Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have the Kwikee Levelers and have a question about leveling. I have never had automatic levelers before and have read my manual and still confused.

When I deploy my levelers they go down 2 at a time (I get that) IF I want to lower them I dont see a way to do that. They seem to only go UP and if I want them lowered, (as in I raised one set too high) I have to lower ALL jacks and start over. Is tis correct??

Thanks. If you have a solution please keep it simple for this solo gal traveler. It is a 2007 Voyage 35A
OregonLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have the Kwikee Levelers and have a question about leveling. I have never had automatic levelers before and have read my manual and still confused.

When I deploy my levelers they go down 2 at a time (I get that) IF I want to lower them I dont see a way to do that. They seem to only go UP and if I want them lowered, (as in I raised one set too high) I have to lower ALL jacks and start over. Is tis correct??

Thanks. If you have a solution please keep it simple for this solo gal traveler. It is a 2007 Voyage 35A
Old 01-09-2008, 06:57 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OregonLuvr:

Thanks. If you have a solution please keep it simple for this solo gal traveler. It is a 2007 Voyage 35A </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which model of the Kwikee Levelers do you have? Here is a link to models #2000, 2010, 3000 and 30130; other manuals are available.

http://www.kwikeeproducts.com/PDFDoc...ingGuide04.pdf

Here's one listed for Winnebago...

http://www.kwikeeproducts.com/PDFDoc...innOpGuide.pdf

And lastly, here's the Service Guide...

http://www.kwikeeproducts.com/PDFDoc...viceKSG002.pdf
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Here's how mine work--yours are probably the same.

If using the auto mode, just press the button, sit still and wait. If all is well (if the site to too unlevel, you may get an "out of stroke" error, in which case you will have to raise the jacks, put blocks under the low one(s) and start again) you are done. If one of the jacks did not lower to the ground, you can use the appropriate button to get it down to the ground for better stability.

You cannot raise an individual jack--if you are not satisfied with the auto level solution, you must raise all the jacks and start over, or use the manual method.

The full auto method works for me 90% of the time, unless the site is really unlevel, then I use appropriate blocks under the legs and possibly wheels and use manual. Remember that it is dangerous to have your back wheels off the ground, so carry some blocks or ramps for them as well.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much for your replies and I do understand the auto mode which always requires a tad bit of tweaking. However, I want to know if you can LOWER one set if you tweak too much ha ha or if you have to start all over.

Manual mode does raise two at a time, my question is can you lower just one SET at a time, after reading my manual it does not address this so I am thinking the answer is NO. Am I correct.

thanks again
Old 01-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

OregonLuvr, I just went from the BigFoot levelers in my Class C which to the Kwikee Levelers in my Class A. Reading the directions it seems like you should be able to lower them. I haven't figured it out either.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OregonLuvr:
Thanks so much for your replies and I do understand the auto mode which always requires a tad bit of tweaking. However, I want to know if you can LOWER one set if you tweak too much ha ha or if you have to start all over.

Manual mode does raise two at a time, my question is can you lower just one SET at a time, after reading my manual it does not address this so I am thinking the answer is NO. Am I correct.

thanks again </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I'm confused by what you mean by lower and raise. By LOWER do you mean lowering the jacks toward the ground, or raising the jacks thus lowering the motorhome?

You can lower the jacks toward the ground with the control pad, but you cannot raise the jacks 2 at a time.

Jeep Wrangler
Old 01-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have the same levelers and if you raise the coach too much you have to push ALL UP and start over. I use the manual mode most of the time as my auto mode raises the coach up too much. Hard to get up and down the step when you have short legs....
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I often find my step is to high off the ground. We usually end up building a step out of those orange blocks we used for leveling before we got levelers. Made me glad we didn't have room in the garage at home for the blocks so I left them in the RV until I found a better location for them.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Gary,
Thanks for your reply, however my point is you CANNOT lower the jacks from the control panel after you have started to raise the MH and all jacks are down.(meaning if you raise the MH too high and want to lower one side set or rear set or front set) They only go UP. If I need to lower them I have to hit ALL UP and start over as the previous poster confirmed.

This seems like a dumb thing in my opinion. I get the left side a little too high my only option is to either raise the other side OR put the jacks all up and start over.

I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something in my manual or on my control panel.

I appreciate all your replies and will just continue to GO SLOW when leveling my MH.

