Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Kwikee Steps

Has anyone had there kwikee steps decide not to come up automatically when you start the engine. It works if I have switch on, but if switch is off it stays down. Went to park it on rv pad heard noise, stoped and opened door and now have spiral staircase going into motorhome. Has always worked before. Is there a fuse for the override?

Thanks
Frank & Marilyn
Frank & Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I would like to know about this also. My step seems to be acting the same way. I have avoided any "oops" by carefully monitoring the steps before I move the coach.
Sorry to hear you crunched your step.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I do not have Kwikee steps, mine are SCS/Frigette but I think they operate pretty much the same way.

Do your steps move in and out when the front door is operated with the step switch on and igknition switch off , or do they stay extended until you start the engine? It they do not operate when the front door is operated it sounds like they are operating bass-ackwards, which may be an indication of a faulty step switch, a loose wire in the step switch circuit, or no power to the step switch. At worst it could indicate a bad control board. I would recommend checking the connector to the control board which is located under your coach in the vicinity of the steps, may be loose, dirty, wet or some combination thereof. Check your 12VDC fuse boards for a 5 - 10 fuse that is blown. Main power to the steops is throuh a 20+ amp circuit breaker, but power to the control panel is also supplied through the step switch, and the ignition switch so you should have 2 small amperage fuses and one circuit breaker. Check the step switch to make sure a wire has not come loose, while you are at it check the switch with a mutli-meter or DC Voltage checker to make sure it has not failed.

Let us know what you find.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Had the same problem, did not realize that it was the setup, until I replaced them and thought they were not working correctly, until I realized that the original ones were the ones not working properly. I would follow what Spikester posted.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank & Marilyn View Post
Has anyone had there kwikee steps decide not to come up automatically when you start the engine. It works if I have switch on, but if switch is off it stays down. Went to park it on rv pad heard noise, stoped and opened door and now have spiral staircase going into motorhome. Has always worked before. Is there a fuse for the override?

Thanks
Frank & Marilyn

My problem was the switch. One part mounted to the door and one part mounted to the coach. Replaced the switch and everything works good.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Mine have always worked as you describe

Option 1: With "override" switch on close door, Start engine Steps remain extended

Option 2: Start engine, CLOSE door, Steps retract.

But they will not come in if the door is closed first..

I believe this is a design flaw.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I know Kwikee has changed strategies ove rthe years as to exactly what the on/off switch does. I think some aren't even labeled on/off. Have to be careful you're talking apples to apples.

On my '04 the steps are supposed to come in, no matter what, if the ignition is on. Couple weeks ago I had the same thing as the original poster. Started the motorhome and started to pull out of the garage. Strange noise, steps were out! Shut off the motorhome, turned it back on, steps came in, and have continued to do so since. I'm watching extra carefully now...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

check for dirty or corroded conection at the power plug which should be behind the steps. make sure the frame ground is secure. also do not get in the way of the steps when checking.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank & Marilyn View Post
Has anyone had there kwikee steps decide not to come up automatically when you start the engine. It works if I have switch on, but if switch is off it stays down. Went to park it on rv pad heard noise, stopped and opened door and now have spiral staircase going into motorhome. Has always worked before. Is there a fuse for the override?

Thanks
Frank & Marilyn
Maybe something from Kwikee will help:

Kwikee Products - Literature
Old 10-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Could be a bad ground - happened to me. Look for a green wire attached to a stud from the frame -- mine was behind the battery compartment. I loosened the nut, then retightened and steps worked properly. You can follow the green wire from laying under the steps.
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote