Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Kwikee Steps

HELP...we're going nuts. Our steps on the motor work but it sounds as the motor does not shut off...what in the world..we've worked 2 days troubleshooting the silly thing..
rodeoragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
YC1
Winnebago Owner

I found that taking the step down so they can be placed on their side makes chasing the issues easier. There are lots of threads on this forum about the steps. Do a search in the little box at the top of the forums and many should pop up.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum.

If the step motor keeps running , there is a distinct possibility that you have a broken drive gear. The control module needs to see the motor's amperage draw increase to know that the steps have reached the limit of travel, even a single broken tooth in the gear case can allow the motor to continue to run , and without a load the module won't shut it down.
Do you have the complete manual from Power Gear on step repair?
www.powergearus.com/products/steps
Old 11-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes, we have the complete manual. Just replaced the motor last year. Almost sounds like the gears may not be grabbing for enough pressure for the sensor. Gears all look good, they don't even have any markings where it looks like it may be catching.
rodeoragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I was so feed up with the problem of these steps I finally got rid of the control system.
Numerous time we would be heading down the road and the step would go out by itself. No amount of test would reveal the cause. All electrical checks were negative. It appeared that the control module ($285) was the culprit so I made my own control for semi manual control. I love it and it always works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RELAY PACKAGE FOR STEP.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	111807  
Old 11-13-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoragdoll View Post
HELP...we're going nuts. Our steps on the motor work but it sounds as the motor does not shut off...what in the world..we've worked 2 days troubleshooting the silly thing..

Very good chance the plastic gear slugs have crushed. take the gear cover off the motor and you should see a large plastic gear. There are 3 plastic slugs that fit between the gear and a triangle shaped drive gear. The plastic slugs make the connection between the plastic and metal if there is plastic debris it is the slugs. You can buy them at Advance Auto, Auto Zone, Amazon they are a window motor repair item about $6.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I was so feed up with the problem of these steps I finally got rid of the control system.
Numerous time we would be heading down the road and the step would go out by itself. No amount of test would reveal the cause. All electrical checks were negative. It appeared that the control module ($285) was the culprit so I made my own control for semi manual control. I love it and it always works.
If you decide to explore it again take a good look at the magnetic switch. If it is loose or your door is not closing tightly bumps in the road can energize your steps. The steps always follow the door, the switch "tells" the controller what the door is doing, the switch also fails fairly frequently. Order by color of switch white or black.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Brockx,
Know all about the door switch. Same thing we used in the alarm business 20 years ago. It wasn't that for sure. I'll never go back to something that was a pain in the a$$.
What I have now is rock solid. We don't go to our MH to find the step out or in unless we put them that way.

The timer relay we use in the alarm business. very versatile, the other relays are good for 30 amps are sealed found on the internet and everything is nice and neat in a waterproof box (6x6x4) from HD for $9. Entire project was less than $50.

The problem was in the controller module. I did a study on the current draw and it is extend or retract about 2.7 amps. The factory people kept telling me the problem was to much friction and needed lubrication. that was just BS. At end of run the current goes up to about 8 amps. I held the switch on for 30 seconds with no harm or blown fuse. this is about the same kind of service you might expect in a car electric window operation. Ford runs a 20 CB for the entire window groups.

The only other option i will be adding is an LED light
Old 11-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Brockx,
Know all about the door switch. Same thing we used in the alarm business 20 years ago. It wasn't that for sure. I'll never go back to something that was a pain in the a$$.
What I have now is rock solid. We don't go to our MH to find the step out or in unless we put them that way.

The timer relay we use in the alarm business. very versatile, the other relays are good for 30 amps are sealed found on the internet and everything is nice and neat in a waterproof box (6x6x4) from HD for $9. Entire project was less than $50.

The problem was in the controller module. I did a study on the current draw and it is extend or retract about 2.7 amps. The factory people kept telling me the problem was to much friction and needed lubrication. that was just BS. At end of run the current goes up to about 8 amps. I held the switch on for 30 seconds with no harm or blown fuse. this is about the same kind of service you might expect in a car electric window operation. Ford runs a 20 CB for the entire window groups.

The only other option i will be adding is an LED light
If I understand correctly the steps do not open automatically when the door is opened?
Old 11-19-2015, 04:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

That's correct. I could add another timer relay with a door switch but felt that just makes things more complex. I really wanted only a simple switch to start for manually operating the steps.
Then I realize that was insufficient. My wife wanted another switch down low that she could reach when outside the MH and also found the step were not pulled in a few time when we left in a hurry. That prompted me to add the dual relay and timer relay for more sophistication and the ability to add more switch and controls for the future modifications

This arrangement still requires you to operate the step manually if the engine is already running. That has not appeared to be a problem yet. I look at it this way, we don't have automatic door or window so we just have use a different set of rules for the steps.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

You are obviously sharp electrically, be a good idea to hook in a switch (possibly the existing magnet) that opens the steps when the door is opened with the steps closed.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
You are obviously sharp electrically, be a good idea to hook in a switch (possibly the existing magnet) that opens the steps when the door is opened with the steps closed.
We did consider that like I said , we could do that with another single shot relay. What I really want to do is set up the timer relay to operate of the transmission so that when it goes from neutral to drive the steps retract. that is the only time I really want the step in. "one step at a time "
Old 11-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

If the 3 plastic pucks get out of round the step will jump instead of stopping in or out.
RandyLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, steps