After camping this past weekend, I hit the retract button on the panel. The jacks did retract (I always visually check to insure the jacks are up).

Upon arrival home, I parked our MH in it's place and prepared to lower the jacks so I could open slides and unload. The display indicated 'Jacks Down'. Not so. They were still in the up position. I dug out the manual and followed the instructions to reset the key pad (push Enter and Retract buttons at the same time). I did so. Nothing. Every time I attempted to either lower the jacks manually, or retract, or auto level, I kept getting ERROR - FUNCTION ABORTED displayed. No matter what I did, I got the same message. I called Lippert. Their Tech Rep told me I was not getting voltage to the solenoid. and to check the fuse in line. I tested the positive cable on the solenoid with a volt meter. Had 14 + volts. So much for the fuse theory. Then he asked me to do the reset routine again and again. We did. Nothing. Then he instructed me to find the 'Controller'. Finally found it mounted inside the outside circuit breaker compartment. Had to remove the panel holding all the breakers. He then instructed me to probe the green wire on the 9 pin connector while pushing the auto level button on the key pad. Got the wife to do so. Got voltage and a click in the solenoid.

Then I thought. This guy doesn't have a clue what we're doing here. I had informed him that no matter what buttons I touched on the key pad, I got the ERROR - Function Aborted message.

I then visited Camping World Harrisburg, PA and picked their brain. They told me they do the exact same thing I had done with the Lippert Tech Rep while they troubleshoot systems.

Got my manual out again, wiring diagram leaves a lot to be desired. Did some more reading and lo and behold there in fine print it says 'if error message continues, replace controller.

I have one coming in from a supplier on eBay. Cost $170. Camping World price is $226. I have a scheduled appointment for repair on this jack system on the 1st of Sep. IF the new controller (easy to replace) does the trick, I'll cancel the appointment. Yes, I do have an extended warranty on the MH, and yes, it does cover the leveling system. IF this corrects the problem, I'm going to attempt to receive my money back from my Insurance Co. I figured if I take the unit to my dealer, they're gonna spend a lot of time troubleshooting. Could wind up costing me much more that I'll have in the controller. IF it doesn't cure the problem, the MH is going to the dealer.

I'll keep you posted as to the results of the situation.
__________________
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
PA Weldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper
 
powderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: N. E. Ohio & Lady Lake Fl.
Posts: 13
It sounds like your on the right track. I have promised myself that when looking for an rv if I see the name Lippert, or Schintek anywhere on it that I will run the other way.
__________________
Ron WD8CBT

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
Scarab0088's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
...I have promised myself that when looking for an rv if I see the name Lippert, or Schintek anywhere on it that I will run the other way.
Just for what it is worth...Lippert is the core of Lippert Components Inc. (LCI).
LCI companies make everything from Awnings to Windows...
See: Capabilities

It could be difficult to get a modern RV with no LCI products on-board.

LCI does not typically sell direct to the public, but for what they do...my personal experience is that their retail function (LCI Store) VERY helpful.
https://store.lci1.com/

Safe travels
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner
 
Lanny1763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Autumn Woods RV Park, Rochester, MN
Posts: 53
Got lucky with the Itasca Solei we had that had Schwintek slides (probably because we didn't keep it long enough). But we traded for a fifth wheel and the bedroom slide is powered by Schwintek. It has made up for the slides in our former motorhome in spades. I knew when we were looking at the the FW that anything Lippert is not of matter of "if" its going to crap out, but "when". The when for me has been from day one, it even wouldn't close on the day it was being pulled into the service bay for service. That validated me and DW's claims that the slide wasn't working properly. The warranty guys used by the manufacturer put a bandaid on the problem, which worked for a few extends/retracts. Guess what, the bandaid didn't last, now we have to go back to the factory again to fix this pig. i agree with Ron (powderman) above, if you see anything on a rig that's LCI/Lippert RUN AWAY!

I love the rest of this rig, but I have to question the logic in using a slide system that is rampant with problems throughout the RV industry.

Shame on me for believing we'd the lucky ones to not have any issues. So, PA Weldor, you're not alone. Also, thank you for your service!
__________________
Lanny, Retired GySgt USMC
2016 Vilano 365RL
2016 F350 CrewCab 6.7 Powerstroke DRW
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 249
Of the only 3 systems on mine I have to coax to work, all 3 are LCI Who would have thought!

  • Leveling - continuously times out - retract and enter buttons, then start over.
  • Slides - sometimes stick - wife has to help get it out then I get my can of CRC PTFE dry lube out and the ladder
  • Bed retract for slide - actually a mini schwintek mechanism - continuously broke limit switches for the slide interlock - just bypassed the interlocks permanently.

Did I mention the rest of the coach is awesome! Well maybe those POS Mach 8 ACs are a little noisy, but they work!
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper
 
powderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: N. E. Ohio & Lady Lake Fl.
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Just for what it is worth...Lippert is the core of Lippert Components Inc. (LCI).
LCI companies make everything from Awnings to Windows...
See: Capabilities

It could be difficult to get a modern RV with no LCI products on-board.

LCI does not typically sell direct to the public, but for what they do...my personal experience is that their retail function (LCI Store) VERY helpful.
https://store.lci1.com/

Safe travels
Yes I understand they have their hands in many aspects of RVs, but the main ones are the frames and slides. Most of the small things I can deal with later. Oh and one more I don't want any part of is the Notcold refrigerators.
__________________
Ron WD8CBT

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Kernersville, NC
Posts: 1
PA Welder-
did you get your controller swapped out? did it fix anything- we are going thru this scenario right now too!
willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
PA Weldor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowrun View Post
PA Welder-
did you get your controller swapped out? did it fix anything- we are going thru this scenario right now too!
Received the controller yesterday. Installed it last night. Samo, samo. I did locate a complete operators guide on line and downloaded today. It does have a better troubleshooting guide than the one in the Winnebago owners manual. It stated that the Jacks Down display will show if the fluid in the reservoir is low. So, I added a little fluid. Nope. That's not it.

Taking MH back to dealer's on Thursday.

I also discovered that once I removed the outside compartment circuit breaker panel to gain access to the controller, there are two in line 15 amp fuses that run to two of the breakers. ???????? That would be real special while on the road if one wasn't aware of their locations.
__________________
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
PA Weldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 5
I'm having the same problem with my jacks, not coming down. Is the fuse compartment under the engine hood? Did you replace the 15 amp fuses? Where did you find the manual to download re the jacks. Thanks in advance.
DWTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Signal Hill, California
Posts: 5
Gentlemen it is the Lippert hydraulic motor that is BAD.
__________________
Sanford, Linda & R cats: Molly, Levi, Cody
2011 Monaco by Navistar RV
Good Sam Life Member Good Sam Hams Chapter
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper
 
PA Weldor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWTK View Post
I'm having the same problem with my jacks, not coming down. Is the fuse compartment under the engine hood? Did you replace the 15 amp fuses? Where did you find the manual to download re the jacks. Thanks in advance.

Here's the link to the Owners Manual: OWNERS MANUAL - Lippert Components, Inc. (LCI™)

No, I didn't replace the fuses. They were ok.

On our MH there are a few locations for fuses and/or circuit breakers. Under the hood, under the dash on drivers side, outside compartment dedicated to just circuit breakers, the leveler controller (and those two behind the panel 15 amp fuses. Might be more. I just haven't found them yet.
__________________
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
PA Weldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 5
Thanks for everyone's input. I located the fuse. At the levelling pump location, follow the positive wire towards the battery and you will find a 15 amp in line fuse. As per discussions twice with Lippert people, I checked the fuse and it was ok. As the front drivers side jack was down, I had to manually retract the jack as per the owners manual. As per a previous comment, I think it is the pump motor. Off to the shop I go.
DWTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper
 
PA Weldor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Weldor View Post
Not very pleased with LCI products.

