Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bought a 2004 Journey at Lazy Days just about a month ago and have been in the Keys since then with the coach.

On the way from Tampa to the Keys we noticed the house air wasn't blowing cold, and now the backup camera wont work.

We have an apointment to go to LD on the way home to have the work done, but it will cost us probably $1000 to stay somewhere till our appointiment. Can't get in there till 4/12

Questions....anyone have any clues to what to check for the camera fix?

How difficult is it to drop the air unit to fix it ourselves. Hubby is very handy, and we have a very good friend in the AC business.

Guess we are trying to figure out the most economical way to do this... go home, or back to Tampa which extends our orininal trip by 12 or more days.

thanks so much!!
Dual
dualgwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Bought a 2004 Journey at Lazy Days just about a month ago and have been in the Keys since then with the coach.

On the way from Tampa to the Keys we noticed the house air wasn't blowing cold, and now the backup camera wont work.

We have an apointment to go to LD on the way home to have the work done, but it will cost us probably $1000 to stay somewhere till our appointiment. Can't get in there till 4/12

How difficult is it to drop the air unit to fix it ourselves. Hubby is very handy, and we have a very good friend in the AC business.

Guess we are trying to figure out the most economical way to do this... go home, or back to Tampa which extends our orininal trip by 12 or more days.

thanks so much!!
Dual
Old 03-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I guess I don't understand your statement that it will cost you $1000 to stay somewhere until your appointment. If you mean that you would like to stay in the Tampa area until your appointment, why not stay in your RV? Lazy Days has a very large and nice campground that I'm sure they would let you stay at a reduced (or no) rate while waiting for THEM to do warranty work.

Personally, I wouldn't consider doing something myself if the coach is still under warranty because the cost could be considerably more than anticipated.
Mach428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

dualgwp,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I don't have the expertise you need but if you're at all familiar with this website then you know there are people that do. I'm sure you'll receive assistance shortly. Hope they are easy fixes.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Welcome dualgwp to irv2 and the Winnebago forum.
If you have sent all those warranty forms in you may be able to get your items fix at a autorized vendor. You must have a call list for your two items give it a try. When I have been a Newmar factory they would call in vendor for AC's to be fixed.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dualgwp:

thanks so much!!
Dual </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check the A/B switch on the backup monitor. It is pretty easy to bump it to one of the alternate camera positions and if you don't have an alternate camera all you will see is a blank screen.

On the AC it could be any number of issues from a blown fuse to a bad compressor. LazyDays had my coach for over a month the last time I brought it in and that was the third time they were fixing the AC under warrenty.

Who is your service advisor? Some are OK while others have an attitude and are totaly incompetent. If it was not for the warrenty I would not have brought my coach back there for service.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Dual:

Welcome to the forum . Just a suggestion..your AC is manufactured by RVP and there should be some contact info. in your black bag. If the AC is still under their warranty, they might be able to direct you to an authorized repair center. Did Lazy Days give you some bumper-to-bumper warranty on the rig?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum. This a friendly place and we have been helped alot. The good will and advice and insight have really gone a long way toward assisting us with solving problems and getting to know our Motor Home systems.

My 2004 Journey purchased at LD in September also had an A/C problem. We were fortunate in that the problem occurred before we departed. It was the thermostat. The mechanic also said that the duct running up the end cap may have opened. But I discounted that because the air volume was normal.

If you are out of the LD warranty then another alternative would be Haberson –RV in Holiday, Fl. I think their business volume will also require an extended appointment time. They are a Winnebago dealer and have provided us good service. If you are in warranty you may want to consider staying with LD as an A/C repair bill can be hefty. LD wrote the warranty charge for the thermostat repair as $2,971.

There is thread regarding the camera repair. The Sony cameras seem to be failing on our vintage. I've been lucky so far. As I recall others have found a replacement camera for about $250.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have an '05 Meridian. My air conditioning also failed. In my case, neither the air compressor nor the fan would operate. The heat pump would function however, so I knew it was probably the thermostat, which it was. RVP sent me a new one, which was waiting for me by the time I got home.
Eric Hennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dualgwp:

thanks so much!!
Dual </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
rojodoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Pulling the ac/heat pump unit isn't all that difficult ...just cumbersome. You have to remove several plates, take a dozen or more screws out of the duct attached to the rear, disconnect all the wiring, and then slide it out onto a forklift or a wheeled cart just the right height. Then you have to be able to connect it to 120v power to test it and understand what you are finding. I've had mine pulled twice in the past 12 mo ... $300 labor each time even though I basically had to show them how to do it the second time. Both times, I had them tie off the wiring and I left the unit on their shop floor while I returned to the RV park until they had it repaired ...beats sitting there waiting while they figure it out and wait for parts to arrive.

