Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Kwikee step won't work???

My Kwikee step was coming out and hit an obsticle and stopped where it was. Now it won't retract nor extend. I have a light. Is there a reset anywhere? It is half extended and locked in place. Thanks for any help.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Check obvious, switch is not in lock position. Something else has happened, brace bent, poor ground, wire(s) knocked loose, obstruction or low voltage.

Step is locked in the retracted position

- Remove the1/4 inch pin that attaches the motor drive to the step mechanism. The pin is located in the center of step towards the front of the drive link that comes from the motor and it has a carter key to keep it in place. If you can get to it with the step extended, removal should allow the step to be retracted and you can rope or wire it in until you figure out what the main issue is. Check to see if the carter key is jammed on an adjacent frame support which is really close in the retracted position.
Call Kwikee support.

http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/875.pdf
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Can you hear the motor trying to move the steps when you open/close the door? Have you tried helping it along by giving it a push in when you close the door? Or pull it out when you open the door? If that works for you , then you need to lube all the pivoting points.

If that doesn't help, try rapping on the motor with small hammer or wrench. Sometimes the contacts inside the motor are dirty and you may be able to jar the contact closure get it moving again. If that works for you, then a more permanent fix is to pull the case off the motor and clean out the internal carbon dust & dirt from the motor brushes. I've fixed power windows in cars the same way. My Kwikee steps stopped working several yrs ago and I cleaned out the motor and they work fine ever since. But I do exercise the step once or twice a month so the motor won't freeze up again.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 04-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Sorry Dune'r tried what you said. Motor does not make any noise. It worked fine before. I simply opened the door, the step started to extend, hit an obsticle and froze. Never worked again. I have a light so I suspect I have power.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORCHDOG View Post
My Kwikee step was coming out and hit an obsticle and stopped where it was. Now it won't retract nor extend. I have a light. Is there a reset anywhere? It is half extended and locked in place. Thanks for any help.
the step actuator is the same as the power window actuator on some cars.
use this forum search feature to find more info.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all your help, I took it to the shop, motor AND controller. What would have done that kind of damage to both, who knows? It is what it is....
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORCHDOG View Post
Thanks for all your help, I took it to the shop, motor AND controller. What would have done that kind of damage to both, who knows? It is what it is....
I bet it was just dirt & humidity inside the motor....I'm thinking that your Florida rain & humidity brings this problem on quicker than dryer parts of the country. Ask to keep the old motor and clean it up inside.....you'll have a spare. If the controller was bad, then the shop replaced the motor just to be sure so you wouldn't be back anytime soon. I doubt you had two simultaneous problems.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Kwikee step heart aches

Here is my Kwikee step experience......brought moho home from storage, step wood not extend....cleaned all connections & applied silicone grease.....still no go.....checked voltage on start batteries & low & behold only
10.5 volts...don't know how I got it started....anyway put a battery charger on for a few minutes, voltage now 12.8 and step works as it should....manual talks about if the voltage ain't above 11.7 volts step will not work .....found out that is very true!!!!!!

Cheers
logansrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mine stuck in today.
Checked power - was good.
I loosened the 2 bolts that connected the steps to the motor arm & it extended.
Turns out it just needed lubed (DOH).
Old 08-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

My Kwikwee Step malfuntion experience

Our Kwikee Steps stopped working, luckily in the retracted position after returning from a recent camping trip. We are the original owners of our 2006 Itasca 31' Class A and this was the first issue we had with the steps.

After some trouble shooting per instructions I got from the Kwikee website: Power Gear - Advanced Actuation Solutions for RVs. I determined (best guess) that the motor itself was not working. I read several post regarding Kwikee Step issues and saw several recommendations for the Ford Taurus window motor. I opted to go with the AM Manufacturing original replacement motor. Cost $57.79 shipped from Oregon to CA. Couldn't be any happier with the replacement motor. It's basically an exact replacement.

Next, i'm going to invest in some chain lube or Kwik Lube to lubricate the moving parts of the steps.

Tags
kwikee