We have a 2014 Winnebago Vista 35B with just over 12,000 miles on it. After camping this past weekend, I hit the retract button on the panel. The jacks did retract (I always visually check to insure the jacks are up).

Upon arrival home, I parked our MH in it's place and prepared to lower the jacks so I could open slides and unload. The display indicated 'Jacks Down'. Not so. They were still in the up position. I dug out the manual and followed the instructions to reset the key pad (push Enter and Retract buttons at the same time). I did so. Nothing. Every time I attempted to either lower the jacks manually, or retract, or auto level, I kept getting ERROR - FUNCTION ABORTED displayed. No matter what I did, I got the same message. I called Lippert. Their Tech Rep told me I was not getting voltage to the solenoid. and to check the fuse in line. I tested the positive cable on the solenoid with a volt meter. Had 14 + volts. So much for the fuse theory. Then he asked me to do the reset routine again and again. We did. Nothing. Then he instructed me to find the 'Controller'. Finally found it mounted inside the outside circuit breaker compartment. Had to remove the panel holding all the breakers. He then instructed me to probe the green wire on the 9 pin connector while pushing the auto level button on the key pad. Got the wife to do so. Got voltage and a click in the solenoid.

Then I thought. This guy doesn't have a clue what we're doing here. I had informed him that no matter what buttons I touched on the key pad, I got the ERROR - Function Aborted message.

I then visited Camping World Harrisburg, PA and picked their brain. They told me they do the exact same thing I had done with the Lippert Tech Rep while they troubleshoot systems.

Got my manual out again, wiring diagram leaves a lot to be desired. Did some more reading and lo and behold there in fine print it says 'if error message continues, replace controller.

I have one coming in from a supplier on eBay. Cost $170. Camping World price is $226. I have a scheduled appointment for repair on this jack system on the 1st of Sep. IF the new controller (easy to replace) does the trick, I'll cancel the appointment. Yes, I do have an extended warranty on the MH, and yes, it does cover the leveling system. IF this corrects the problem, I'm going to attempt to receive my money back from my Insurance Co. I figured if I take the unit to my dealer, they're gonna spend a lot of time troubleshooting. Could wind up costing me much more that I'll have in the controller. IF it doesn't cure the problem, the MH is going to the dealer.

I'll keep you posted as to the results of the situation.
Just got a call from my dealer. They determined that the pump motor is bad. They called my extended warranty folks and they will not cover the diagnostic labor cost or the shipping charge for the new motor. They WILL pay for the labor to install the new motor and the price of the motor (less my deductible). Still gonna cost me almost $500 for this fiasco (I'm having them do an annual inspection on the MH,so that's some of the added cost).

Did I am not happy with Lippert products.
__________________
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
PA Weldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper
 
PA Weldor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13
An Update.

Just called the dealer. They informed me that the motor is scheduled to be shipped on the 26th. Not acceptable. I told the Service Manager we needed the mH back by the 15th. We have a trip planned that we paid for a year ago.

He stated that they contacted Winnebago about the pump motor, they informed them they are on back order. I asked why he didn't contact Lippert directly for the motor. He said Winnebago built the MH so they have to contact them. He stated that Lippert 'probably' doesn't have any pumps on hand. Then he tells me that even if he did contact Lippert directly for the motor, my super fine extended warranty probably wouldn't cover the motor as it would cost more ordering from Lippert. Huh?

I bought the best extended warranty my dealer (Tom Shaffers RV in Shoemakersville, PA) offered, and it won't cover it? Something smells.

Anyway, I'm picking the MH up tomorrow and going to pull the motor and have it checked by a motor shop.
__________________
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
PA Weldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lippert


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LCI Levelers Rich Bock General Maintenance and Repair 7 10-15-2015 12:59 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.