If you are out of warranty with Lazy Daze, you can find authorized service centers on the RVP website at www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/products/offroof/heatpump.php
Old 03-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rojodoss:

thanks so much!my advice Stay away from lazy days for service at any cost.Dual </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>my advice s
Old 03-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

from experience stay away from lazy days for any type of service, especially warranty. if you can get them to pay for repair at a reciprocating dealer or service center do so. after buying a new coach and returning it 3 times for service it was never repaired. I have heard nothing but negative for their service.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:14 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rojodoss:
from experience stay away from lazy days for any type of service, especially warranty. if you can get them to pay for repair at a reciprocating dealer or service center do so. after buying a new coach and returning it 3 times for service it was never repaired. I have heard nothing but negative for their service. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats wrong with getting called and being told that they are ready and waiting, calling to confirm the morning of arrival, letting them know an hour in advance when you will be there, calling them 10 minutes before your arrival and then when you get there they can't find your keys, paper work or coach. Then you wait 1/2 to 1 hour while they try to find everything and then give you back your coach partially repaired, dirty, with low batteries and additional items broken after having had it a month or so.

On one typical visit after already waiting 30 minutes one service advisor after telling us, "Welcome! You are important to us!", told us to "wait here" while she found our paper work and keys and was gone. After waiting an additional 20 minutes we went to have her paged only to see our keys and paperwork sitting on the counter. She did not return to where she told us to wait nor did she send anyone to advise us or have us paged. We did not feel important to say the least. We took the keys and ran!

Yes the coach was not completly repaired, it was dirty/soiled inside and out by the techs and we have to repair the sidewalls now cracked and damaged in the bottom corners of the slide opening from their failed attempts to fix a hydraulic leak in the bedroom slide. To add to it they did not use HWH fluid when the refilled the system and we now have a transmission oil stain in the bedroom carpet that has been very difficult to get out after repeated cleanings. The hydraulics still are leaking too.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:59 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

ON THE CAMERA COAX KEPT POPPING OF THE BACK OF MONITOR WHEN I HIT A GOOD BUMP.....WIRE TIED IT SO IT HASNT HAPPENED IN A YEAR.......06 ADVENTURER
Old 03-29-2007, 06:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone! These forums are truly helpful.
When we purchased the coach, we weren't thrilled with the service we received when we picked up the coach. Several things that were supposed to be fixed/cleaned were not done, but they were fairly minor.

We already had a deposit on a house rental in the Keys for the month so decided to fix the small stuff ourselves instead of sitting around in Tampa for more days. Now our month is up here and we have to head north, or back to Tampa.

We fear getting to LD and being blown off again, or worse not getting it fixed. Unfortunately the waranty is up on the air conditioner, but because we called them right away LD is extending our 30 days.

I guess some of you confirmed what my fears were... LD sells a lot, but may not be the best choice for service. After all, we are from PA and only travel this way once a year, so they won't be seeing us again for regular service.

Hubby will check the various camera suggestions given (thanks!) that's more important for the long drive north than air.

As far as the air, it seems like the 2nd compressor isn't coming on, it blows air, just not cold.

Thanks again!!!!!
Dual
Old 03-31-2007, 04:08 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Try calling Winni I have called them manny times and they will get a service teck on the phone to talk to you . We where in Myrtle Beach on our vacation and our water heater was making a funny sound I called them with the cell phone and let them hear the sound. The told me what it was and how to fix it. They are great every time I have called. My coach is a 2003 so dont worry about you one year warenty out. They are verry nice and would help you with Lazy Days to . I bet if you call them they would call L.D and see if they could work you in sooner. They have a great rv resort and I think if you went there they would get to it sooner . We have been there many times to look but never to buy. One think I found was most of the guys at the pool and hot tube where not inpressed with the service at all . I heard all kind of storys .hop this helps
charlie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:29 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Hi! If Winni can't help, try calling your salesman. I know there are over 150 working there but, you mught have a good one who will arrange for you to stay in Rally Park not charge you, an get you an earlier appt. Paul
Old 03-31-2007, 06:19 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

First check to see if you have power going to the ac and the camera,then go back from there.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:28 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jetsmania:
Hi! If Winni can't help, try calling your salesman. I know there are over 150 working there but, you mught have a good one who will arrange for you to stay in Rally Park not charge you, an get you an earlier appt. Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took my problem all the way to Don Wallace and even though it did push me up on the schedule it did not improve the quality of the service. Actually it seemed to get worse and I got the coach back more beat up and dirtier then usual. I gather from listening to the salesmen, just hang back and become invisible for a short while and you may be amazed at what you will pick up on, that they are just as frustrated with the service department as we are.

An example of their service is this rude phone call I recieved from one of their service advisors. "WHAT DID YOOOUU DOOO!!! MY SERVICE TECH GOT THROWN SEVERAL TIMES WORKING ON YOUR COACH!"

After I got the ranting and shouting stopped, I finally got from the service advisor that the tech repeatedly had shocked himself and been knocked off his feet while working on my coach. The only reason the tech was working on the coach is that I had brought it in because I believed there were multiple and sever electrical problems, that someone had cross wired things the last time they had worked on it and even had switched the generators 20 amp circuit to the mains and the generators 30 amp circuit to the primary AC.

I told the service advisor that I found it hard to understand how or why a qualified electrician would repeatedly submit himself to electrical shocks in the manner described unless he really was not qualified to work with electricity and then I requested that only tech's with proper training and certifications be allowed to work on the coach.

Obviously the tech they assigned should not have been working with electricity and the service advisor was not qualified to speak with customers or work in the service department were RV's are repaired.

This unfortunately has been the norm when dealing with their service department.