I agree that Auto Mode often raises the MH way too high. I do better in Manual mode also. (AND I have long legs hah)

thanks again
Karen
Old 01-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

If you think the jacks aren't working as they are supposed to, you might try "resetting" the computer. It's easy to do--unscrew the control panel from the dash and disconnect the wiring harness that supplies power to the controls for a bout a minute, then plug them back in. (If you aren't sure which one it is, do like I did and disconnect them all.)

I've had to reset mine twice--once when nothing worked at all, and again about 6 months later when the auto mode failed to work. It only takes a few minutes and both times has solved my problems.

Jeep Wrangler
Old 01-10-2008, 06:22 AM   #12

Gary,
Thanks for your reply, however my point is you CANNOT lower the jacks from the control panel after you have started to raise the MH and all jacks are down.(meaning if you raise the MH too high and want to lower one side set or rear set or front set) They only go UP. If I need to lower them I have to hit ALL UP and start over as the previous poster confirmed.

This seems like a dumb thing in my opinion. I get the left side a little too high my only option is to either raise the other side OR put the jacks all up and start over.

I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something in my manual or on my control panel.

I appreciate all your replies and will just continue to GO SLOW when leveling my MH.

I agree that Auto Mode often raises the MH way too high. I do better in Manual mode also. (AND I have long legs hah)

thanks again
Karen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Sightseer only has the 'manual' style of levelers but your answer seems consistent with how mine work: if I raise one set too high (lowering the levelers) then I do have to start completely over by raising all the levelers.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Sorry for the confusion Oregonluvr, but now I think I understand your question.

You are correct in that the only control for retracting the jacks if you overextend them in one direction (either side to side or front to back) is to press the All Up button and start over. The jacks can be extended further with the directional buttons for "tweaking" but if you go too far they have to be fully retracted and you try again. I agree that it's a pain and more control would make life easier, but overall the system does work pretty well.

Looking at Kwikee's website, it appears that they do have a model that has independent Up and Down buttons for each leg, but not on the special Winnebago model.

Belgique--the reset may not help with an "out of level" problem, but the manual does describe how to calibrate the system and "teach" it whatlevel is. Here is the quote:

Turn the coach ignition to the accessory position. With the coach in a level attitude press and hold the ALL UP, BI-LEVEL FRONT and BI-LEVEL REAR buttons simulaneously. You should hear an audible beep. Turn the control ˜on' and all four indicator lights should now be lit indicating the level sensor is showing the coach to be level. If all four LEDs are not illuminated, repeat last 2 steps. (NOTE: Coach must be level first.)

Jeep Wrangler
Old 01-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Belgique--the reset may not help with an "out of level" problem, but the manual does describe how to calibrate the system and "teach" it whatlevel is. Here is the quote:

Turn the coach ignition to the accessory position. With the coach in a level attitude press and hold the ALL UP, BI-LEVEL FRONT and BI-LEVEL REAR buttons simulaneously. You should hear an audible beep. Turn the control ˜on' and all four indicator lights should now be lit indicating the level sensor is showing the coach to be level. If all four LEDs are not illuminated, repeat last 2 steps. (NOTE: Coach must be level first.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dang! I missed that in the manual. Thank you for being so kind as to not hammer me for not reading the manual more carefully Steve

ON EDIT: What an idiot I am. I don't have Kwikee...mine are Power Gear "Power Level Series". Our 35U had HWH and the descriptions above sounded just like the ones I have and I jumped to wrong assumption. Arrrrgh Sorry.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Manuals? Who reads manuals? I get all my answers here!

Jeep Wrangler
Old 01-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

You are correct that the jacks cannot be retracted individually. BUT the jacks do not have to be fully retracted in order to start over. What I do is press the all-up button and when the coach lowers to where I want to stop, press the power on/off button. This stops them immediately. Then turn the power back on and raise the low end or side manually. Works for me. Give it a try.
Chas
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:21 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChasA:
BUT the jacks do not have to be fully retracted in order to start over. What I do is press the all-up button and when the coach lowers to where I want to stop, press the power on/off button. This stops them immediately. Then turn the power back on and raise the low end or side manually.
Chas </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've done the same thing a few times myself but wondered if I was potentially going to damage the controler pad; looks like it's okay to do that.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone so much. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something and guess I am NOT. Lots of good tips here tho.

Thanks again
Karen